A history of biffo between the Dogs and the Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

The game that Sumich kicked 13 was an absolute nightmare. He was kicking them from everywhere. I think we lost that game by 100 plus points.

I remember watching the start on tv, and seeing Adrian Campbell walk towards Sumich, and take up his position at full back(he usually played as a forward). I said to myself "We are in trouble here". I think Sumich had 6 or so in the first quarter. It wasn't one of our more inspired match ups.

The other thing about the Southern incident and the melee was the total shambles at the tribunial.

Both teams were playing in finals the next week. As I recall we were playing Geelong(the Brownless kick after the siren game). Well this was before the days when the video reports came out on Monday. By the time the dumbkopfs at the AFL actually charged the players, it was something like Thursday with the upshot that both teams would be having their charges heard on Friday night up to midnight, just before the final.

As an added twist, this was just before the melee rule was brought in so our good mate Ian Collins offered a sweetner to both clubs. If they sign a form to allow players to be charged under the new rule(it hadn't been brought in yet) then most likely the players would be all fined and allowed to play in the finals.

Well, the eagles thought this was a good deal and signed it and went ahead with the marathon tribunial session just before the final. We said "up yours", took the AFL to court on the friday, and the court ruled that it was not fair that we have to attend a tribunial hearing so late, and we were granted until the following monday to have the cases heard. And just for good measure, we went to the press and told them that Ian Collins had offered both clubs secret deals. The proverbial hit the fan after this, and some AFL scribes say it was one of the main things that stopped Ian Collins getting the top job.

Anyway, our players all went up the next week, and although most got only fines, I seem to recall Danny getting some weeks out of it.
Can't help wondering if this was behind the 'rub out Granty' business, to get revenge on the club. :(

Ahhh...the good old days with biffo and bad blood all round! God I miss them!

Good luck for Sunday's game! Hopefully will be a good match! :thumbsu:

The game that Sumich kicked 13 was an absolute nightmare. He was kicking them from everywhere. I think we lost that game by 100 plus points.

I remember watching the start on tv, and seeing Adrian Campbell walk towards Sumich, and take up his position at full back(he usually played as a forward). I said to myself "We are in trouble here". I think Sumich had 6 or so in the first quarter. It wasn't one of our more inspired match ups.

Wasn't it Paul Gow or was it another time when Sumich kicked a bag against us?

Wasn't it Paul Gow or was it another time when Sumich kicked a bag against us?

My memory told me it was Adrian Campbell but your memory is usually better than mine chef, so I will doublecheck it :eek:

Edit: As usual you are 100% spot on Chef. I found the game and Gow is listed as playing but not Campbell.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=4034

I just checked the year before(1990), round 17 at the WACA, was where Campbell got a bag kicked on him by Sumich.

We looked after Sumich well through the years. He would have been really looking forward to playing us back in those days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then Gherig retalliated and made contact with an umpire.

He did.

Amazing when you look at the Shaw incident and he got 1 while IIRC Gehrig got only two and hit the umpire with a fair bit of force.

Amazing history really, personal favourite was the low scoring 99 final for obvious reasons. Someone made mention of the final were the Dogs wiped us off the park (98 by the way). That was a terrible day.

Had some really good games between the clubs, Game at the WACA were WB kicked the first 8 only for the Eagles to kick the next 8 in the 2nd quarter and end up winning. Dogs winning by less than a kick at Whitten oval (99 Maybe?). The Sumich Incident. Gardiner and Cousins Incident.

Hopefully this can continue on the W/E. Good Luck Guys.

I reckon there is a good chance there will be a bit of aggro in this game after last weeks effort with a fired up Woosha putting everyone on notice. We want to make Subi a fortress again and we will be playing some hard footy on Sunday, pity Beau Waters isn't playing...

Oh how I miss Danny Southern.

Didnt the Gardiner incident trigger the "in the gun" debate, where apparently the Doggies targetted a young player to rough up every game?

Well Michael Gardiner has ended up playing alongside a player with similar affinity for his Barbie Doll fashion collection; Justin Koshitzke.

Never have Italian named players less than 180cm in height caused an AFL teams larger 195cm + & 15 kg + heavier ruckmen such terror.

Liberatore and Giansiracusa

But I suppose any side mainly built by Grant Thomas will often be top heavy in political correct outside midfeilder and soft big man types.

:cool:

I reckon there is a good chance there will be a bit of aggro in this game after last weeks effort with a fired up Woosha putting everyone on notice. We want to make Subi a fortress again and we will be playing some hard footy on Sunday, pity Beau Waters isn't playing...

Wasn't it the 1998 Qualifying Final that your coach "Woosha" after being sent over on the Jet by Malthouse, was refused a start in the final by Malthouse ?

The one you lost by about 70 points..

Hence making his last game of football the previous match.

And if I remember rightly, young Woosha fired a few words off to the media about Malthouse's non selection of him.

Chris Lewis tried roughing up Super McPherson at Subi in 1992. He picked on the wrong guy. Super slammed a couple of rights into Lewis' nose. THere was no blood rule in those days but Lewis had to use it.

Libba made Cousins cry.

Well maybe he took it like a man. Cousins at the time though was just a skinny kid.

I know he was one of yours and as such you will defend him to the end, however he was known to West Coast supporters as a dirty scragger and was well hated over here.

On that note I think I will leave.:)

Good luck on Sunday, hope it is a good game.:thumbsu:

Chris Lewis ring a bell tiger?Ask one of our former players a fellow brother what he thought of that animal?

Remove this Banner Ad

A history of biffo between the Dogs and the Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back