A question for the non Bandwagon world game supporters

Remove this Banner Ad

Borgsta said:
Once again, you are an idiot. Viduka has been in the top 3-4 players for us this WC.

I've given up trying to explain to people why dukes hasn't been out of form.

I also wonder why there are people out there who are on un-informed witch hunts against certain players even though we are through to the round of 16 for the first time ever. Guess some people are hard to impress.

Diego said:
Start to follow Melbourne Victory Joffaboy. The standard is not world class but the league needs to turn converts like yourself into full time fans. And it won't get in the way of the AFL season as well.

Well done for giving it a go!

Just might Diego. Watched a bit last season on Fox, but wasn't that interested. Might keep my interest a bit more this season.

Just a couple of issues though.

1) Cant come to grips with football in summer (yet).
2) Ashes series this summer
3) The quality of the A League.

Like Rugby Union, the quality falls away in Australia from internation to Super 14 level to the extent that I dont like Super 14, but will religiously watch the Wallabies playing in Internationals.

Soccer will probably be the same for me. Biggest issue will be for the local League to keep any international stars. The money from the European Leagues is just unmatchable, and our quality will always be dragged away from the local League. This is where soccer will probably struggle long term, but nevertheless it is has come on in leaps and bounds, and has won many converts. i especially like the fact that the "ethnic"affliiations have been taken out of the A League. Nothing wores for Soccers image is to see ethnic rivalry at a soccer match in Australia. This has also helped in this WC. Decendants of Croats and now italians can support the "old" country and still support the Aussies. In the past it would have just been support for the country of origin.

Also there has been no trouble at the games or at Fed Square. Hope this continues tonight, especially if the Aussies win. Last WC some Italians made tonks of themselves up at LygonSt when the Italians were knocked out. Hopefully this wont happen after tonights match.

Still i cant see why Association Football and Australian Rules Football cant co-exist. Soccer is played in the AFL off season and we all cheer on our national teams anyway.

The best thing for me in this WC is the appreciation of the tension and drama when you have a vested interest in the outcome of a game. Truly one of the games great qualities.

Aaron said:
Any money about 2 weeks after the world cup is over all these bandwagone fans will jump right back off and go back to enjoying their Rugby League/AFL/Rugby Union club teams.

No 2 worries about that Sonny Jim !
Hey Aaron, i thought you jumped off the Liverpool bandwagon a few years back when they were going through a rough patch. :confused: :confused:

Joffaboy said:
Just might Diego. Watched a bit last season on Fox, but wasn't that interested. Might keep my interest a bit more this season.

Like Rugby Union, the quality falls away in Australia from internation to Super 14 level to the extent that I dont like Super 14, but will religiously watch the Wallabies playing in Internationals.

Soccer will probably be the same for me. Biggest issue will be for the local League to keep any international stars. The money from the European Leagues is just unmatchable, and our quality will always be dragged away from the local League. This is where soccer will probably struggle long term, but nevertheless it is has come on in leaps and bounds, and has won many converts. i especially like the fact that the "ethnic"affliiations have been taken out of the A League. Nothing wores for Soccers image is to see ethnic rivalry at a soccer match in Australia. This has also helped in this WC. Decendants of Croats and now italians can support the "old" country and still support the Aussies. In the past it would have just been support for the country of origin.

Also there has been no trouble at the games or at Fed Square. Hope this continues tonight, especially if the Aussies win. Last WC some Italians made tonks of themselves up at LygonSt when the Italians were knocked out. Hopefully this wont happen after tonights match.

Still i cant see why Association Football and Australian Rules Football cant co-exist. Soccer is played in the AFL off season and we all cheer on our national teams anyway.

The best thing for me in this WC is the appreciation of the tension and drama when you have a vested interest in the outcome of a game. Truly one of the games great qualities.

I think you will find that even though the standard of the Aleague will never be able to match the bigger leagues in Europe it certainly has improved greatly from the NSL days. For the standard to improve it needs people like yourself to jump on and pump some money into it. I watched all the Melbourne Victory games plus others i could last year and enjoyed it even though we were average at best. I am a AFL man through and through and that i my number 1 sport, but i cant see the harm of also likeing soccer. This whole talk of AFL v Soccer is a load of crap imo. Soccer can never compete against AFL in this country but why cant i like both?

Aaron said:
Not when you have Viduka as your lone Striker. He is a bloody rabble to say the least. 6 goals in 37 internationals. that is 1 of the worst strike rates of any striker anywhere in the world. After the world cup I'd either demand he retires or I'd personally drop him for the remainder of his footballing career.

A striker is emant to score scores not only just assist his team mates up the field. :mad:

A rabble? He has been very good this world cup, unlucky to score and he holds the ball up so well. Yeah strikers usually have to score but if he doesnt score and instead helps his team mates out im happy.

You are a disgrace.

Joffaboy said:

I've been a follower of the game for about 30 years. Not a hard core fan - but a follower of the game, Australian players and our national teams. I'm also one of the Aussie Rules fans who has no issue supporting a few different codes.

Only difference is, I've never followed a soccer club here or overseas. The NSL ethinc ghetto set up was always a massive turn off. However, being a parochial Victorian, I now claim Victory as being my team. In the EPL - it's always been a matter of following the Aussies and keeping an eye on their teams (such as Leeds a few years ago, Boro, Everton, Liverpool etc). The only team I have a soft spot for in the EPL is West Ham (too bad they can't recruit some Aussies).

Joffaboy - you make some valid points on issues re: supporting the game locally.

Summer for me is cricket, tennis & golf. But I understand the reasons of why the game is played here in the warmer months.

I've been on the Melbourne Storm bandwagon from the very beginning (and no longer consider myself a bandwagoner) and am getting as much joy from their results this year as I do from my Shinboners. Perhaps more this year, as Nth Melbourne haven't won too many games in 06. But I'm a member of the AFL club, not the NRL one - and will buy a ticket on the gate a few times per year, and go to Sydney to watch finals.

Would be nice to think that the A-League will build on the good start they have, grow the comp, attract more big name players back from Europe over the next few years and that I enjoy the ride with them as I have done over the past decade with the Storm.

I'm still very suspicious of those running the game in this country, but so far - so good, and as long as they don't self destruct and get too far ahead of themselves I'm hopeful of having 3 viable clubs and codes to support here in Melbourne.

But I reckon we'll need to wait a couple of years, when the new rectangular stadium is built and the Greek supporters are brought into the fold before we see the game really kick off here in Melbourne.

Have the "bandwagoners" been spoiled by the Football we've been playing?

God yes, I've been watching Australia since 1989 and some of the dross I've seen us play over the years has been staggering. At the moment we have the best crop of players we've ever produced guided by one of the top managers in International Football. He produces the tactics and this side is good enough to execute them. The main thing for me about Australia's World Cup is the quality of Football we have played - for a die hard like me it has been utter joy to see us play Football like that on the biggest stage of all.

Oh, and I back all the comments on Vinnie Grella - the man is brilliant.

Ray Nolan said:

God yes, I've been watching Australia since 1989 and some of the dross I've seen us play over the years has been staggering. At the moment we have the best crop of players we've ever produced guided by one of the top managers in International Football. He produces the tactics and this side is good enough to execute them. The main thing for me about Australia's World Cup is the quality of Football we have played - for a die hard like me it has been utter joy to see us play Football like that on the biggest stage of all.

I don't think we're giving the players their due credit and the Guus worshipping has gone a bit over the top IMHO.

Sure - he's a great manager of people and his them well prepared - but I'm yet to see where his tactics in Germany have won us a game. In fact, his major tactical move (dropping Schwarzer vs Croatia) should have seen us knocked out.

Fingers crossed, he can pull a few rabbits out of the hat, and weave the magic which he is renowned for.

Ray Nolan said:

i dont think they are...

i say the more on board the better and if half decided to say on for life then it will be worth it

Lidge said:
I don't think we're giving the players their due credit and the Guus worshipping has gone a bit over the top IMHO.

Sure - he's a great manager of people and his them well prepared - but I'm yet to see where his tactics in Germany have won us a game. In fact, his major tactical move (dropping Schwarzer vs Croatia) should have seen us knocked out.

Fingers crossed, he can pull a few rabbits out of the hat, and weave the magic which he is renowned for.

From what i have heard from the "experts" (ie anyone with more knowledge than me about football = just about everyone) Lidge, is that prior to Guus taking over we were ordinary and struggling under Frank Farina. Lost all three games in the Confederations Cup in Germany and everyone was of the belief that the WC finals were a long way off for the Aussies.

Since Guus has been at the helm from what i have seen (and remember i am certainly not saying i am knowledgable of the game) the team looks alot more co-hesive and structured.

I also would have thought his substitutions against Japan being Cahill, Aloisi and Kennedy turned the game for the Aussies, Kennedy troubling the Jap defence in the air and the other two scoring the goals.

Bresciano also was dangerous when brought on against Croatia and supplied the cross for the equaliser.

Still I am not going to argue, as I have not seen enough of the Socceroos to make an assessment, I am just going off the talking heads on the Tele.

It will be interesting to see what sort of impact the Asia Cup has next year, both in terms of travelling support and media coverage.

To be honest there is a lot to like about a competition that could take you through Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia and I could see that comp getting a fair following as well (obviously not on a par with the World Cup).

Aaron said:
Not when you have Viduka as your lone Striker. He is a bloody rabble to say the least. 6 goals in 37 internationals. that is 1 of the worst strike rates of any striker anywhere in the world. After the world cup I'd either demand he retires or I'd personally drop him for the remainder of his footballing career.

A striker is emant to score scores not only just assist his team mates up the field. :mad:

Dear oh dear.

If he was a greedy bastard for the duration of the tournament and bagged a couple in the group phase would you be happy with his contribution then?

Only problem is, in all likelihood we'd be out of it and wouldn't have a blue ribbon clash with Italy to look forward to tonight.

Bresh put it best (WC thread on the Port board) when he said Viduka is playing the role of CHF for this team - and he is doing it f-ing well. He doesn't have to score to have a vital impact - in all our games (bar the Brazil clash when he was reffed out of it) he has brought our midfielders into the game, either directly or as a decoy.

You keep harping on his goalscoring ratio but it's football, not cricket - you play for the team not for stats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aaron said:

He plays his role perfect for the structure of the Australian forward line. Just holding it up and giving small perfect balls for our midfield to attack. He is so big that he demands 2 defenders to come across to cover him.

If all you want to see is goals from him and if that what you think makes a good striker then maybe your one of those bandwagon supporters you critisice so much.

Lidge said:

I agree about Schwarzer, but I believe that without Hiddink we wouldn't have been in Germany in the first place.

I also believe we did get our results thanks to him. Don't overestimate our players, remember them exactly 1 year ago? We've been getting past 2 countries, Uruguay and Croatia, who I still think are stronger than us, thanks to Hiddink :thumbsu:

Aaron said:

I find it amusing that you despise bandwagon supporters yet are showing the football knowledge of someone exposed to the game for 5 minutes

Aaron said:

You my Sir are an idiot...

Liverpool supporters *shakes head*

Apologies to all Koppies bar Aaron :D

Kompany said:
I agree about Schwarzer, but I believe that without Hiddink we wouldn't have been in Germany in the first place.

I also believe we did get our results thanks to him. Don't overestimate our players, remember them exactly 1 year ago? We've been getting past 2 countries, Uruguay and Croatia, who I still think are stronger than us, thanks to Hiddink :thumbsu:

I wasn't bagging Hiddink. His people management skills are outstanding, and generally speaking, he was the squad in great shape and playing out of their skins.

My point was in relation to tactics, which he's renowned for having no peer. Just being honest, I can't say this has been his strength to date as far as influencing the outcome of games (but looks like we'll need these tricks tonight), with most of the good moves being obvious ones, and the out there moves - backfiring (i.e. positions & a couple of selections).

Fingers crossed everyone of his moves tonight are winners!

Remove this Banner Ad

A question for the non Bandwagon world game supporters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back