8th by tonight ?

Remove this Banner Ad

No way Etihad will host any finals. With all the bad press about shifting turf and injuries, surely the AFL can't risk it in the Finals.

If Carlton finish 6th, I'd guess it would look something like this:

Carlton Vs Fremantle (MCG) - 8:00PM, Fri. (N)
Geelong Vs St. Kilda - (MCG) - 2:30PM, Sat.
Sydney Vs Hawthorn - (TS) - 7:30PM, Sat. (N)
Collingwood Vs Western Bulldogs - (MCG) - 2:30PM, Sun.

This round, Etihad hosted Carlton v Geelong on Friday night and St. Kilda v Richmond on the Saturday, so they aren't too worried to play the Friday night Saturday combo at the same ground.

Fingers crossed anyway..

I think that the Friday night game will be Collingwood v Bulldogs at the MCG.

This weekend's game is going to be HUGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't see Hawthorn beating Collingwood, or the Lions beating the Swans, so the winner of the Carlton v Freo game will

1) Determine who gets a home final. The winner plays at home, the looser travels interstate

2) Determines who plays who. I have us avoiding Hawthorn, but could play either Freo or Sydney.

If we can get up and beat Freo next week then we set ourselves up for a home final aginst Freo next week !!!!!!!! That would be HUGE. Their ego's would be crushed after loosing their home finals chance, and they would have to travel to Melbourne after traveling to Tasmania last week.

Should be an interesting game !!!!!!!

I think that the Friday night game will be Collingwood v Bulldogs at the MCG.

Then Collingwood only get a six day break and seeing as they finished on top, they've earnt the right to the 8 day break and a Sunday game. The only way I see Carlton not playing on Friday Night is if we're playing in Sydney.

Then Collingwood only get a six day break and seeing as they finished on top, they've earnt the right to the 8 day break and a Sunday game. The only way I see Carlton not playing on Friday Night is if we're playing in Sydney.

I suspect your right, especially with the AFL probably wanting to play 3x MCG games. .. Saints/Geelong getting the Saturday night game. .. Especially if Carlton/Freo play a replay the first week of the finals. .. Either Fri @ MCG or Sat arvo @ Subi. ..

Demetrispew will announce the finals schedule on Channel 10 on Saturday night.

Looks like Geelong v St.Kilda will get the Friday night game next week (qualifying final).

If we win tonight, it looks like we will host a home final at Etihad on a Saturday afternoon, only if all 4 finals are in Melbourne.

I can't see Sydney losing to Brisbane at the Gabba.

Night TV bonanza

The Collingwood final is the marquee contest for broadcasters, but given the Pies finished on top they were regarded as deserving of the full seven-day break.

That would mean Geelong and St Kilda would have only six-day breaks to rest weary bodies before they are thrust into what will be a bruising first final.

Melbourne can still host all four finals, but Carlton would need to beat Fremantle, Hawthorn overcome Collingwood, and Sydney lose to Brisbane.

In that unlikely scenario, Hawthorn would probably host Sydney on Sunday afternoon at the MCG and Carlton would play Fremantle at Etihad Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

A game involving Fremantle needs to be played before Sunday to allow maximum recovery time for the winning side flying to or from Perth.

Night TV bonanza

According to that article, our only chance of playing week one at the MCG is to be playing against Hawthorn (ie we win tonight, and either Hawthorn win, or Hawks and Sydney both lose). It is a disgrace. If Carlton earn a home final, and there are only 3 games in Melbourne, we should get to play at the MCG.

According to that article, our only chance of playing week one at the MCG is to be playing against Hawthorn (ie we win tonight, and either Hawthorn win, or Hawks and Sydney both lose). It is a disgrace. If Carlton earn a home final, and there are only 3 games in Melbourne, we should get to play at the MCG.

Agreed Stamos .........

I am hoping that it will pan out in our favour. ;)

I can't see the Hawks beating Collingwood or Sydney losing to Brisbane.

Sydney v Hawks (ANZ Stadium) - Saturday afternoon

Carlton v Freo (MCG) - Sunday afternoon

Geelong v Bulldogs will play next Friday night (MCG)

Collingwood v Saints next Saturday night (MCG)

WE MUST WIN TONIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if this has been canvassed (and to be honest too lazy to read the entire thread to see) but the end results throw up a couple of conflicts on the wish list. But before I go through them let me say 2 things, first I dont much care where we finish this year, it is only blind hope that says we could win a flag this year so it really does not matter where we finish, who we play etc and the second point is if we are to win a flag this year or any other, although luck plays a part (such as where and who you play and when) a team really needs to be able to win anywhere anytime against any team to go on and win the cup.

But consider this (for this year and beyond). A win against Freo means a likely home final and perhaps a home final the following week (albeit as the away team) but it will most likely mean playing Freo again week one but then Saints or Cats the following week, whereas if we lose this week we go interstate the following week and then get to play the loser of Bulldogs/Pies and I would back the Pies to beat the dogs and we are a chance to beat them too, but I doubt we could beat either Saints or Cats, so theoretically we are probably better off playing the Hawks first week to get into that half of the draw, but the question then is could we beat them (the Hawks).

Then the other consideration is the draft is based on where you finish before the finals if I am not mistaken (I could be, I dont know actually) so we get a better pick finishing h&a 8th than we do 6th or even 5th depending on results. May be the difference between getting Darling or whoever in the depleted draft.

So to sum up, I dont much care how it goes. Short term (just tonight) I hate seeing us lose, but longer term we arguable might be better off.

So clearly we prefer to play at the G...

Would we rather the Hawks at the G or Freo at Ethihad?

Still would have to say Freo surely....

Carlton with a home final not at the MCG is like having a hamburger with no meat it just isn't right?

Isnt in the contract with the MCC that if there are 3 finals in melbourne, they have to be played at the MCG. I thought Ethihad was only used if there were 4. In that case they would have to Play the Carlton V Freo game on the Sunday arvo, regardless of the AFL wishlist. Surely a Saturday night game the next week would be enough rest ( 6.5 days)

Remove this Banner Ad

8th by tonight ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back