Aaron Sandilands' legacy

Remove this Banner Ad

Those guys still have other great attributes (except Steve Morris who sucks in everything except courage and effort). Sandilands for me has one great attribute and isnt much better than any other ruck at anything else. In quite a few areas hes below a number of them (impact around the ground, possesion, mobility, contested marking, goalkicking).
See above.

And the only rucks (well, just had a look at top 20 for hitouts) that have significantly more goals then him are Nicnat and well Ryder and Tippett who are probably more forwards then other rucks.

Surely he is no tackling machine like Mumford or Lobbe. But we have low tackles numbers this year anyway. And possessions are not big but he is ruck after all and not many go around with a lot of damaging touches. Martin and Cox are more like anomalies with midfielder numbers.

Last edited:
Not sure he has Cox covered, but they're completely different players. The simpletons who point to his size as the only reason he is good may want to have a look at Peter Street (another 211), Matthew Burton (210, solid ruckman) and then guys like Warnock (206) who is bog average.

Sandi is a footballer, smart, no fuss. He has some weaknesses but I can't think of any ruck getting the best of him consistently since 2006. He has beat Goldy & Sauce convincingly the last two weeks and had one of his best games last year against Sauce when the talk was he was the no.1 ruck.

Don't stir the monster. Our most important player - including Fyfe.
Peter Street is a copper now. I hope his decision making is better now.

#mace friendly

Those guys still have other great attributes (except Steve Morris who sucks in everything except courage and effort). Sandilands for me has one great attribute and isnt much better than any other ruck at anything else. In quite a few areas hes below a number of them (impact around the ground, possesion, mobility, contested marking, goalkicking).

He is a dead eye at goals.

Anyway he's a champ and if picking a side to represent your life just interested in who your ruckman would be? Pretty sure if we did a poll Sandi would piss it in and the only reason he wouldn't is because of the non footy followers who track players based on dream team points and probably have no idea.

4th in the league for contested marking

So we got a guy who has won the most hit outs, 4th most contested marks in the league, Second most effective disposals out of any ruckman.

You can just clearly come out and admit you know nothing about him. It's fine. Most of us who watch him clearly know your making crap up

4th in the league for contested marking

So we got a guy who has won the most hit outs, 4th most contested marks in the league, Second most effective disposals out of any ruckman.

You can just clearly come out and admit you know nothing about him. It's fine. Most of us who watch him clearly know your making crap up
Im comparing him more to rucks over the years, i.e his legacy in the game, not his current season. Isnt this thread about his standing in the game of all time and not hia stats for this season?
What am I making up? That by far his best attribute is his size and hitout ability and the other areas of his game dont standout against the great rucks of the game?

Never as good as Cox. If Sandi was 10cm shorter he wouldnt be anythung special. He dominates the hitouts due to his size and strength, with very few other strings to his bow. Not noted for marking, around the ground or kicking goals. Not near Cox imo.

Size is just as much apart of physical talent like speed or strength. You measure players by what they can do, nothing else matters. How they can do it is completely irrelevant. Every top level player have physical gifts and advantages they were simply born with.

Peter Street was also tall and not half the player Sandilands is. His endurance, durability and strength that's allowed him to almost single handedly carry our ruck for his whole career is outstanding.

His size is also in some ways a weakness. His vertical leap and agility are hindered because of this. So disregarding the advantages of his size, but focusing on the weaknesses of his size isn't a fair argument.

Arguably never had the midfielders around him to be as truly damaging as he was always capable of being. More often than not, his ball was sharked by opposition. In recent years though, he's had the personnel around him to communicate and establish good position. Always been a dominant ruckman though, can't even remember a time where he lost a match-up.

As for Cox, you can certainly argue that he's the more complete player of the two, and had rare touch for a man his size, but when it came to the mano e mano, I can't recall too many occasions when Sandilands was beaten.

Given the quality of ruckman at Port over the years, I don't think I can remember a time where we won the ruck against him which says a bit when we had upto 3 AA std ruckman in the team at the same time. I vaguely remember we might of got close 1 year when Lade/ Brogan followed him at every ball up and went 3rd man up. Half the time he may as well be rucking against a dude holding up a training bag.

As one of the two greatest ruckman of this generation.

If you had to bet your life on a ruckman to win you a hitout, it'd be Sandi.

Hey guys if Wayne Carey was only 5'2 he would have been a shit Centre Half Forward too!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'll be remembered as a beastly man mountain who was incredibly hard to beat in the ruck. Pretty skilled too for such a massive human. One of the best.

There never seemed a point where he was far and away better than Dean Cox or other challengers for best ruck in the league. Sandi's career for mine was at its peak for 3-4 years but he's struggled, mainly due to injury, to recapture that peak.

Dean Cox
290 games
1 best and fairest (Runner-up once)
71 Brownlow votes (0.24 per game)
6,628 hitouts (22.9)
813 clearances (2.8)
246 contested marks (0.9)
1,929 contested poss (6.7)
481 one-percenters (1.7)

Aaron Sandilands
225 games
1 best and fairest (Runner-up 3 times)
68 Brownlow votes (0.3 per game)
6,677 hitouts (29.7)
710 clearances (3.2)
271 contested marks (1.2)
1,615 contested poss (7.2)
501 one-percenters (avg 2.2)

Dean Cox
290 games
1 best and fairest (Runner-up once)
71 Brownlow votes (0.24 per game)
6,628 hitouts (22.9)
813 clearances (2.8)
246 contested marks (0.9)
1,929 contested poss (6.7)
481 one-percenters (1.7)

Aaron Sandilands
225 games
1 best and fairest (Runner-up 3 times)
68 Brownlow votes (0.3 per game)
6,677 hitouts (29.7)
710 clearances (3.2)
271 contested marks (1.2)
1,615 contested poss (7.2)
501 one-percenters (avg 2.2)

Doesn't factor in that Cox was second string to Michael Gardiner in his younger days and then lost more and more time to Naitanui and Lycett in recent years and was played as a forward towards the end. Also omits possessions and goals which I assume Cox is creaming him in. Either way I'mwasn't pointing out the comparison, just saying there never seemed to be a consensus 'Sandi is the best ruck in the comp' period, where there have been consensus 'Buddy is the best forward' or 'Judd is the best mid' or 'Ablett is the best messiah' moments.

Doesn't factor in that Cox was second string to Michael Gardiner in his younger days and then lost more and more time to Naitanui and Lycett in recent years and was played as a forward towards the end. Also omits possessions and goals which I assume Cox is creaming him in. Either way I'mwasn't pointing out the comparison, just saying there never seemed to be a consensus 'Sandi is the best ruck in the comp' period, where there have been consensus 'Buddy is the best forward' or 'Judd is the best mid' or 'Ablett is the best messiah' moments.
In 2008, it was lineball between Sandilands and Cox as to who was the best ruckman in the AFL.
However, in 2009, 2010 and the first two months of 2011, nobody else came close to Sandilands. He was dominant.
The foot injury in 2011 struck him down at the peak of his powers.

Im comparing him more to rucks over the years, i.e his legacy in the game, not his current season. Isnt this thread about his standing in the game of all time and not hia stats for this season?
What am I making up? That by far his best attribute is his size and hitout ability and the other areas of his game dont standout against the great rucks of the game?

LOL are you serious? Sandilands would have more contested marks than any other ruck for the last 5 years. Not just that, he would be near the top of all players if you look at averages (Sandi has missed a few games). When he was younger and more agile he would also get a heap of contested possessions and clearances by himself. You clearly have not seen him play too often.

That's not right mate. After polly, Dempsey was the major influence on rucks involving themselves in open play and Stynes built on that but they were both still used the old fashioned way floating a kick behind play ( which still happens now when needed) but cox was the first to actually use himself as an extra on baller and forward. That is now the prototype for any current ruckman.

Horseshit. Stephen Michael was doing in the late 70's and early 80's

Remove this Banner Ad

Aaron Sandilands' legacy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back