AAMI Stadium $5.5mill Lights Upgrade

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it would be, you can also get rid of hindmarsh and use it for soccer in the summer and also use it for events like Telstra Dome is used in Melbourne

As someone has already stated, Hindmarsh is less than ten years old refit.
That is seen as a waste of money. Bad planning yes, but when did politics and good planning go together? :mad:

It won't happen.

Read what I was responding to.

The statement was "cash that was shifting from West Lakes to the City". I responded to say that it isn't just cash shifting from what is aready being spent in West Lakes, because I don't think many people stick around at West Lakes to spend anything.

Are you suggesting people are currently banking this " new" money

Are you suggesting people are currently banking this " new" money

What he means is people will go to the games and spend money in the city at the same time. A boom. Interstate travellers also. A drink, something to eat, have a browse around.

What do you do at West Lakes. Park your car (Maybe have a BBQ)...go in, Spend $5 for a pie. bit of cash for a few drinks. Walk BACK to your car and leave.

What do you do at West Lakes. Park your car (Maybe have a BBQ)...go in, Spend $5 for a pie. bit of cash for a few drinks. Walk BACK to your car and leave.

SANFL game Sturt v Glenelg in the city

Catch train walk past kiosk and ponder hot dog, figure money is needed for Budget and walks on. Walks in buys Budget and feels hunger buys overpriced pie and coke and chips and thinks chips might be too much fat on the gallstones , walks back to train station goes home

AFL game AFC v Kenmore FC at Keswick Pk

Catch train to game walk past kiosk pondering hot dog , figures needs money for Record and walks on. Walks in buys Record and wishes money was spent on hot dog as overpriced beer and pies taste like yesterdays leftovers

AFL game AFC v Port Adelaide at Football Pk

Drives car to Parker St and parks in vacant land and saves $6, walks to Shed and buys 2 x $2.50 pies and a drink. Buys Record at the same time , walks to ground. Gets coffee at half time

If I wanted to drink I would and I would do it at the ground and if I wanted to carry on my choices would be West lakes Tavern or in the city or closer to home

Having it in the city would only mean taxi operators lose money as those who want to drink and who want to drink in the city are closer in time to having that drink.

Not much more extra money would be spent in the city than at West Lakes ...in my humble opinion

If games were in town more people would go out after.

One good thing about Melbourne is seeing the city full of footy colours, people coming and going to games. I love it.

SANFL game Sturt v Glenelg in the city

Catch train walk past kiosk and ponder hot dog, figure money is needed for Budget and walks on. Walks in buys Budget and feels hunger buys overpriced pie and coke and chips and thinks chips might be too much fat on the gallstones , walks back to train station goes home

AFL game AFC v Kenmore FC at Keswick Pk

Catch train to game walk past kiosk pondering hot dog , figures needs money for Record and walks on. Walks in buys Record and wishes money was spent on hot dog as overpriced beer and pies taste like yesterdays leftovers

AFL game AFC v Port Adelaide at Football Pk

Drives car to Parker St and parks in vacant land and saves $6, walks to Shed and buys 2 x $2.50 pies and a drink. Buys Record at the same time , walks to ground. Gets coffee at half time

If I wanted to drink I would and I would do it at the ground and if I wanted to carry on my choices would be West lakes Tavern or in the city or closer to home

Having it in the city would only mean taxi operators lose money as those who want to drink and who want to drink in the city are closer in time to having that drink.

Not much more extra money would be spent in the city than at West Lakes ...in my humble opinion

You're right, in the sense that you could put the game in red light district in Amsterdam and some people will still walk past, buy a football record and turn around and go straight home afterwards.

But I think it is crazy to argue that, if you put the game in an area that is surrounded by restaurants, shopping, bars, public transport, etc people aren't going to stay longer and enjoy themselves more than putting it in an area surrounded by mangroves (or whatever is down at West Lakes).

Of course, people in Adelaide like things being how they are, and hate change. You could offer to change someone's ten dollar bill into a twenty, and still some people wouldn't do it ...

If games were in town more people would go out after.

One good thing about Melbourne is seeing the city full of footy colours, people coming and going to games. I love it.

Aahh but Melbourne was always a city that bristled at night. Adelaide never did and because of the populations conservatism, I'd very much doubt if it would happen if the impossible did happen.

The other thing people forget is if it were to happen, where it was to be built.

It wont be over the railyards now on North Tce as they wouldn't built a sports stadium right next to a major hospital, to clog up the area.

If it was built down at Mile End or the Keswick rail station (where space is a premium due to the road system) it is still too far from the city for many to walk.

People are still pipe dreaming. But keep going though. :p

Another poll on Adelaide now, 91% say AAMI is ****.

However the old farts and nay sayers all leave comments. So typical.

BTW if your interested in developement, or just purely the stadium there is a great website, www.sensational-adelaide.com. Its full of all design nuts.

A new track for the Clipsal anyone...
SSS_Grecia1.jpg

haha or they don't have the time to write a 2000 word thesis on why the AAMI should be preserved because they would rather the money be spent on ummmm... replanting trees and ..... repainting the traffic lines, brightening the traffic lights and raising the refund for cans and bottles to 10c.

The excuses are tiring. SA has a AAA credit rating... we can get a loan with a dirt cheap interest rate. Pitty they won't ever borrow. Soft c***s

The excuses are tiring. SA has a AAA credit rating... we can get a loan with a dirt cheap interest rate. Pitty they won't ever borrow. Soft c***s

The WA Labor Gov is currently sitting on $1,4B surplus, thats surplus money and still they wont put money towards it. Its only been the intervention of AD that anything has started moving. So dont expect this SA gov to dip into the coffers.

I don't think AAMI is that bad a stadium. In terms of vantage points, it's on par with the MCG and middle tier of Telstra Dome, and certainly better than the back 5-6 rows of the bottom tier of Telstra Dome.

ATM, a lot of people are calling for a new stadium, and I would love to see a state-of-the-art 60 000 seat stadium in the City. However

- Throughout the Brown/Olson/Kerin regimes, everyone harped and harped on about wanting the tram line extended to the Railway Station. Rann comes in, extends the tram line, and everyone that wanted the tram line starts whining on about it being 'too expensive', 'pointless', 'the tram to nowhere' etc. The same could be said about the replacement tram carriages. Today people, and rightly so IMO, are calling for an overhaul of the public transport system - and the first thing that should be done is relieve Torrens Transit of it's bus contracts as they're the major cause of a lot of the bus issues (don't bother complaining to them though as they'll just cover it up and deny there's a problem). Wait until the government starts working on the public transport system - people will start whingeing about it being a waste of money and pointless.

- Everyone goes on about how South Rd needs to be fixed. So the government starts doing this, with the Anzac Hwy underpass. What do we see - moronic business around the area protesting about it. Every time I see those 'Fix it Rann' signs I roll my eyes and either think 'uh, they are you morons' or 'SA -the Whine state'. Yes, those that use that intersection atm are going through some pain, but the long term benefits are going to be fantastic (just look at Portrush Rd).

- The Victoria Park grandstand. People would prefer the government spend MORE money and cause MORE disruptions to that area on temporary and dilapidated facilities than on a permanent facility.

I get the feeling the same would happen if any government announced a new stadium in the CBD. The people that are harping on about the need for a new stadium will start whining about it being too expensive, a waste of taxpayer money, bla bla bla.

I don't think AAMI is that bad a stadium. In terms of vantage points, it's on par with the MCG and middle tier of Telstra Dome, and certainly better than the back 5-6 rows of the bottom tier of Telstra Dome.

ATM, a lot of people are calling for a new stadium, and I would love to see a state-of-the-art 60 000 seat stadium in the City. However

- Throughout the Brown/Olson/Kerin regimes, everyone harped and harped on about wanting the tram line extended to the Railway Station. Rann comes in, extends the tram line, and everyone that wanted the tram line starts whining on about it being 'too expensive', 'pointless', 'the tram to nowhere' etc. The same could be said about the replacement tram carriages. Today people, and rightly so IMO, are calling for an overhaul of the public transport system - and the first thing that should be done is relieve Torrens Transit of it's bus contracts as they're the major cause of a lot of the bus issues (don't bother complaining to them though as they'll just cover it up and deny there's a problem). Wait until the government starts working on the public transport system - people will start whingeing about it being a waste of money and pointless.

- Everyone goes on about how South Rd needs to be fixed. So the government starts doing this, with the Anzac Hwy underpass. What do we see - moronic business around the area protesting about it. Every time I see those 'Fix it Rann' signs I roll my eyes and either think 'uh, they are you morons' or 'SA -the Whine state'. Yes, those that use that intersection atm are going through some pain, but the long term benefits are going to be fantastic (just look at Portrush Rd).

- The Victoria Park grandstand. People would prefer the government spend MORE money and cause MORE disruptions to that area on temporary and dilapidated facilities than on a permanent facility.

I get the feeling the same would happen if any government announced a new stadium in the CBD. The people that are harping on about the need for a new stadium will start whining about it being too expensive, a waste of taxpayer money, bla bla bla.

Yes Yes, and I fear it is only going to get worse as our populations ages. They wonder why the youth of SA is leaving in Hordes. The young generation like progress and change. Something that isn't happening in this state.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As long as it is a transparent tax I would be happy to pay it. The problem is that tax/levies come in then become carved in stone and the monies used elsewhere and noone knows where the actual money goes. Does anyone know where the ESL levy goes ?? It originally came in (supposedly to be only for one year) to pay for the motorolla system (that actually never worked) now what is it used for ???? I hope the money now is actually diverted in the various emergency services but to be honest noone actually knows if this is the case or not.

So yes I would be happy to pay extra taxes if it was going solely into funding the stadium and the government was transparent about the money etc.

OK, that is a fair response.
as long as it's well documented, and a one-off, you'd be up.

do you think you're the only one, or do you think most people would share that view?

indeed. that is what beagle is saying.

as there is no extra money, any spending would be redistributed not an actual increase in economic activity; therefore no 'economic' benefits will accrue as a whole.

Good post. It made for depressing reading, only because it is true. If it were up to some people we would still have dirt roads. It feels at times like the state is being run by the town elders in Footloose (if anyone here remembers that movie).

For the benefit those who are saying that we are a backwater etc where absolutely nothing happens, the Lord Mayor of Adelaide said on 5AA this week that they have had development applications for in excess of a billion dollars in the City of Adelaide this year.

All they have to do now is back down and give an approval for the Vic Park development and it will have been a sensational year for development in the City of Adelaide.

For the benefit those who are saying that we are a backwater etc where absolutely nothing happens, the Lord Mayor of Adelaide said on 5AA this week that they have had development applications for in excess of a billion dollars in the City of Adelaide this year.

All they have to do now is back down and give an approval for the Vic Park development and it will have been a sensational year for development in the City of Adelaide.

certainly sounds encouraging, any idea how that compares with other recent years?

I disagree vehemently on that one. Yeah we all love Adelaide, but having 115m height limitation in the CBD is a head scratcher for me. For comparison sydney has a height limitation of 235m. By the current rules Santos House (now Westpac House) is 20m over the limit.

Ask the Makris group about red tape. After the old LeCornus site debacle I am surprised they didn't take their bat and ball and go elsewhere. I say that Billion dollars development figure you quoted sounds impressive on the surface but it doesn't represent Adelaide's true potential.

I guess it all depends what your vision of Adelaide is. Some people like it the way it is. I say the Adelaide City councils vision is backward in the highest order. We can build bigger and better and still capture the charm and character of Adelaide.

Another poll on Adelaide now, 91% say AAMI is ****.

However the old farts and nay sayers all leave comments. So typical.

BTW if your interested in developement, or just purely the stadium there is a great website, www.sensational-adelaide.com. Its full of all design nuts.

A new track for the Clipsal anyone...
SSS_Grecia1.jpg

So what we getting more and more like Americans where they don't like anything that they can't see and have to be told what's going on that they are watching? Get real.

Yes Yes, and I fear it is only going to get worse as our populations ages. They wonder why the youth of SA is leaving in Hordes. The young generation like progress and change. Something that isn't happening in this state.

No it's some of the youngsters who demand change because they don't like something. Just build it, damn the cost.

It's the lack of jobs in particular areas is the real reason that they leave, that and they want to do and see things before ....................well they settle down.

I disagree vehemently on that one. Yeah we all love Adelaide, but having 115m height limitation in the CBD is a head scratcher for me. For comparison sydney has a height limitation of 235m. By the current rules Santos House (now Westpac House) is 20m over the limit.

Ask the Makris group about red tape. After the old LeCornus site debacle I am surprised they didn't take their bat and ball and go elsewhere. I say that Billion dollars development figure you quoted sounds impressive on the surface but it doesn't represent Adelaide's true potential.

I guess it all depends what your vision of Adelaide is. Some people like it the way it is. I say the Adelaide City councils vision is backward in the highest order. We can build bigger and better and still capture the charm and character of Adelaide.

Regarding the height issue: A number of decades ago :eek:, I seem to recall the reasons why there are height limits on buildings in the CDB was two fold.

One being that the soil was so bad that the so called experts at the time felt that it would be too dangerous to build buildings over a certain height. :eek:

The second and most important one is that the city is unfortunately in one of the major flight paths of aircraft using a particular runway at the airport.
Bad planning all round. Again.

Remove this Banner Ad

AAMI Stadium $5.5mill Lights Upgrade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back