Aaron Sandilands' legacy

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Australian board ====>
Interesting thread...if you live in Belmont perhaps.
Don't understand this tbh.

Why does a thread about the currently dominant ruckman only matter to Western Australians? Is it that only us Western Australians appreciate a good ruckman?

Why does a thread about the currently dominant ruckman only matter to Western Australians? Is it that only us Western Australians appreciate a good ruckman?
Especially when there's currently a thread about the next premiership between Carlton, Essendon and Richmond. At least this thread is about elite ruckman.

Fair enough. And all topics are valid to someone. But the discussion of Sandilands V Cox suggests a view of the world that doesn't extend far beyond Gosnells. To try and respond to the OP, Sandilands - great bloke, good ruckman -- seems like he will be a marginal figure in the games history.

Fair enough. And all topics are valid to someone. But the discussion of Sandilands V Cox suggests a view of the world that doesn't extend far beyond Gosnells. To try and respond to the OP, Sandilands - great bloke, good ruckman -- seems like he will be a marginal figure in the games history.
Wasn't even a Sandilands vs Cox post, was a Sandilands just smashed a record/how will he be viewed in 10 years post. Don't know why people have come in talking about Cox vs Sandi or even brining Naitanui into it, was never meant to be a comparison post.

Cox was mentioned because he is largely considered the best modern ruckman, nothing to do with the fact that he played for WC.

I just feel like 4x All Australian isn't quite 'marginal in the game's history.' There are few other ruckmen who have finished their careers with similar accolades - Cox is one of them, thus why the conversation becomes Sandi v Cox.

Doesn't it make sense to compare the two best ruckmen of the past decade or so?
Seems irrelevant that they're from WA.

How many more Perth suburbs are you going to name?

Sandi is a great ruckman who gives his mids first use of the ball, but he is so predictable. Should take more marks and when he does looks to handball immediately. Also should kick a lot more goals considering his size. But when all is said and done, I still love the fact that Sandi plays for us and think he is a dead set champ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't it make sense to compare the two best ruckmen of the past decade or so?
Seems irrelevant that they're from WA.

Oh come on...it was a parochial question inviting the parochial answer that Cox and Sandilands are the best ruckmen ever. History won't put Sandilands on that rung, and I think that's the uneasiness behind the original question. Despite 4 all-Australians and a million hitouts, there's a feeling that Sandi just come up short compared to the greats.

Oh come on...it was a parochial question inviting the parochial answer that Cox and Sandilands are the best ruckmen ever. History won't put Sandilands on that rung, and I think that's the uneasiness behind the original question. Despite 4 all-Australians and a million hitouts, there's a feeling that Sandi just come up short compared to the greats.
My interpretation was really that he was just referring to recent times. This is just semantics, so let's just leave it at that haha.

Aaron Sandilands has just recorded 69 hitouts in tonight's game against Adelaide, which appears to be the AFL/VFL record. According to this article posted last year, the record at that time stood at 63 from North Melbourne's Gary Dempsey in 1982. I'm fairly sure that hasn't been broken since the article was posted, but either way it's a phenomenal effort that emphasises what Sandi can do at his absolute best.

It got me thinking about the legacy Sandi will leave behind him when he wraps it up. Obviously a physical freak from a sheer size point of view, I've never felt he reached the heights he could have. Don't get me wrong, he's has some excellent periods of play and a fair few accolades (4 time All Australian, Fremantle's B+F in 2009, Grand Finalist) and injuries have held him back no doubt, which was perhaps to be expected of someone his size. Sandi is also a matchup nightmare when resting forward, making him even more damaging than some of the less agile ruckmen in the league. Maybe it's the blue and gold tinted glasses, but there never seemed a point where he was far and away better than Dean Cox or other challengers for best ruck in the league (although he was always in the conversation). Sandi's career for mine was at its peak for 3-4 years but he's struggled, mainly due to injury, to recapture that peak.

When Sandilands retires and you're describing his career to someone who didn't see it, what will you say? Was he an undisputed top tier ruckman for long enough to be considered one of the greats, or did you expect more consistently from someone of his size?

Second best ruckman of the last 10 years, behind Cox. That's no slight on Sandi, either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aaron Sandilands' legacy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back