Delisted Aaron Cornelius (2008-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Link

Eyebrows were raised when goalkicker Aaron Cornelius was named on an extended Lions bench on Thursday night. But Voss simply laughed off any connection with Brown's fitness.

"He was also an emergency last week," Voss said. "He has warranted his position as an emergency - that's it."

http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5085/newsid/96297/default.aspx

Voss said he was reluctant to move Mitch Clark out of the centre square to cover for the loss of Brown.

That may open the door for Aaron Cornelius to fill the giant shoes of the skipper.

“He certainly comes into contention, that’s for sure,” Voss said.

“He obviously comes in fresh because the reserves didn’t play (on the weekend), he’s been in pretty good form also.”

May not be a bad idea- at worst may draw a defender away from Fev, may even mean we're looking for another option going into the forward 50- far too many 2 on 1's giving Fev no chance.

I saw a bit of A-Corn against Aspley on TV the other night. They only showed the last quarter but I did notice a couple of times that he made longer leads up to the wings. I had him pegged as a bit of a true full forward and wasn't sure how he'd go together with Fevola. But he worked hard to get separation from his opponent on a long lead which is a good sign that he can play more CHF.

Simply must play against the Tigers. I would love to see FF in the goal square, nice and deep, and Acorn about 30m out leading up, drawing his defender with him, leaving space for Fev to move into.

onya chopperduck ! i knew i would get you on my side ! for god sake vossey put the kid in and give us some scoring potential !!!!:thumbsu:

Thought he played a good game, hopefully Voss has half a brain cell and keeps him in this time.

A real talent. Much has been made of leaving young players with potential in the team as a part of their development, to pay the price now to create a player for the future

IMO, A-corn is definately in that category.

A joy to watch tonight - a lot of improvement left but boy-howdy, for a second gamer, there was a lot to like IMO.

Strong hands, and stood up Fev in terms of effort and attack on the incoming footy.

With the season gone and a week's break for Vossy to ponder what to do with the remaining games - let us watch this kid - please.

:thumbsu: This.

Cornelius was great tonight and he should be in the side for the remainder of the year. For some reason Voss allowed far too much time to elapse between his first and second games, even playing an injured Brown rather than giving Cornelius a run. Now is his chance to rectify that coaching mistake.

Well done Aaron Cornelius!

the thing is... he showed quite a bit in the first game and we have all been left wondering why he has constantly been overlooked ever since.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was great last night, if we didn't have him in we would've got beaten by more. Must stay in the side for the remainder of the season. Well done on last night Aaron!

Lesser light shines up forward
By Michael Whiting
1:45 PM Sun 20 June, 2010

“I got a good night’s sleep last night,” he laughed. “They gave me the call and told me my role and it was quite exciting. " Vossy spoke to me and said I had a role up forward and just said to keep doing what I’d been doing in the last month, lead up at the ball and work-rate and those sort of things.”

The 192cm forward took three contested marks, booted three goals, and also dished off another to Jack Redden after a slick pick-up and handball.“I certainly didn’t feel out of place,” he said.

Cornelius said he had worked on his strength in the off-season to build on his relatively light frame and hoped this would be the start of a regular first-team position. “When the opportunities arise I’ve got to take it with both hands. Hopefully now I’ve had a go and done enough to keep my spot and try and continue on,” he said.

cornelius.jpg

I still don't see Cornelius in the best 22. With Fev, Brown, Staker, Maguire, Merett, Patfull, Brennan and Clark all better key position players atm. With them playing i think the team will be too top heavy with Cornelius also in the side. However if Brown, Fev or Staker are injured he should be straight in. Also if Staker goes back to playing like he has for 90% of his career which is quite poor, then Cornelius can play as a third tall forward but atm Staker's flexibility has been really valuable.

Too be a more permanent member of the side Cornelius needs to be better at ground level like Stevie J., Bate or Porplyzia.

At 192cm Cornelius is never going to be similar to S.Johnson or J.Porplyzia.

Cornelius is probably not in our best 22, but you've got to wonder if we would be any worse off if he was at FF every week instead of Fevola.

Don't get me wrong, I like Fevola and think that he's the most exciting player that we've had on the team since Lynch and Akermanis. But I think Cornelius's ability to step into the team in a key forward role has probably been underestimated. Yes, I know he's only played the two games, but I don't think his efforts have been a thing of fluke.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eAY17a_ag2w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eAY17a_ag2w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Too be a more permanent member of the side Cornelius needs to be better at ground level like Stevie J., Bate or Porplyzia.

yeah he's terrible at ground level. that pick up and hand pass to redden for a goal was disgraceful. should be dropped :p

Against St Kilda he kicked a couple of opportunistic goals (a skill in its own right) but against Richmond he kicked more traditional key forward goals - contested marking and accurate set shots.

My query on him is whether he has the athleticism to create opportunities to kick easy goals, or is he going to have to do the spectacular to have an influence?

If he can back up that performance with another couple of solid games, taking some solid marks and doing a lead up type role, i would like to see him get the 3rd tall spot, and we keep Staker down back where he has played pretty well this year. With both Fev and Brown in the team, i think it is important for us to have that 3rd option, and to actually use him. Needs to be someone who can take a good mark, and Acorn has the 'sticky hands' for the job.

The Corndog is gonna become our new cult player. He'll be kicking Peter Cransberg-esque bags in the 2's and unable to get a game ahead of Fevola and Brown.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted Aaron Cornelius (2008-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back