A Fair Comparison - 1989 team -v- 2007 team

Remove this Banner Ad

B S Hocking (8/10)- T Darcy (6/10) - A Bews(7/10)
HB M Bos (7/10)- M Schulze (5.5/10) - M Yeates (7.5/10)
C N Bruns (7/10) - P Couch (9/10)- S Malakellis (5/10)
HF G Ablett (9.5/10)- B Stoneham (9/10) - B Lindner (7/10)
F G Exell (7/10)- B Brownless (7/10) - R Scott (6/10)
R D Bourke (7/10) - M Bairstow (8.5/10) - G Hocking (8.5/10)
i/c D Flanigan (6.5/10), D Morgan (5/10), S Hamilton (6/10)& R Sterrett (5/10)
Total Team Score = 154
B D Milburn (9/10) - M Scarlett (9/10) - C Enright (7/10)
HB A Mackie (7/10) - M Egan (8/10) - T Harley (6/10)
C D Wojcinski (8/10) - G Ablett (9/10) - M Rooke (7.5/10)
HF P Chapman (8.5/10) - C Mooney (8.5/10) - J Corey (8/10)
F M Stokes (6.5/10) - N Ablett (6) - S Johnson (7.5)
R B Ottens (7.5) - C Ling (8.5) - J Bartel (9)
i/c J Selwood (7), M Blake (6.5), K Tenace (5) , T Varcoe (5.5)

Total Team score = 164.5

A.Bews - 7/10 you got to be kidding. The rat was a 9.9 game in game out

G.Exell - 7/10 ? please explain!

R.Scott - 6/10 remember GF day. 2 point deduction for each set shot he missed

68 goals in 89 to GE - better than any Cat in the last 10 years!!!!!

We all know Kent would've kicked more if he was still playing with us... :p
There's no way Bartel and Ling are better than Buddha, unless you're basing it on form. Even then you'd be pushing it...

Why Ray Sterrett, he only played one game in '89. :confused:

Surely David Cameron would be in, he played in the GF after all.

Wow I Have Seen Some Crap About Footy On This Site But Rating Abletts Game A 9. 5 Out Of 10 Is The Best Yet .......

What Did He Do Wrong Not Too Get The Extra .5 Too Please You Enough Too Rate His Game At 10 / 10 ?

No Man Ever Before Him Or Maybe Ever Again In The History Of Footy Has Nearly Beaten The Premeirship Side Off His Own Boot .....

Too Watch Him That Day Was The Greatest Effort I Have Ever Seen On A Football Feild , And I Know Alot Of Real Footy People Think The Same Way .

Wow I Have Seen Some Crap About Footy On This Site But Rating Abletts Game A 9. 5 Out Of 10 Is The Best Yet .......

What Did He Do Wrong Not Too Get The Extra .5 Too Please You Enough Too Rate His Game At 10 / 10 ?

No Man Ever Before Him Or Maybe Ever Again In The History Of Footy Has Nearly Beaten The Premeirship Side Off His Own Boot .....

Too Watch Him That Day Was The Greatest Effort I Have Ever Seen On A Football Feild , And I Know Alot Of Real Footy People Think The Same Way .

wow.. you need to learn how to write buddy..! you dont have to use a capital at the start of every word.. lol! but yes.. i do understand what you saying.. i would have given ablett 10/10..

Wow did Gavin Excell really kick 68 goals in 89?? :eek: I have vague memories of him as a player, but never knew that. I think I must have ignored him because my favourite players were Ablett, Couch and Bairstow around then.

Seems he kicked only another 43 throughout the rest of his career. I also don't remember Excell as anyone other than an ordinary player and a bit of a goal sneak now an again. There was a few guns running around that year doin some freaky things maybe Gav's 68 snags slipped under my radar, or is buried in layers of dead brain cells . Still don't rate him a 7, not against some of your other 7's anyway.
but I like the thread why don't you do the 94,95 team and we can rip that apart too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not much of a comparison really. The cats of 89 had some out and out stars and some out and out dogs. Highest scoring team but only seventh on the defensive front. Players like David Cameron were regular players, but even allowing for the changes in the game, current players such as Brent Prismall are much better. We're a much more even team.

As good as we were in 89, the Hawks that year were even better. I'd go far as saying the tables are reversed for Hawthorn and Geelong this time around in terms of comaparitive strength.

I cant believe this comparison. On his day Gary Ablett senior could do more than half of today's Geelong team put together. Plus Stoneham, Brownless and Couch were no hacks either. Reckon that team would have taken today's Cats (with no disrespect) to the cleaners.

The difference between the late 80's and early 90's Cat's teams were that they got to a few Grand Finals. Wasn't it 3 in 6 years? Thats a fair effort. Sure you didn't win one but its still a pretty good achievement.

The current team hasn't even made it to one GF and in fact last year they didn't even make the finals. Reckon they have a long way to go to catch up to that team.

Remove this Banner Ad

A Fair Comparison - 1989 team -v- 2007 team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back