Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [C7/J.Ralph] LDU declares he wants to be a NM player for life; '24 SBM - congrats LDU

Remove this Banner Ad

Wardlaw does look incredibly good tho. I can see why people put him a head of LDU. Its like he's a harder, faster, slightly smaller version of LDU.
Wardlaw presents as having almost unbridled enthusiasm. He was obviously a bit raw and occasionally fell for some old tricks played by more experienced opponents but I can see him lifting the roof off of the MCG in years to come! Linking up with Sheez and LDU, Sausage and hopefully a couple of the new guys, the sky might just about be the limit.

Not that I'm getting ahead of myself or anything.

George has the highest ceiling on the list and then probably McKercher if we are talking raw potential.

Tarryn is certainly damaging, but doesn't have a fraction of the athletic potential of Wardlaw. It's also why I have LDU ahead of Thomas also.

McKercher like LDU is just a bit of a unicron in terms of pack busting raw acceleration. When you factor in he's also an elite gut runner, a raking kick, natural accumulator and hits the score board, he edges LDU who is a sledgehammer.

I'd rank them as:

1. Wardlaw
2. McKercher
3. LDU
4. Thomas
5. Sheezel
6. George
7. Duursma

then a gap to the likes of Phillips, Powell, Curtis, Zurhaar etc.

Wardlaw, McKercher and LDU all have #1 player in the comp at a stage of their careers type ceilings.
I reckon that if the penny drops for Tarryn, if he decides that he wants to be the best player in the league, and assuming he plays in the midfield, I can see him averaging 30+ possessions and 1.5 goals per game.

But it's all fervent hope and harmless speculation. We're all hoping that Wardlaw is durable enough to play entire seasons, and McKercher, George and Duursma haven't yet played an AFL match.

I also think that as Paul Curtis and Ford can gain a high standard of match fitness and consistency, they could be rated as amongst the best players of their type within the league.

I reckon that if the penny drops for Tarryn, if he decides that he wants to be the best player in the league, and assuming he plays in the midfield, I can see him averaging 30+ possessions and 1.5 goals per game.

But it's all fervent hope and harmless speculation. We're all hoping that Wardlaw is durable enough to play entire seasons, and McKercher, George and Duursma haven't yet played an AFL match.

I also think that as Paul Curtis and Ford can gain a high standard of match fitness and consistency, they could be rated as amongst the best players of their type within the league.
Averaging 30 plus and 1.5 goals a game is AFL hall of legends type stuff. I’d settle for averaging low 20s and a goal a game which still brings him into all Australian contention

Wardlaw does look incredibly good tho. I can see why people put him a head of LDU. Its like he's a harder, faster, slightly smaller version of LDU.

He's an elite two way player for his age and does it both sides of the contest, with respect to LDU, he's a one way runner in every sense of the word.

That's their main differences.

Averaging 30 plus and 1.5 goals a game is AFL hall of legends type stuff. I’d settle for averaging low 20s and a goal a game which still brings him into all Australian contention
I could live with that.

In his 12 games last year, Tarryn had 235 disposals and 11 goals. I believe that he still has scope for a bit more improvement. Here's to hope.

List of players who averaged at least 20 disposals and a goal a game in 2023:

Trac
Dusty
Shai B

That’s it. That’s the list.

George has the highest ceiling on the list and then probably McKercher if we are talking raw potential.

Tarryn is certainly damaging, but doesn't have a fraction of the athletic potential of Wardlaw. It's also why I have LDU ahead of Thomas also.

McKercher like LDU is just a bit of a unicron in terms of pack busting raw acceleration. When you factor in he's also an elite gut runner, a raking kick, natural accumulator and hits the score board, he edges LDU who is a sledgehammer.

I'd rank them as:

1. Wardlaw
2. McKercher
3. LDU
4. Thomas
5. Sheezel
6. George
7. Duursma

Wardlaw, McKercher and LDU all have #1 player in the comp at a stage of their careers type ceilings.
Sorry man, but I have to disagree with this ranking. TT's ceiling is a top 5 player in the comp. I very much struggle to believe that he's behind three others at his own club ceiling-wise

I'd rank them as:

1. Wardlaw
2. McKercher
3. LDU
4. Thomas
5. Sheezel
6. George
7. Duursma

Sheezel's talent and professionalism will see him be the best of the lot.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

agree.with all of the above, TT has the ability to be so damaging with every possie, but you feel like LDU is the player to put the team on his back and drag us to a win. If we got 20+ games out of both next season we are absolutely laughing.

Highest ceiling players on our list.
TT
LDU
Wardlaw
Sheeze
Durrs
McKercher

Most Important
LDU
Larkey
Sheeze
Wardlaw
TT
Louge

Also just picture a centre square midfield of TT, LDU and Wardlaw, how dynamic and all players who can happily be the extractor or first receiver.
Larkey has the potential to be the best goal kicker in the competition. I'd say that he should be up there on that list. TT has AA potential but Larkey was AA as a KPF on a 3 win side.

I'd put Sheezel and Wardlaw above TT on potential.

Sheezel has the rare potential to be a guy who is a brilliant match winner on individual plays, like a Cyril Rioli, but also get you 40 possessions. The list of players like that are very small. GAJ is one of them and he's the best player of this century.

TT is 69 games in (nice) and his career high is 26 touches. He's just unlikely to be that 40 possession type of player. He has AA potential but Sheezel has top 20 all-time potential.

For such a star, Sheezel is so underrated around here. And this isn't even including the intangibles like leadership and being a good teammate.

I'm as big a TT fan as you'll find but Sheezel is on a different level.

I'd rank them as:

1. Wardlaw
2. McKercher
3. LDU
4. Thomas
5. Sheezel
6. George
7. Duursma

I'm really interested in the George hype. His draft highlights looked good without being extraordinary, and his stats were fine for his position. I hope he realizes his potential but keen to know what you've seen to have him so highly rated? Is he going to be a medium forward long-term or do you see him having impact in other parts of the ground. Although different players, I'm interested to see how we fit George, Duursma, Zurhaar into the same forward line. Stephenson and Curtis might also make it tight though I see both of these players being able to move up to a wing/half forward.

On potential, if they both pan out I wouldn't be shocked if it's a Dane Swan and Scott Pendlebury dynamic between McKercher and Sheezel.

McKercher with the workrate, the burst speed, and the ability to hit the scoreboard from the middle, and Sheezel with the effortless class, leadership, and consistency. We're very lucky to have both, and hopefully we're debating which champion is better for the next fifteen years.

LDU's best is about as good as we've seen from anybody. He has had about four or five games now where he has just done whatever he wants and completely dominated. His potential is achieving consistency and prolonged dominance, and if reached he'll be hard to top.

Wardlaw's style might be the most impactful in the AFL if he lives up to his potential. I've said before that I don't think there will be a player in the AFL who will impact winning more once Wardlaw reaches his prime. I think he has scope to be the best two-way midfielder in the league.

JGreezy makes a good call that Larkey belongs in this conversation as well. He started to play with a ton of confidence towards the end of the year, which if carried forward into 2024 gives him scope to improve towards the 80+ range.

That would be my top five on potential. It's a seriously good group, and even with all of Thomas's talent I struggle to put him ahead of any of these names. I could be convinced to put George next, but for now I will hold off until he starts playing games.

I'll need to see what Duursma's class and IQ looks like at the next level before I start factoring him into these talks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry man, but I have to disagree with this ranking. TT's ceiling is a top 5 player in the comp. I very much struggle to believe that he's behind three others at his own club ceiling-wise

I disagree with you.

It's an imaginary ceiling in his case.

He doesn't have the endurance side of his game and never will.

He's a guy that can look like the best player in the comp for 1 game a season or 7-8 quarters per year. Not for a 2-3 year period.

I doubt he's ever going to be an AA, because I don't think he has the consistency in his game to be one. He's a game breaker and one we hope can become a lot more consistent.

His ceiling is still extremely high because of his skill set, I had him ahead of Sheezel after all (which is probably a mistake relooking at it).

In Wardlaw, LDU, McKercher and even Sheezel's cases, I think their absolute top ceiling is entirely realistic.

Last edited:
Wasn’t TT like our best rated player with those few games he played at the end of last year?

That’s the difference. He doesn’t need elite endurance anything. He is just a freak footballer. Plain and simply - he can turn or dictate the way a game is going should he chose to. But like LDU needs to work on keeping his body conditioned for the high intensity he operates, TT needs to maintain his intensity and focus.

It may be unfortunate given his recent work ethic, but TT I believe is the most talented guy on our list

The thing that separates GW from LDU is his defensive intent. The guy as we have seen in snippets could be one of our most creative and damaging players out of a contest and moving the ball forward. But his desire to hunt, disrupt and shutdown the ball and man is second to none. I’ve never seen a player since Archer who plays like a predator hunting the African savanna.

He's an elite two way player for his age and does it both sides of the contest, with respect to LDU, he's a one way runner in every sense of the word.

That's their main differences.
The thing that separates GW from LDU is his defensive intent. The guy as we have seen in snippets could be one of our most creative and damaging players out of a contest and moving the ball forward. But his desire to hunt, disrupt and shutdown the ball and man is second to none. I’ve never seen a player since Archer who plays like a predator hunting the African savanna.
There will come a time when GW doesn't do anywhere near as much defensive work cos he doesn't need to. (Basically i agree tho.)

On potential, if they both pan out I wouldn't be shocked if it's a Dane Swan and Scott Pendlebury dynamic between McKercher and Sheezel.

McKercher with the workrate, the burst speed, and the ability to hit the scoreboard from the middle, and Sheezel with the effortless class, leadership, and consistency. We're very lucky to have both, and hopefully we're debating which champion is better for the next fifteen years.

LDU's best is about as good as we've seen from anybody. He has had about four or five games now where he has just done whatever he wants and completely dominated. His potential is achieving consistency and prolonged dominance, and if reached he'll be hard to top.

Wardlaw's style might be the most impactful in the AFL if he lives up to his potential. I've said before that I don't think there will be a player in the AFL who will impact winning more once Wardlaw reaches his prime. I think he has scope to be the best two-way midfielder in the league.

JGreezy makes a good call that Larkey belongs in this conversation as well. He started to play with a ton of confidence towards the end of the year, which if carried forward into 2024 gives him scope to improve towards the 80+ range.

That would be my top five on potential. It's a seriously good group, and even with all of Thomas's talent I struggle to put him ahead of any of these names. I could be convinced to put George next, but for now I will hold off until he starts playing games.

I'll need to see what Duursma's class and IQ looks like at the next level before I start factoring him into these talks.
I think Larkey was getting the sort of media respect that somehow elevates players from good to incredible at the tail end of the year.

I would love to see him begin really impacting marking contests and forgetting about the umpires. If he can do that, he will be in the top 5 at the club player over his career.

Last edited:
For mine TT has the highest ceiling because of the damage per possession that he can inflict and that fact that he's shown to be capable of getting the pill 20+ times a game plus kicking 2+ goals on a semi regular basis. His disposals from the midfield always seem to be pushing the ball forwards or to the clear advantage of a team mate.

LDU has had several ridiculous games where he looks like the man, the best player in the league. The 22 game vs coll springs to mind where he was extracting centre clearances for fun. By no means am I trying to undersell LDU and at the end of the day these debates are a bit arbitrary when the players are playing on the same team.

Hopefully LDU and TT can become our GAJ and Stevie Johnson combo.

For mine TT has the highest ceiling because of the damage per possession that he can inflict and that fact that he's shown to be capable of getting the pill 20+ times a game plus kicking 2+ goals on a semi regular basis. His disposals from the midfield always seem to be pushing the ball forwards or to the clear advantage of a team mate.

LDU has had several ridiculous games where he looks like the man, the best player in the league. The 22 game vs coll springs to mind where he was extracting centre clearances for fun. By no means am I trying to undersell LDU and at the end of the day these debates are a bit arbitrary when the players are playing on the same team.

Hopefully LDU and TT can become our GAJ and Stevie Johnson combo.
With LDU, Thomas, Sheezel, Larkey and maybe Wardlaw (hamstrings permitting), we potentially have a team of champions. The next tier of players looks solid as well, in terms of Simpkin, Scott and Logue. George, Duursma and McKercher are waiting in the wings. Curtis and Ford have shown potential.

Hopeful that Clarkson can mold this group into a champion, multiple premiership team.

A lot of people saying the duurs reminds them of Shaun Burgoyne, but if we're serious about someone comparing to Shaun Burgoyne it's tarryn Thomas imo. He is silk. Has maybe gone a little too hard in previous years where the boys said let's f***** go and we all got injured, but I believe late last year when we were closer to winning games he found what he's really capable of. Fortunately for the boys on the list tomorrow's a new day, and we all start with 0 wins 0 losses entering 2024. Great to see ldu putting in the work in the pre season, someone said earlier in this thread it's his midfield now, and truer words were never spoken. He's gonna have a littany of talent around him, hopefully with the wheels to carry us to a few more victories.

If this thread were ten years ago, the duurs would be compared to James hird. Even the way he speaks oozes confidence and class, and I have complete faith that he has probably watched footy all his life and at least once said I can be that player. Might be too young. I'm telling ya, if there's a player u would take after Carey in the 90s it'd be hird, but we made the bastards pay, lucky us getting the top talent before they change the draft to a lottery!!

A lot of people saying the duurs reminds them of Shaun Burgoyne, but if we're serious about someone comparing to Shaun Burgoyne it's tarryn Thomas imo. He is silk. Has maybe gone a little too hard in previous years where the boys said let's f***** go and we all got injured, but I believe late last year when we were closer to winning games he found what he's really capable of. Fortunately for the boys on the list tomorrow's a new day, and we all start with 0 wins 0 losses entering 2024. Great to see ldu putting in the work in the pre season, someone said earlier in this thread it's his midfield now, and truer words were never spoken. He's gonna have a littany of talent around him, hopefully with the wheels to carry us to a few more victories.

If this thread were ten years ago, the duurs would be compared to James hird. Even the way he speaks oozes confidence and class, and I have complete faith that he has probably watched footy all his life and at least once said I can be that player. Might be too young. I'm telling ya, if there's a player u would take after Carey in the 90s it'd be hird, but we made the bastards pay, lucky us getting the top talent before they change the draft to a lottery!!
Maybe an inside joke amongst the footballing media that the duurs and tarryn Thomas are going to be rotating through midfield half forward and look like godsends in an improving north team. Just a thought.

Wasn’t TT like our best rated player with those few games he played at the end of last year?

That’s the difference. He doesn’t need elite endurance anything. He is just a freak footballer. Plain and simply - he can turn or dictate the way a game is going should he chose to. But like LDU needs to work on keeping his body conditioned for the high intensity he operates, TT needs to maintain his intensity and focus.

It may be unfortunate given his recent work ethic, but TT I believe is the most talented guy on our list
Agree. I've had this view for years.

I rate Thomas but he’s been a train wreck and hasn’t signed anything yet. IMO I think he’ll leave at the end of this year.
I would be very surprised if he left at the end of the year, he loves the club and the players & "Clarko", with the signature, it will take care of itself this year. I rate Tarryn and LDU as our stars with our captains to lead us out of the mud, and they will. Tarryn's potential is actually outrageously good, I have him right up there with the stars of this competition if he can stay on the park this season, that's how good he will be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [C7/J.Ralph] LDU declares he wants to be a NM player for life; '24 SBM - congrats LDU

Remove this Banner Ad

Back