Delisted Aaron Cornelius (2008-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Corndog is gonna become our new cult player. He'll be kicking Peter Cransberg-esque bags in the 2's and unable to get a game ahead of Fevola and Brown.
With Staker looking good down back recently, surely Cornelious could be our third tall forward? That role hasn't worked out for Staker generally.

With Staker looking good down back recently, surely Cornelious could be our third tall forward? That role hasn't worked out for Staker generally.

"Third tall forward" implies that we'll have two other tall forwards. That doesn't seem to be a gimme atm.

I actually liked our setup of rotating Acorn and Staker. Staker isn't really damaging up forward, but he presents as a really good target, so i don't mind still having Staker playing some minutes up there. Especially if we are having trouble moving the ball as Staker is good at leading down to the wings.

Acorn stays in whilst Brown is out, and when Brown comes back in, we take a look at how the team is sitting, and try slot him in as the 3rd forward i think.

yeah he's terrible at ground level. that pick up and hand pass to redden for a goal was disgraceful. should be dropped :p

10 minute mark - 3rd 1/4. Magical pick up & hand off to Banfield whose shot was touched on the line. And his pick up & snap for his 4th goal (that the ump took from him & gave Fev his goal) was pretty smooth. Don't worry, A-Corn is OK on the ground.

He has these.

sticky-hands.jpg

Bellchambers, Cornelius step up
BY ALEX FAIR
22 Jun, 2010 09:21 AM

TWO young Tasmanians took significant steps in their short footballing lives over the weekend. But the places of Essendon's Thomas Bellchambers and Brisbane's Aaron Cornelius may be limited despite these career- best outings.

Glenorchy's Cornelius, 20, was finally given an opportunity in Brisbane's loss to Richmond after being an emergency several times this year. The 192cm forward, who was a late inclusion for Simon Black, kicked 3.1, playing mainly on Will Thursfield from 10 touches and six marks in just his second game. But his place may be dependent on the health of skipper Jonathan Brown, who is still at least three weeks away from playing due to an abdominal injury.

cornelius2.jpg

Well, you would have to say so far Acorn is 2 from 2. He has had 2 senior games, and has performed well in both. First game he managed to sneak 2 goals after starting down back. 2nd game he looked at home up forward, take a few good grabs. Voss has shown that if guys perform well enough, he makes room for them, and i think if Acorn keeps contributing like this, he will keep his spot when Brown is back.

Well, you would have to say so far Acorn is 2 from 2. He has had 2 senior games, and has performed well in both. First game he managed to sneak 2 goals after starting down back. 2nd game he looked at home up forward, take a few good grabs. Voss has shown that if guys perform well enough, he makes room for them, and i think if Acorn keeps contributing like this, he will keep his spot when Brown is back.

714jmc.jpg

Cornelius is an awesome young talent, for sure. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voss

“Aaron will definitely play against Carlton. He showed some good signs against Richmond a couple weeks ago.”

“Defensively he probably need a little bit more work, but was quite lively in the forward half taking a few good marks and kicking a couple of goals.”

I hope we play him for the rest of the year, Im guessing his contract is up at the end of the year and with Brown and Fev already in the team I dont want him leaving for better opputunities. Looks the goods and could be a traditional full forward for the next 10 years.

We must sign him up now. Has something really special about him. Really suprised it has taken so long for him to get a game. Shame we didn't get it to him more last night - those hands will hold anything!!!

He can make things happen, he just needs to get involved more. Tough gig playing on the opposition's number 1 defender though.

Brown said at half time that he has the best hands at the club.

Corny has some bloody good hands. I'd be inclined to put him in the team all year even at full strength. He looks a keeper I hope he doesn't decide to head off for a better opportunity.

He can make things happen, he just needs to get involved more.

Thought he did this quite well early. He pushed right back into defence to be involved in a contest deep. Then immediately drifted up to HB where he ran forward and took a mark running forward with the flight of the ball. Quickly turned and saw the switch was on and kicked beautifully out in from of Lobster (I think) bursting down the wing who never needed to pause or halt, hit the ball on the run and delivered inside 50.

Was good to see him pushing back and getting involved, just as you said here Grim.

Unfortunately he went a bit MIA in the 2nd half. It was hard to tell from the telecast if that was time on ground related or just being at the opposite end of the ground from it all.

Thought he did this quite well early. He pushed right back into defence to be involved in a contest deep. Then immediately drifted up to HB where he ran forward and took a mark running forward with the flight of the ball. Quickly turned and saw the switch was on and kicked beautifully out in from of Lobster (I think) bursting down the wing who never needed to pause or halt, hit the ball on the run and delivered inside 50.

Was good to see him pushing back and getting involved, just as you said here Grim.

Unfortunately he went a bit MIA in the 2nd half. It was hard to tell from the telecast if that was time on ground related or just being at the opposite end of the ground from it all.
The ball barely went inside our forward 50 in the second half that's why:eek: Although I did turn the TV of with 5 minutes to go in the final term. I just couldn't watch anymore:(

My comment was not that of disappointment, but rather a reference to that being where the improvement will come from. Then he'll go from a handy player to a good one.

Seeing him work his way up the ground gave me some confidence (at the time) that he could operate as a 3rd tall alongside Fev and Brown. I suspect he may have ran out of puff in the 2nd half, but as you say it was hard to judge.

My comment was not that of disappointment, but rather a reference to that being where the improvement will come from.

And just to clarify my position I wasn't attacking you by saying "but he did that moron!" more highlighting he showed a glimpse or two of it which, I agree with you, is a very positive sign and where his step up will be noticed most.

He can make things happen, he just needs to get involved more. Tough gig playing on the opposition's number 1 defender though.

Brown said at half time that he has the best hands at the club.

My comment was not that of disappointment, but rather a reference to that being where the improvement will come from. Then he'll go from a handy player to a good one.

Seeing him work his way up the ground gave me some confidence (at the time) that he could operate as a 3rd tall alongside Fev and Brown. I suspect he may have ran out of puff in the 2nd half, but as you say it was hard to judge.

MUST, MUST, MUST play out the season. He is the single most exciting thing to happen to us this year. Play as the 3rd tall, play bits at full back or CHB, hell - even the odd run in the ruck - but if we are to be competitive in the future A-Corn will be part of it.

Thought Hendo was good last nite, but given a choice I will have A-Corn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted Aaron Cornelius (2008-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back