ABC - "One of the lowest days in the history of the NMFC"

Remove this Banner Ad

I was actually thinking on my cold-stroll back to the car, "Is that the worse loss I've seen?"
My memory is pretty sketchy of the bad losses, as you tend to forget the shit games, but the only other loss I can think of to the level of embarrassment and commitment was in 1996 against the Swan at Princess Park, and we lost by 90 odd....the upside there was it was purely an aberration, the rest is history.
Gutted about today's loss.

Certainly ranks right up there with the worst, so yes cant agrue with the ABC. Largest ever losing margin to Collingwood.

Essendon in the 2000 QF and Geelong in the 2007 QF would be up there. 2007 Preliminary was crap as well, but kicking 3 goals for the game is going to take some beating.

The last three quarters were probably the most insipid, uncompetitive quarters I've probably ever seen the club display in over 20 years.

Both the players AND the coaching staff need to take a good hard look at themselves.

Absolutely ****ing disgraceful.

We played arguably our worst 70 minutes of football in a decade from the 10 minute mark of the second quarter.

It was beyond dismal.

Essendon in the 2000 QF and Geelong in the 2007 QF would be up there. 2007 Preliminary was crap as well, but kicking 3 goals for the game is going to take some beating.

I think floggings in finals take on extra degrees of lowness.

The '87 Elimination Final against Melbourne was pretty ordinary as well.

Absolutely ****ing disgraceful.

We played arguably our worst 70 minutes of football in a decade from the 10 minute mark of the second quarter.

It was beyond dismal.

I have watched a lot of North losses over the years. Some huge like this. But I have not seen for some time our club being intimidated by another club. Especially Collingwood. There was no belief other than from Wells, Swallow and Goldstein that they would win a contest at all. And from that complete absence of belief the result flowed.

How many times did you see Ziebell get the ball and just panic kick it anywhere. Not even in a vague general direction of our players or even to open space where we could contest for it.Now he was not on his own here and at least he was getting it at times but the only players with any idea of advantageous disposal were Wells, Swallow and Goldstein.

I will very very annoyed if players are not held to account for this. Scott needs to apologise to the hundreds of North players that have represented the club over the years all of which had more pride than this lot.

How many times did you see Ziebell get the ball and just panic kick it anywhere.

46% efficiency.

He doesn't have the strength yet to break away from the contest, and he'll never have the speed.

The glaring difference between the two sides is ball use and set up.

Why did a loose ball always seem to fall in to the hands of a Collingwood player? Because they play IN FRONT and POSITION WELL.

46% efficiency.

He'll doesn't have the strength yet to break away from the contest, and he'll never have the speed.

The glaring difference between the two sides is ball use and set up.

Why did a loose ball always seem to fall in to the hands of a Collingwood player? Because they play IN FRONT and POSITION WELL.

Precisely. I was using Ziebell not so much as a direct criticism of his game because he at least got the ball but it was even when he had time that he felt the pressure and did not use that time but just banged it on the boot.

Leigh Brown is a case in point. Gets to a dangerous position - IN FRONT and is very difficult to shift when he does so. We were defensive and did not believe that that they would win the contest for the ball and consequently didn't.

We panicked, tripped over our own feet, fumbled, missed targets, took dives, dropped marks, missed goals from 20 metres out and generally played like SHIT.

But PLEASE North Melbourne players and officials, stay out of the media with your apologies and calls for "redemption" etc.

Just close ranks, STFU and come out next Sunday and have a red hot go for 100 minutes against the Doggies.

A couple of huge losses to Port in the last decade have hurt.

Collingwood are as good as we were shit today. Yes they got the rub of the green but they ARE that good! Hopefully we'll be there in 2-3 years?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We panicked, tripped over our own feet, fumbled, missed targets, took dives, dropped marks, missed goals from 20 metres out and generally played like SHIT.

But PLEASE North Melbourne players and officials, stay out of the media with your apologies and calls for "redemption" etc.

Just close ranks, STFU and come out next Sunday and have a red hot go for 100 minutes against the Doggies.

I too hope very much that we do this - don't do a Port or a Richmond. You won't know when to stop apologising otherwise (not that I hope we ever serve that up again).

Today was terrible and the apparent lack of effort was totally unacceptable but for mine the 1998 Grand Final was the most gut-wrenching defeat in memory.

Thread is begging for a poll!

Today's loss reminds me of the hidings North used to get from top teams in the sixties. But in those days the club only had about half a dozen top class players in the side. There's no excuse for today's humiliation. All these supposedly promising and skilled players we have are getting away with letting the team down. We have just as much talent as several other clubs but the players aren't showing it often enough. I hope this is a huge wake-up call for the club.

Essendon in the 2000 QF and Geelong in the 2007 QF would be up there.
I am the anti-scottywiper (I haven't seen North win live in Melbourne yet.) I have had the "privilege" of seeing both these losses as part of my occasional sojourns east to watch my beloved Roos. Both were truly appalling; the Essendon one seemed worse.

The finals nature makes me think they were worse, but at least David King did some good things that day... today, there was NOTHING worth replaying. NOTHING!!! Not a single passage of play worth watching again.

As a Roos supporter since 1976, I struggle to think of a lower day.

Not only did we score a pathetic 30 points, got hammered by 117 points and did some long term damage to our team psyche against the 'top 4' - Worst of all is that mentally we shat ourselves against the pies. Brad Scott talked it up like it was a final or something and the players shat themselves, no spirit whatsoever. It was NOT NMFC who I watched play today but rather some bullshit port or richmond side that are a joke. For a team thinking they can play finals - we will truly see against the Hawks, Blues and Dogs in the next few weeks. If we cant knock one of those teams off, then we haven't improved much from last season but merely taken a step sidewise.

46% efficiency.

He doesn't have the strength yet to break away from the contest, and he'll never have the speed.

Except when he does.

Less than 50 games.

Should only be a forward.

Will destroy centre squared when he's 22.

Blah blah blah.

We got super pumped by the best tean going. JZ wasn't our worst.

Today was terrible and the apparent lack of effort was totally unacceptable but for mine the 1998 Grand Final was the most gut-wrenching defeat in memory.

Thread is begging for a poll!

Mine would be that game v essendon when they came back from about 12 goals down. I was there with a group of bombers fans...got too mouthy too early...

A couple of huge losses to Port in the last decade have hurt.

Collingwood are as good as we were shit today. Yes they got the rub of the green but they ARE that good! Hopefully we'll be there in 2-3 years?

Yeah, and round 22 2008 is the worst of those. Top four up for grabs, and we got hammered by a team that had won six games for the year.

Honestly, you can just about call any 100-point loss the worst, because they all feel that way at the time. However if, like I, you were there to see us lose by 150 points against Fitzroy in 1983, then I think you'd agree that that's the worst.

Yeah, and round 22 2008 is the worst of those. Top four up for grabs, and we got hammered by a team that had won six games for the year.

Honestly, you can just about call any 100-point loss the worst, because they all feel that way at the time. However if, like I, you were there to see us lose by 150 points against Fitzroy in 1983, then I think you'd agree that that's the worst.

Especially given we were on top of the ladder at the time :eek:

Didn't enjoy it. But what are you gonna do ?

Gotta support the team.

250px-Puddysmall.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

ABC - "One of the lowest days in the history of the NMFC"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back