AAMI Stadium $5.5mill Lights Upgrade

Remove this Banner Ad

$850 plus mil Same source
All stadiums lose money
cheers for the info

Surely building a stadium close to the city would be financially viable. Sure there will be a early hit but with the extra people in the city, staying in the city, spending money in the city it could work.

For mine its a short term loss for long term gain. The best thing about Melbourne during the season is the atmosphere in the city, people going about their business in the morning and then on mass all heading for the G or Dome.

cheers for the info

Surely building a stadium close to the city would be financially viable. Sure there will be a early hit but with the extra people in the city, staying in the city, spending money in the city it could work.

For mine its a short term loss for long term gain. The best thing about Melbourne during the season is the atmosphere in the city, people going about their business in the morning and then on mass all heading for the G or Dome.

Rough figures
Get the new land fre and you need 650M
Assume break even on operating which is optomistic
650@ % is 52m per year or $1000 extra per seat over current costs
How many would sign up at $1500 per seat

but thats only taking into account the stadium itself.

What about all the extra revenue that will be brought into the city? When stuff like the police and fire games are on they are always carrying on about the cash injected into the city, what changes now?

Personally I would go to alot more games if they were in the city and most times I would make a day/night of it, as I think most people would.

but thats only taking into account the stadium itself.

What about all the extra revenue that will be brought into the city? When stuff like the police and fire games are on they are always carrying on about the cash injected into the city, what changes now?

Personally I would go to alot more games if they were in the city and most times I would make a day/night of it, as I think most people would.

How is this going to pay the interest bill?

To give you an indication on how much an event can boost spending in the city...

When the Ashes were on, our familys shop's sales rose by nearly 30%. Thats huge.

ACC & the business council should start pushing for a new stadium, because they will be the ones reaping the rewards.]

BTW with the stadium, the federal government at a guess would contribute about 100 million for a new stadium. They gave 70 million odd to the SCG.

To give you an indication on how much an event can boost spending in the city...

When the Ashes were on, our familys shop's sales rose by nearly 30%. Thats huge.

ACC & the business council should start pushing for a new stadium, because they will be the ones reaping the rewards.]

BTW with the stadium, the federal government at a guess would contribute about 100 million for a new stadium. They gave 70 million odd to the SCG.

So how much of the 52mil will they contribute each year Ok Ill put your family down for a million a year Well have the finance in no time at this rate:D

Adelaide as a city is too conservative for anything like this to ever happen.

I was stunned when I came back after six years to see that the LeCornu's site still didn't have anything on it - people in Adelaide just don't like change. Imagine if someone tried to get something like Federation Square happening in SA!

The main beneficiaries of a new stadium would be supporters and the downtown businesses of Adelaide. At the moment, tens of thousands of people travel to a sporting game, watch it, and leave. Actually putting the stadium somewhere vibrant would mean that people would stick around, and it would help revitalise the city.

There are a lot of ways to pay for a new stadium - sale of the old one, state and federal contributions, new income streams, etc.

There are a lot of ways to pay for a new stadium - sale of the old one, state and federal contributions, new income streams, etc.

and that's the rub.

- sale of the old one requires planning and development approvals.
- state & federal contributions require plenty of political support
- new income streams... well there'd be some, but adelaide is not going to have a heap of super-boxes to pay for it all.

there's a lot of government support needed, and it's hard to see how something so superfluous is going to be a critical public need.

it's just not a real need - it's wanting to keep up with the jones's. the neighbours have something new, and now we need something too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you understand that there is actual tourism associated with an ashes tour - very different to Freo playing Adelaide in round 3. unless the barmy army have it in their calendar already :D

and that's the rub.

- sale of the old one requires planning and development approvals.
- state & federal contributions require plenty of political support
- new income streams... well there'd be some, but adelaide is not going to have a heap of super-boxes to pay for it all.

there's a lot of government support needed, and it's hard to see how something so superfluous is going to be a critical public need.

it's just not a real need - it's wanting to keep up with the jones's. the neighbours have something new, and now we need something too

This seems a pretty naive view of political priorities. You don't just fund critical needs, like hospitals and education, you also fund things that add to the quality of life in a community, such as arts funding and sports funding.

Clearly, moving the Crows to downtown in Adelaide would be of enormous quality of life impact to the tax payers - suddenly it is not just jump in the car, see a game and come home. It puts ten thousand people in the heart of the city for the whole day, where they'll eat, see a game, shop, drink, etc. They stay longer and they spend more. And if you can capture more of that money, you've increased income.

This is especially true in small economies. While stadiums may not have enormous impact in big, diverse cities (as has been seen over and over again) they do contribute enormously in smaller ones, such as the Packers in Green Bay. The impact of the Crows is pretty damn significant, and would benefit downtown Adelaide if the stadium was there.

Of course - it's not going to happen. It is too dramatic a change, and there would be too many blue hairs from Unley calling Leon Byner to complain.

you understand that there is actual tourism associated with an ashes tour - very different to Freo playing Adelaide in round 3. unless the barmy army have it in their calendar already :D

Yeah, but what is the tourism? Maybe 500 people? They couldn't have been buying that many Balfours Frog Cakes themselves to make a 30% increase.

Adelaide as a city is too conservative for anything like this to ever happen.

I was stunned when I came back after six years to see that the LeCornu's site still didn't have anything on it - people in Adelaide just don't like change. Imagine if someone tried to get something like Federation Square happening in SA!

The main beneficiaries of a new stadium would be supporters and the downtown businesses of Adelaide. At the moment, tens of thousands of people travel to a sporting game, watch it, and leave. Actually putting the stadium somewhere vibrant would mean that people would stick around, and it would help revitalise the city.

Why would you be stunned to see nothing has changed in just 6 years? Ive been here for nealy 40 and next to nothing has changed in all that time. We put up a couple of tents just inside the Victor Richardson gates at the Adelaide Oval and called them a new grandstand. We extended a tram line FFS:confused::eek:. We would have to be the least progressive population in the modern freekin world, never mind Australia. Next we're going to ban the TV and the telephone, and bring back the horse a fookin cart.

I've gotta get out of here, before I die of boredom!!!

Lets get this straight. I realise we won't be getting a stadium for a while (10 plus years). HOWEVER we must start planning for a new stadium. Land, design and where the money is going to come from.

You have to remember SA is the only mainland state to have not hosted the Commonwealth Games....

A new stadium will be the centre peice of the renaissance of SA on the world stage, I personally can't wait.

Lets get this straight. I realise we won't be getting a stadium for a while (10 plus years). HOWEVER we must start planning for a new stadium. Land, design and where the money is going to come from.

that's fine to say, but before you start saying "we must" you have to demonstrate why "we must..."

You have to remember SA is the only mainland state to have not hosted the Commonwealth Games....

yes and? who would want to?

A new stadium will be the centre peice of the renaissance of SA on the world stage, I personally can't wait.

no, it would have **** all impact. and you're going to be waiting a loooong time ;)

This seems a pretty naive view of political priorities. You don't just fund critical needs, like hospitals and education, you also fund things that add to the quality of life in a community, such as arts funding and sports funding.

that's fine. if you think the political priorities are as you say, then comeback run as an independent, and enjoy your new career as an MP.

I will however be shorting your chances at the bookies :)

Clearly, moving the Crows to downtown in Adelaide would be of enormous quality of life impact to the tax payers - suddenly it is not just jump in the car, see a game and come home. It puts ten thousand people in the heart of the city for the whole day, where they'll eat, see a game, shop, drink, etc. They stay longer and they spend more. And if you can capture more of that money, you've increased income.

quality of life issues, ignore the funding issues - which is always the downside of your political bent. People can't spend more than can afford, the tightening of monetary policy is designed to stop people spending more than they can afford, and save. the spending that tourists bring, is 180 degrees different in economic terms to the spending of locals. unless locals can start printing their own money, this idea doesn't hold.

lets build a new stadium so people can overspend, overheat the economy, increase inflation, and generally set about inducing an economic recession. the handout economics of the arts are not the same ones that govern the wider community.

This is especially true in small economies. While stadiums may not have enormous impact in big, diverse cities (as has been seen over and over again) they do contribute enormously in smaller ones, such as the Packers in Green Bay. The impact of the Crows is pretty damn significant, and would benefit downtown Adelaide if the stadium was there.

no, you would have the incremental difference over what is already there. it is wrong, and simplistic to compare the influence of no team vs team (as in the green bay example) as opposed to team in stadium x and team in stadium y. you would have to also demonstrate that there is a wealth of untapped support, that could be unlocked through a new stadium.

Of course - it's not going to happen. It is too dramatic a change, and there would be too many blue hairs from Unley calling Leon Byner to complain.

no it's not going to happen because the incremental economics don't stack up. if the public really want it, and it can be done, and the benefits are all there - well why doesn't people power mobilise itself at the next state elections. we've already shown that we can elect a one-issue politician at the state level, with the crows support you'd be a shoe in. except for all the people who don't like footy, the people who would have to pay the taxes, the people who would have to lose out on public services, and the people who realised even the club doesn't support it. aside from all those people, the support would be overwhelming.

that's fine. if you think the political priorities are as you say, then comeback run as an independent, and enjoy your new career as an MP.

You know I would be an AWESOME politician, don't make out otherwise.

quality of life issues, ignore the funding issues - which is always the downside of your political bent.

Hey, I'm very fiscally conservative, but yes, I am left of your neo-conservative wonk views. :)

lets build a new stadium so people can overspend, overheat the economy, increase inflation, and generally set about inducing an economic recession. the handout economics of the arts are not the same ones that govern the wider community.

With all due respect to folks living in Adelaide, the SA economy over-heating seems like wishful thinking. That's a long way from the under-energised economy of the moment.

And you're right - people do have a finite amount of money. And they will spend it where it feels most exciting. They will currently spend it on tourism outside of SA, on purchasing products where less of the money stays in the local ecosystem.

I don't think it is remotely arguable that moving the Crows stadium to downtown Adelaide wouldn't make going to the football more of an event. You can't argue that it wouldn't energise the downtown area, or it wouldn't increase further visitation down the line by locals coming downtown. And lord knows it WOULD increase the numbers of interstate sporting visitors coming to a game, if that trip just became more enjoyable.

And taking this thought to its most positive outcome - it increases the vitality of the city, raising the viability of Adelaide as a potential location for international businesses to establish Australian operations.

except for all the people who don't like footy, the people who would have to pay the taxes, the people who would have to lose out on public services, and the people who realised even the club doesn't support it. aside from all those people, the support would be overwhelming.

Yes, you're right. The challenge of a democracy is that most people are frightened by any form of change and would rather things stayed as they were thirty years ago.

Which I think takes us back to LeCornu's statement, and the time capsule that Adelaide feels like.

10 years? The plus would even be a pipe dream.

The SANFL isn't going to spend upto $110 million upgrading Footy Park then only to see it go down the tubes in what is a relatively short time bulldoze it and start afresh. Besides we don't fill it now so building another and expecting to fill it is not reality.

There are much more needed infrastructure to be built than a sports stadium, ie schools, hospitals, light rail, roads, etc.

You'll be waiting for a long time. Richmond will even win a GF before we have a new stadium.

Does the State Gov get any of this cash that shifts from West Lakes to the city? Instead of moving the stadium to the city why not move the cafe life to West lakes?

There would still be a higher percentage of see game go home supporters, wherever it was held

10 years? The plus would even be a pipe dream.

The SANFL isn't going to spend upto $110 million upgrading Footy Park then only to see it go down the tubes in what is a relatively short time bulldoze it and start afresh. Besides we don't fill it now so building another and expecting to fill it is not reality.

There are much more needed infrastructure to be built than a sports stadium, ie schools, hospitals, light rail, roads, etc.

You'll be waiting for a long time. Richmond will even win a GF before we have a new stadium.

Well 2018 ot 2022. Commonwealth Games dates which Adelaide will target.
Thats 11 or 15 years that we can plan.

The latter will probably be more likely. You must remember SA is about to hit a Resources Boom. Its hardly even started yet and our coffers are starting to get filled.

There will be plenty of Money to spend.

And if we don't build a new stadium we will never host the Commonwealth Games. End of story

Remove this Banner Ad

AAMI Stadium $5.5mill Lights Upgrade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back