Player Watch #9: Trent Cotchin is an obscenely good 3 x Premiership Captain, Victorian Captain & Brownlow Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there some commonly held belief that Dimma didn’t take a pay cut when footy dept salaries were chopped across the board?
Covid cuts were quite open and transparent but there seems to be a narrative that Hardwick didn’t get cut.
Not my understanding.
I see the AFL have changed the rules so the Cold Coach coach gets 20%outside the soft cap

Yep, agree. Hardwick ****ed the team ethos with his behaviour. The head coach has to be flawless in setting example for others to follow.

He does not have to be flawless.
He’s just another bloke like you and I. He was the footy coach. It was his job.

Think you have to pretty naive to think it wouldn't affect performance to a certain degree. Between 2017-2020, what I believe to a fairly wank term 'Richmond man' has been used repeatedly by our players and coaches. Now what makes a 'Richmond man' who really ******* knows but you can sure as hell bet that cheating on your missus of 20 plus years whilst being the senior coach wouldn't fall under that banner. A group that is built on trust, vulnerability and family to then have a senior coach delivering those same messages it doesn't have the same meaning/effect.

If the team suffered because of Dimma’s marriage split then that’s on the team, not on Dimma. What’s he supposed to do, stay in an unhappy marriage and pretend his home life is all happy families just to make sure a few players don’t lose focus?

If any of our players were lesser players or let their football focus suffer because someone they don’t have any responsibility for made a decision relating to their own life then heck me, how pathetically weak is that?

I believe Cotch’s relationship with Dimma was never quite the same as the Cotchin family was very close with Danielle so of course there would have been a shift in emotions. But it wouldn’t have affected much at all around the club and it’s a weak cop out to blame that, which I don’t believe Cotchin is doing.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If the team suffered because of Dimma’s marriage split then that’s on the team, not on Dimma. What’s he supposed to do, stay in an unhappy marriage and pretend his home life is all happy families just to make sure a few players don’t lose focus?

If any of our players were lesser players or let their football focus suffer because someone they don’t have any responsibility for made a decision relating to their own life then * me, how pathetically weak is that?

I believe Cotch’s relationship with Dimma was never quite the same as the Cotchin family was very close with Danielle so of course there would have been a shift in emotions. But it wouldn’t have affected much at all around the club and it’s a weak cop out to blame that, which I don’t believe Cotchin is doing.

Far more complex then that. The mental side of football is just as important as the tactical side of it if not more, our dynasty team played a very simple brand of football which required a lot of belief in the system which Dimma is ultimately responsible for getting his players and fellow coaches/staff to buy into.

You can ignore it all you like but somewhere within our four walls the personal relationships off the field will intersect with the relationships on the field/in the box. It happens in any form of life, not going to be any different inside a sporting club where you build some of the strongest relationships you will have in your life. I refer back to the term 'Richmond man' and whilst I don't think there is any actual framework that outlines what is a 'Richmond man' I would think terms such as selflessness, courage and vulnerability among others would be associated with it. Now if the most noted leader at your club behaves in a way unbecoming to those terms then already you have people questioning their leadership which will in some shape or form will affect performance.

Now in saying that I don't think Dimmas affair would have had much impact on the group as outside the senior guys a lot of the younger players have more to do with their line coaches and they likely wouldn't give a shit, while the older guys are mature to not let affect them. I do however think it was somewhat a precursor for things to come and the way he has behaved since makes me happy he is no longer at the head of the table.

Is there some commonly held belief that Dimma didn’t take a pay cut when footy dept salaries were chopped across the board?
Covid cuts were quite open and transparent but there seems to be a narrative that Hardwick didn’t get cut.
Not my understanding.
How and why did McRae and leppitsch resign end of 2020?
I assumed it was soft cap related?

How and why did McRae and leppitsch resign end of 2020?
I assumed it was soft cap related?

It is my understanding the entire footy dept took cuts. Across the board.
If you remember there were mass layoffs across the footy industry (except HQ!) and everyone took pay cuts, Hardwick included. That was in 2020. So assume Leppa decided to move, outside the industry mind you, while those circumstances were still reality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is my understanding the entire footy dept took cuts. Across the board.
If you remember there were mass layoffs across the footy industry (except HQ!) and everyone took pay cuts, Hardwick included. That was in 2020. So assume Leppa decided to move, outside the industry mind you, while those circumstances were still reality.
On top of those cuts was the 100k fine too.
Which no one seemed to know if individuals would pay, the club. It ended up being out of the soft cap.
Seemed harsh decision from the AFL.

COVID was a weird time. Dimma made a few comments indicating he was slow to adjust.

The fines from 2 incidents at the hub.. Brooke getting her nails done.
FFS. How innocuous. Nail salon, photo on Instagram.
Nevertheless. Strike 1.
Almost make it through but no. Drunk fighting.

Regrettably Brooke Cotch is a factor in the predicament the club found itself in 2021.

I have not read the book. And won't. Sports Bio.

They've boringasbatshit

What Cotch has done for this club is beyond words.

If any of our players were lesser players or let their football focus suffer because someone they don’t have any responsibility for made a decision relating to their own life then * me, how pathetically weak is that?

Mrs H was indirectly important to the club, you can't say it had no effect on the Team especially when a tight bond like ours was created.

We know they are professional footy players but they are also Human, mental side of the game is as important as anything.
See after the 2020 season, we were off by miles. that should tell you all you need to know.

Mrs H was indirectly important to the club, you can't say it had no effect on the Team especially when a tight bond like ours was created.

We know they are professional footy players but they are also Human, mental side of the game is as important as anything.
See after the 2020 season, we were off by miles. that should tell you all you need to know.
The Cotchs were tight with the Hardwicks
Nor sure how tight the other 40 odd were.

You might be right. But we also know that Richmond did not win a single final from 2013-2022 (losing finals in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2022) outside of the years that Leppitsch and McRae were at the club, who both served 2017-2020. That could explain the drop off as much as the emotional impact of Dimma’s marriage breakdown.

You might be right. But we also know that Richmond did not win a single final from 2013-2022 (losing finals in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2022) outside of the years that Leppitsch and McRae were at the club, who both served 2017-2020. That could explain the drop off as much as the emotional impact of Dimma’s marriage breakdown.
I don't think Dimma is a great tactician. he Himself did say many times he had very smart people behind him.

cotch-goal-gif.755435

So many great moments but this one would almost top it. Brings a tear to the eye.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #9: Trent Cotchin is an obscenely good 3 x Premiership Captain, Victorian Captain & Brownlow Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

Back