A Message to all the fair weather WC 'supporters' who have come out of the woodwork.

Remove this Banner Ad

Today was disappointing and it would be foolish to ignore how we were exposed by a quality side in an important game ...

The reality is that, at times, we have been exposed and there is some things we should learn from that. We lack at least one quality crumbing forward with genuine speed who can run through midfield at times... we clearly lack class in the midfield and there are issues with our current set up at times with pace when the oppostion can get the ball "outside" - we prefer a very congested on ball game that allows us to get the best out of our hard at it inside group but when a team gets it 15 to 20m away from that congestion we lack pace, we also lack enough players who hurt the other team with line breaking games either through speed or great skills (or both) (those players could be mids or half backs) we do still have a lot of fairly average kicks in our team ....

Today this was amplified by a lack of spark and by spotty effort levels. I suspect we were buggared and had more than our fair share of blokes who were carrying knocks...

Just reaming certain blokes is counter-productive but to not learn from what happens in the biggest games is silly and a few suspected weakness' were definitely exposed today ...

Great post

Why is this week different from any other week, players will get criticized as will the coaches. Toughen up folks.

This week was very different from any other. Some games are more important than others. I can relate to people wanting to blow off steam. Who can't? But seriously, wanting Embley to break his leg? Wanting virtually half the squad delisted or traded? Expectations running a bit high, don't you think?

Maybe the 17-5 result lulled people into expecting success in the vein of the '06 squad. But thus squad is nowhere near that good. A better comparison would be to the '02 squad or maybe the '90 squad. We lost a prelim in '90 as well.

This week was very different from any other. Some games are more important than others. I can relate to people wanting to blow off steam. Who can't? But seriously, wanting Embley to break his leg? Wanting virtually half the squad delisted or traded? Expectations running a bit high, don't you think?

Maybe the 17-5 result lulled people into expecting success in the vein of the '06 squad. But thus squad is nowhere near that good. A better comparison would be to the '02 squad or maybe the '90 squad. We lost a prelim in '90 as well.

It'll all settle down very shortly I assume and all the idiots will disappear until we start winning again.

I dont know, I haven't been here very long.

I'm looking forward to the next few months here.

In the hours since the loss to Geelong, we have seen people wishing Embley breaks a leg and never plays again, scathing attacks on Priddis/Eric Mackenzie/Quinten Lynch, a plethora of blokes saying we will finish bottom of the 8 next year and on and on.

:confused:

Being dissapointed at the way we lost is one thing, but some of the bile im seeing spewed by our own supporters is an absolute disgrace.

For christs sake, we won the wooden spoon last year and 12 months later we were one win away from a Grand Final.....doesnt that mean anything to anybody?

This was the year (much like 2002), which marked the real start of our next successful era IMO.

Any Eagles supporter on here bagging out there own club this afternoon/evening should be ashamed of themselves.

Serious question......UMAD? We were always going to get belted, but, our intencity was questionable. We looked like something out of a pancake parlour we were that flat!!

LOL By that extension it is reasonable for me to tell them to get ****ed because their views differ from mine. So as you ask me to tolerate their views, i ask you to tolerate mine. And considering the passion that is in football and supporting a club when someone sledges my team, i see that as an extension of attacking my family or friends and therefore feel a need to express my disgust in them.

Like Family and Friends do i forgive them? Sure do, but that doesn't mean they don't deserve to get their head pulled in when out of line.

A football team isn't family at all. You don't cut dead wood out of families ffs.

Fanatics like you shit me to tears.

All I care about is the club winning more flags. That is why football clubs exist. I don't want to engage in a personal relationship, real or imagined, with individual players like many here seem inclined to do. Once the focus of a club becomes turning individuals into protected species they do not win shit. It's a cuthroat competition, more so in our case as we are pushing shit uphill playing out of the other side of the country. To extract the most out of the TEAM we have to be hard-nosed.

What a joke. Fairweather my a$$!

When certain players and/or our collective team plays bad we are going to let them know about it. When Andrew Embley has 13 kicks, 12 of which were ineffective and scores 17 supercoach points for an entire game.. i think we have the right to be a little annoyed.

Did you want us to say in an old lady voice "Oh well done andrew you tried your best"?
Because he really didn't. Thats the bad part. I can live with him being greedy and having shots on goal which go out on the full, or turning it over... it's the lack of effort that the bloke put in which infuriates me. The man didn't even try! Watch the game again and check out his body language, look at the way he doesn't attack a contest, the way he burns off other team mates, the way he fails to sheppard for them.

His effort was not there and i'm not surprised supporters voice there outrage about it.

In saying that, whatever idiot said they hope he breaks his leg is a complete tool :thumbsdown:

His last game was deplorable, but his overall season was pretty decent.

The eagles in there last game were horrible but the 2011 season was sensational :thumbsu:

So true. Watched the '06 Grand Final yesterday and thought wow how good were we back then. We are no where near that level yet.

What a joke. Fairweather my a$$!

When certain players and/or our collective team plays bad we are going to let them know about it. When Andrew Embley has 13 kicks, 12 of which were ineffective and scores 17 supercoach points for an entire game.. i think we have the right to be a little annoyed.

Did you want us to say in an old lady voice "Oh well done andrew you tried your best"?
Because he really didn't. Thats the bad part. I can live with him being greedy and having shots on goal which go out on the full, or turning it over... it's the lack of effort that the bloke put in which infuriates me. The man didn't even try! Watch the game again and check out his body language, look at the way he doesn't attack a contest, the way he burns off other team mates, the way he fails to sheppard for them.

His effort was not there and i'm not surprised supporters voice there outrage about it.

In saying that, whatever idiot said they hope he breaks his leg is a complete tool :thumbsdown:

His last game was deplorable, but his overall season was pretty decent.

The eagles in there last game were horrible but the 2011 season was sensational :thumbsu:

I don't think anyone is saying Embley shouldn't come in for criticism, he was very far from his best. However, it was only one game. He certainly isn't going to be dropped because of it. Interesting that this bad game did come after he signed a contract. At least with the 1 year term he'll still be in a contract year next year, so maybe he'll play well again then. ;)

I've sat back and read a few replies to the extent that I believe the original intent of this thread has been lost..
I interpret the OP as dissappointment in the reactions of some "supporters", in that it reeks of only the "supporting" the side when they are successful, yet do little to "support" them when they are down and need it most.

Venting is normal and shows passions, but some posts have bordered on abandoning the team and players whom comprise it due to failure. That's what annoys, not only me, but appears other supporters too and could be defined as fairweather (amongst other thin; I'll let you work out what they are).

I think if you've stuck around through the bad times.. I mean _really_ stuck around then you have a right to feel a bit pissed off when fairweather supporters pop up when we are winning and carry on like peanuts when we lose. We win some, we lose some, that's footy.

Love to win, hate to lose, but there's no point in picking negatives exclusively, there's always a reason and discussion works better when reasonable ideas are put forward rather than "Embley should have his contract torn up" and the like..

Let's look forward to 2012.. I personally think we are ahead of where we should be and will see further improvement next year.. very exciting indeed!

crossed a line with my comments and got deservingly destroyed for it, was frustrated and forgot to look at the positives of what came out of the year, should give it a really good crack next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back