Preview AAMI Community Series - Pies v Tigers Fri March 5th 7:25pm (Teams Page 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmmmm, not so much.
Regardless of the stance you have, he’s right that this is an open forum, not a two way discussion. If jonbe wants that then he needs to take it to PM, otherwise anyone else is perfectly entitled to give their 2c worth.

What's everyone wearing to the game tonight.. have you all seen a consultant to sort out your autumn fashion color palette yet.. or we all just gonna wing it?
I'll be watching in my 40inch waisted navy blue work pants and a high vis shirt... it's what the ladies want these days gimp, gotta keep up with the times.

Picked a crap side you have to play some kids in the preseason let them have exposure at a higher level.
With only 1 preseason game it makes that a little hard. Under normal circumstances the first two games are used to blood some kids, and the final hit out is a round 1 rehearsal. Unfortunately with only 1 preseason game it’s round 1 rehearsal and that’s it this year.

Bucks is Coaching for his Career so he less likely play the Kids
That has nothing to do with it Dave. It’s always a strong squad picked for the last preseason game. This year is no different from any other in that respect.

It tells me that the coaches are very concerned about making a strong start to the season and want to get the line-up settled as quickly as possible.

There may only be one debutant but there are several players moving into new roles, or from the fringes to something more prominent - DeGoey, T Brown, Sier, Daicos and Noble all fit into that category to varying degrees. So the coaches seem to be focusing on to getting that all settled and the chemistry right, ahead of blooding more youngsters.

And let’s not forget, Buckley is out of contract!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think people are getting overly excited about the "play the kids" notion. The squad includes:

Henry - 0 games
T Brown - 9 games
C Brown - 49 games
Daicos - 35 games
Cameron - 11 games
Kelly - 1 Game
Madgen - 21 games
Ruscoe - 4 games
Bianco - 0 games
Sier - 21 games
Quaynor - 15 games
Noble - 22 Games

That's 12 players (nearly 1/2 the squad) with U50 games experience, 5 with U10 games.

By comparison, Tigas have Balta (30), Baker (42), Bolton (47), Aarts (14), CCJ (1), DES (6), Chol (21), RCD (0), Pickett (20). That's 9 players with U50, 3 with U10.

We are playing the kids and the inexperienced.

Disappointed Murphy wasn't given another crack and if there was a player I thought might have been given a crack to show his worth it's Briskey.

Last edited:
Regardless of the stance you have, he’s right that this is an open forum, not a two way discussion. If jonbe wants that then he needs to take it to PM, otherwise anyone else is perfectly entitled to give their 2c worth.

I was commenting on this element.

"...and imo most pie fans would agree with Wagee ."

Very happy for people to express their opinions.

I don't care who wins as long as we don't sustain an injury

Yeah, there was a bit of carnage last night. Don't want to see that.

INJURIES
Carlton:
McKay (ankle), Newnes (ankle), Weitering (hip)
St Kilda: Frawley (hamstring)

Just on the giving the kids a chance discussion. The plan last week was to play 6 quarters last week so that the entire squad could get gametime. But for whatever reason Geelong didn't agree to those rules. Presumably because they're on a different program to us.

Wdym we aren't playing the kids, we've got Will Kelly, Ollie Henry, Tyler Brown, Trent Roscoe and Trent Bianco playing?

With only two practice matches, these games need to be used to prepare for round one with senior players taking most of the slots.

The kids can play the VFL practice matches and prepare for the VFL round one.

Over time they will progressively replace the likes of Mayne Greenwood and Thomas but these guys are ahead of some pimply 18 year olds at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I miss the pre-season games of old when we had three or four (?) matches against other teams and could trial some kids. Every now and then one would surprise and maybe crack into the side ahead of expectations.

This lack of exposure for the kids is compounded by 2020’s compromised season when we couldn’t see them play at VFL level. It’s why many of us are so looking forward to the VFL this year. There are 8 or 9 guys we still know little about, and more who may have come a long way since 2019.

I miss the pre-season games of old when we had three or four (?) matches against other teams and could trial some kids. Every now and then one would surprise and maybe crack into the side ahead of expectations.

This lack of exposure for the kids is compounded by 2020’s compromised season when we couldn’t see them play at VFL level. It’s why many of us are so looking forward to the VFL this year. There are 8 or 9 guys we still know little about, and more who may have come a long way since 2019.
Potentially really exciting year of VFL after a year of disruption for so many. Fingers crossed for lots of continuity and development.

Happy to see Greenwood in the side this season, the midfield is shallow and we need his experience.
He hasn’t had much luck with injury but his preparation is awesome, he could have a good year.
Your right , our midfield is shallow if Greenwood is in their. his only role would be as a tagger on specific players

Your right , our midfield is shallow if Greenwood is in their. his only role would be as a tagger on specific players

Might like to renew Cotchin's acquaintance.

Id tag Dusty. That’s just on me.

2018 Prelim & 2019 round 2 Greenwood kept him close. We won.

Dusty's a lot harder to tag, whereas Greenwood has enjoyed keeping Cotchin company in the past and he's a player that can be nullified. I don't think we'll see him in the midfield, but if he was, Cotchin's the man for me.

I'd like to see Tyler Brown given the Dusty matchup. Great learning experience for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview AAMI Community Series - Pies v Tigers Fri March 5th 7:25pm (Teams Page 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back