Autopsy A win for the true believers - swans down pies

Remove this Banner Ad

It wouldn't be post-game without me writing a blabbering novel about what I'd do in Horse's shoes.

Out: Grundy Adams Mills/Fox
In: Ladhams Sheldrick Melican/Hamling
Sub: Florent

FB: Cunningham TMac Roberts
HB: Mills/Fox Melican Campbell
C: Gulden Heeney Blakey (vs Cox)
HF: Warner Logan Sheldrick
FF: Hayward Amartey Parker
R: Ladhams Rowy Jordon
Int: McLean Rampe Lloyd Cleary

Campbell stuck some big tackles in the 2nd half as the Pies were heading into F50, great spoil on Elliott at one point (got completely outdone by Hill one-on-one, certainly isn't the first). Wouldn't give him a lockdown defensive role, this is to take the Florent/Blakey role with the latter moving up to the wing. Although would overlap/switch at times.

Florent had some good moments late, but just looked bereft of any touch/composure for much of the game. Hopefully we don't have to use the sub early and he gets a mini freshen up. At least it means others are trained/ready to do his role from the start, and he could even go forward when he comes on.

I'd still send Mills to the VFL, looked in slightly better form, but just no endurance. If Fox doesn't look right after being subbed, then he stays, but simply has to play in defence.

Grundy could do with a break, this is really the last chance. You don't really want to be resting players against the Crows, with a bye the following week, and then hopefully, another bye 2 weeks later. Ladhams put in another BOG yesterday in the VFL (24d, 3.1, 4clr), I think he can put in a shift as the main ruck. I was thinking of bringing Hamling (3.0, 9m) in for McLean (managed) for some extra mobility, but not if we manage Grundy.

Almost dropped Blakey again, but think Florent was just as poor for most of last night and without JMac we do still need some attacking wing/HB options. I've pushed him up to go up against Cox's height.

Sheldrick in (36d, 7 clr, 8 score involvements), plays off half forward. Give him some CBs later in quarters (or heck, at the start to set the tone). Had some sketchy disposal, but also pulled off a few sweet kicks and moves.

I'd be giving Parker and Cleary bursts in the mids (otherwise forward, Parker deep), with Heeney to rest forward when Parker is in the mids.

If Melican doesn't get up, Hamling. At least then if Horse persists with Logan down back, we've got a more mobile key forward option.
Please don't be offended... but I'm so glad you're not Horse...

Mills and Florent need to keep playing... Mills because a) playing in the 2s is not hard enough, quick enough, or tough enough; and b) because we need his leadership out there on the field for the last 2 games. Ollie because both he and Blakey have come off the boil because the whole back six is disrupted... they need to stay out there and be part of the correction to gain the belief and confidence that they can.

In my view, half the reason we've been down is because 6 of our top 12 have been out or on the comeback (Parker, Mills, McInerney, Papley, Rampe & Melican). That makes a huge difference to your cohesion and synchronicity... and then set plays don't come off, confidence is lost... and you end up with last week!

Top 2 is on the line... play the best available!

GUk5-pYWQAAel7t
Sadly we were too crook to make it. 😭😭😭

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a game that was pretty painful to watch, it ended with some huge positives for us.

Heeney and Chad end the game full of confidence.
Errol well beaten but still influential in the win.
Campbell’s hardness at the contest was the best I can remember it.
Logan gets experience down back and the monkey off his back with that beautiful goal.
Parker flourishes as a forward/burst mid.
Mills improved.
Blakey diabolically out of form but working through it.
We win a close match.
Melican’s return will hopefully settle the backline.

100% agree on all of that. Particularly with Mills - clearly not fit enough for mids and we have looked so vulnerable in defence the last 3 weeks. This will enable us to unleash Blakey even more and play Florent up the ground. Mills to defence could turn our defence into a premiership quality defence.
Is Florent up the ground an improvement on Gulden, Lloyd and Campbell? Definitely agree with Mills at HB, but Florent not so sure.

I’m actually surprised there’s not a bit more JJ love on the POTY thread.

I thought he did a good job on the Daicos boys. Didn’t nullify them completely, but certainly dulled their impact.

Credit to Horse also for reverting back to the hard run-with role. I thought JJ was far less effective on the wing …. much more impact with the quasi-tag.
Sadly it's only top 5, not top 10. Naicos getting found out a bit now but Josh continues to be a bloody nuisance.

How about you go and get ****ed judgemental prick.

Admittedly I didn't need to mention it at all, but unless I broke a bigfooty rule saying it who cares.

She and I shared a bond over footy, over dark humour and she was wanting to die for ages, she even said I'll try to cark it near the grand final so you get a few days off and our last chat sunday she said well I won't worry about that now. I don't even really think I put a second of thought into how I worded it.

Sorry to derail the thread but wow ****en judgemental arseh*le.
My MIL age 97 asks me after every game how things went. Wears her Swans cap as a sun visor. When she goes I'll miss that. Cheers.

Please don't be offended... but I'm so glad you're not Horse...

Mills and Florent need to keep playing... Mills because a) playing in the 2s is not hard enough, quick enough, or tough enough; and b) because we need his leadership out there on the field for the last 2 games. Ollie because both he and Blakey have come off the boil because the whole back six is disrupted... they need to stay out there and be part of the correction to gain the belief and confidence that they can.

In my view, half the reason we've been down is because 6 of our top 12 have been out or on the comeback (Parker, Mills, McInerney, Papley, Rampe & Melican). That makes a huge difference to your cohesion and synchronicity... and then set plays don't come off, confidence is lost... and you end up with last week!

Top 2 is on the line... play the best available!
Mills isn't best available, nor near our top 12 at the moment, nor did he play until we were 13-3 (not sure how that has negatively impacted our ladder position or form, compared to now). And you mean the leadership that we had for the Dogs and Port? In any case, he'll play, but not because any of those reasons are valid.

Ollie still gets to play. Just as sub.

Cooney did a great little breakdown of how Heeney sucked in Sidebottom and Quaynor by going goalside which left Errol with just enough room.

Perfectly executed by the 3 of them.
Plus the block by JJ

Mills isn't best available, nor near our top 12 at the moment, nor did he play until we were 13-3 (not sure how that has negatively impacted our ladder position or form, compared to now). And you mean the leadership that we had for the Dogs and Port? In any case, he'll play, but not because any of those reasons are valid.

Ollie still gets to play. Just as sub.
Mills is in our top 12 and best available, just playing his way back into fitness and form... We need him back in full flight for the finals, and the best way to get him there is through playing him (and not in the VFL). And he was on the bench throughout the 13-3, so perhaps not leading by example, but definitely in there and leading.

I prefer Fox as our sub, his sheer versatility does it for me...

Mills is in our top 12 and best available, just playing his way back into fitness and form... We need him back in full flight for the finals, and the best way to get him there is through playing him (and not in the VFL). And he was on the bench throughout the 13-3, so perhaps not leading by example, but definitely in there and leading.

I prefer Fox as our sub, his sheer versatility does it for me...
If you're not in our top 12 and best available currently, well you're just not.

Except that Fox, love him, is a bad sub. As someone who keenly watches him, especially when he's (usually) unjustly relegated to sub, he doesn't make a good sub. He plays best when he's locked into a position from the start.

I see they told the work experience kid in the Swans' media team to find two great marks Heeney took in the final quarter for the "Mark of the Week" clip. He found the first one fine, but I'm not sure the second of those really belongs. Sure it was important as the final mark of the game but only because he found himself in space. Anyone else on the ground would have taken that mark.

I'd love to have a clip that puts together the first mark included with the mark he took for his goal. That was a mark few would have taken.

I have somewhere in my mind that he took another great contested mark on the defensive O'Reilly wing too, but I'm not 100% sure that was in the final quarter. Things are a bit fuzzy from last night.

It wouldn't be post-game without me writing a blabbering novel about what I'd do in Horse's shoes.

Out: Grundy Adams Mills/Fox
In: Ladhams Sheldrick Melican/Hamling

FB: Cunningham TMac Roberts
HB: Mills/Fox Melican Campbell
C: Gulden Heeney Blakey (vs Cox)
HF: Warner Logan Sheldrick
R: Ladhams Rowy Jordon
Int: McLean Rampe Lloyd Cleary

Campbell stuck some big tackles in the 2nd half as the Pies were heading into F50, great spoil on Elliott at one point (got completely outdone by Hill one-on-one, certainly isn't the first). Wouldn't give him a lockdown defensive role, this is to take the Florent/Blakey role with the latter moving up to the wing. Although would overlap/switch at times.

Florent had some good moments late, but just looked bereft of any touch/composure for much of the game. Hopefully we don't have to use the sub early and he gets a mini freshen up. At least it means others are trained/ready to do his role from the start, and he could even go forward when he comes on.

I'd still send Mills to the VFL, looked in slightly better form, but just no endurance. If Fox doesn't look right after being subbed, then he stays, but simply has to play in defence.

Grundy could do with a break, this is really the last chance. You don't really want to be resting players against the Crows, with a bye the following week, and then hopefully, another bye 2 weeks later. Ladhams put in another BOG yesterday in the VFL (24d, 3.1, 4clr), I think he can put in a shift as the main ruck. I was thinking of bringing Hamling (3.0, 9m) in for McLean (managed) for some extra mobility, but not if we manage Grundy.

Almost dropped Blakey again, but think Florent was just as poor for most of last night and without JMac we do still need some attacking wing/HB options. I've pushed him up to go up against Cox's height.

Sheldrick in (36d, 7 clr, 8 score involvements), plays off half forward. Give him some CBs later in quarters (or heck, at the start to set the tone). Had some sketchy disposal, but also pulled off a few sweet kicks and moves.

I'd be giving Parker and Cleary bursts in the mids (otherwise forward, Parker deep), with Heeney to rest forward when Parker is in the mids.

If Melican doesn't get up, Hamling. At least then if Horse persists with Logan down back, we've got a more mobile key forward option.
One thing I love about Big Footy is the variety of viewpoints and often the depth of thinking. I like that you have thought from a slightly different point of view in that particular players need a rest or a change in role. Gets you thinking.
My point of view is a bit different. I think we will be doing everything possible to go into the first week of finals in the best possible form with players in their "right" position (according to Horse).
Grundy is a competitive beast and won't be rested unless injured.
I really hope Mills will be moved into defence full time but fear he won't. If he is we could have a back seven of:
Cunningham McCartin Rampe
Mills Melican 🤞 Blakey Roberts
I would also like to see Florent as sub but believe Horse will choose Florent over Fox.
C: Gulden Warner Lloyd was our best balanced centreline with McInerney out. I'm assuming we won't see Juzzy again this season. 😭
R: Grundy Heeney Rowbottom was our best attacking midfield setup. We can run others through there as needed, particularly giving Warner and Heeney time forward.
I would lose the negative HF unless it's JJ and go attacking. Papley of course once he's back but who until then?
HF: Jordon McDonald Adams
Interchange: Roberts Fox McLean Campbell
McLean doesn't need a rest. I struggle to see that Adams justifies his spot.
I don't think Horse will pick this exact team but I think he will approach it this way.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy A win for the true believers - swans down pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back