A first for AFL Stats

Remove this Banner Ad

Lunchtime

All Australian
Mar 23, 2024
AFL Club
Richmond
When it comes to AFL stats, there's always a first for everything. This is the first time an AFL team has missed the finals after being in the top 3 on the ladder with 4 games remaining. All Fremantle had to do was beat Port Adelaide.....and they lost.

The self destruct button was pressed. Carlton make the top 8, Fremantle miss out on Finals footy.

Stats galore.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20240825_155219_Facebook.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240825_155219_Facebook.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 102

Pretty sure this would be a first, but I don't care enough to check. Currently we have 5 teams whose last finals win was a grand final win:

Collingwood
Geelong
Melbourne
Richmond
Hawthorn

If Dogs beat Hawks, and Geelong go out in straight sets, we'll add a sixth to the list. A full third of the comp.

Pretty sure this would be a first, but I don't care enough to check. Currently we have 5 teams whose last finals win was a grand final win:

Collingwood
Geelong
Melbourne
Richmond
Hawthorn

If Dogs beat Hawks, and Geelong go out in straight sets, we'll add a sixth to the list. A full third of the comp.
Your wording is terrible.

Who and how and why would Hawks and Geelong, two teams already on that list, continuing to not win, somehow add a 6th team to it?
I thought the same as the delivery was horrendous but after

Maybe have another think about that one!

It made sense.

Bulldogs def Hawthorn = Hawthorn's last final win was the 2015GF
And if Geelong goes out in straight sets = Geelongs last final win was the 2022GF

The other 3 (Collingwood, Melbourne and Richmond) didn't make finals. So all 5 would have their last Finals win as a GF

And whoever wins the premiership will be 6.

The comment by Bushdid911 is correct. But the wording is so terrible it almost gives one an aneurysm

I remember the Demons being a game clear top in 2004 with 4 rounds left :$

Their previous three games were against the bottom 3. They didn't win again.
Not quite. They were indeed a game clear in first after round 18, but lost to Port (finished 1st), Sydney (6th), Carlton (11th) & West Coast (7th). Ended the year 5th and are Essendon's most recent finals victory as a result.

When it comes to AFL stats, there's always a first for everything. This is the first time an AFL team has missed the finals after being in the top 3 on the ladder with 4 games remaining. All Fremantle had to do was beat Port Adelaide.....and they lost.

The self destruct button was pressed. Carlton make the top 8, Fremantle miss out on Finals footy.
Serves them right for signing Woodside as their major sponsor despite the opposition to it.

Not quite. They were indeed a game clear in first after round 18, but lost to Port (finished 1st), Sydney (6th), Carlton (11th) & West Coast (7th). Ended the year 5th and are Essendon's most recent finals victory as a result.
you misread and therefore the meaning escaped you, I said their previous three games were against the bottom 3. i.e. prior to being top and not winning again (against better oppo as you outlined).

It made sense.

And if Geelong goes out in straight sets = Geelongs last final win was the 2022GF

The other 3 (Collingwood, Melbourne and Richmond) didn't make finals. So all 5 would have their last Finals win as a GF

The comment by Bushdid911 is correct. But the wording is so terrible it almost gives one an aneurysm
It may have been a tad cryptic by not including the punch line, or perhaps the punchline was obvious?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood
Geelong
Melbourne
Richmond
Hawthorn

You might say that's the equalisation system working - you win a flag and you drop off.

You might say that's the equalisation system working - you win a flag and you drop off.
Another fun fact, West Coast and Bulldogs could also be on this last if they didn't have the good fortune of coming up against Essendon in the finals.

West Coast beat Essendon in 2019 for their only finals win since the 2018 flag. And Bulldogs beat Essendon week 1 of finals in 2021 to kickstart their run to the grand final.

Even equalisation can only do so much to combat Essendon's finals record

Or that experience is key now. Only old teams can win it but maintaining the level after saluting is hard.
There does seem to be a trend towards older and older premiership sides. If I recall correctly, Hawthorn 2015 was the oldest ever, then Geelong 2022 broke that record, then Collingwood 2023 broke that record.

A friend of mine is a tennis fan and said (in the 2010s) that the world's best tennis stars were often teenagers in decades gone by, but now players in their thirties dominate. Federer, Nadal and Djokovic all won championships in that age bracket.

It made sense.

I'm in awe of your ability to decode this. I wanted to, but I gave up thinking it was impossible. I'm both smarter and dumber for viewing this thread.

Was thinking Sam Docherty playing against the same side at the same venue (Lions at the Gabba) in 3 consecutive career games is a first but someone probably did in a 2nd Semi Final-Grand Final-Round 1 GF replay sequence at the G’ back in the day.

Was thinking Sam Docherty playing against the same side at the same venue (Lions at the Gabba) in 3 consecutive career games is a first but someone probably did in a 2nd Semi Final-Grand Final-Round 1 GF replay sequence at the G’ back in the day.
Useless AFL stats covered this, most names included the 1948 drawn grand final and replay in it.

Remove this Banner Ad

A first for AFL Stats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back