Hodgepodge

Hall of Famer
Suspended
30k Posts 10k Posts
Apr 28, 2008
Erin Riley's air mattress
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I have made a couple of observations this year that as of yet have gone unchallenged even by Geelong fans.

1. Ablett doesn't get the best tagger. Geelong fans have admitted this however their rationale is that he is untaggable. This is clearly not the case when you look at the second observation.

2. Ablett hasn't hit 30 disposals this season when he got the best tagger

Now I am aware that Ablett has won the MVP 3 times in a row and has been the best midfielder the last 3 years.

However we cannot truly judge him as a player until he receives the kind of attention Buckley, Judd, Hird and Voss did.

No opposition coach would risk Judd with anyone but their best shutdown player. Similarly, Hird. Voss. And so on.

I appreciate that Ablett is highly rated, and rightly so. However his accomplishments are always going to be viewed with regard to the minimal amount of attention he receives.

Consider his first game against Adelaide in 2009.

At AAMI Stadium:
46 possessions, 3 goals. His opponent? Jared Petrenko.

His second game against Adelaide in 2009.

At Skilled Stadium:
21 disposals, 2 goals. His opponent was Robert Shirley.

Talk of Ablett rating amongst the best will fade quickly if he can't test himself consistently against the better negating players.

Re: Ablett doesn't rate until he gets the No.1 tag

21 possession and 2 goals is still a pretty handy game from a midfielder copping a hard tag. If that's the most damning evidence you can find you're struggling a bit.

• Banned

21 possession and 2 goals is still a pretty handy game from a midfielder copping a hard tag.

No doubt it is.

However compare this to his season average and it's much less.

I'm just saying that we have to judge Ablett's performances when he gets the No.1 tag rather than when he doesn't.

No doubt it is.

However compare this to his season average and it's much less.

I'm just saying that we have to judge Ablett's performances when he gets the No.1 tag rather than when he doesn't.

It's still only one game though. You'll have to show a much bigger sample size than that to prove anything.

Ablett got the number one tag in 07 and 08.

Opposition teams then realised it didn't cut his influence, so tagged other Geelong midfielders.

and BTW to the OP, your opinion of Ablett is invalid, not because you support Hawthorn, but because you have no knowledge of AFL football.

Every player will get more possessions without a hard tag. Probably says that we shouldn't judge Ablett as being a 40+ possession player, but more somewhere in between his tagged and untagged performances. Still puts him in the elite however.

For the record 24 possessions and no goals, with a hard tag by Aaron Joseph. With that and the preseason effort as well, I suspect Joseph and Ablett are set to have a pretty good rivalry over the years, unless Joseph becomes a ball winning midfielder in his own right.

• Banned

It's still only one game though. You'll have to show a much bigger sample size than that to prove anything.

I have four games in 2009 where he got the No.1 tag.

GF 25 disposals, 1 goal
Rd 19 24 disposals
Rd 18 21 disposals, 2 goals
Rd 14 27 disposals, 2 goals

These are the games in which he got the best tag.

4022812485_f4a9f33406.jpg

Hawthorn played Chance Bateman on him. Our number one tagger? No.

The only bastard in your team quick enough to attempt you cake.

I love how Hodgeypodgey literally makes things up to suit his arguments.

In round 4, Robert Shirley played on Ablett exclusively. That's a bonafide fact.

Off the top of my head Liam Picken, Kieran Jack, Kane Cornes played on Gaz this year. People can debate whether or not they are the No. 1 shutdown player on their team...

King of deflection HP will find a way to invalidate this though. Stay tuned people...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember in round 3 this year when Ablett only got 6 posessiongs all of which went to the wrong target, got tacked 102 times by Bryce Gibbs despite Essendon playing Carlton that weekend, kicked an own goal and was eating CurlyWhirlies at half time with a peg holding his hair back in a ponytail.

He's a terrible player.

McVeigh had a better year.

I have four games in 2009 where he got the No.1 tag.

GF 25 disposals, 1 goal
Rd 19 24 disposals
Rd 18 21 disposals, 2 goals
Rd 14 27 disposals, 2 goals

These are the games in which he got the best tag.

Anything to back this up, apart from "trust me"?

Give us Ablett's last 75 opponents and his stats in each game and we'll be able to tell you if you're on to something. Personally, I don't need you re-gurgitating this garbage. I have eyes. It doesn't matter whom the opposition plays on Ablett, he invariably cuts them to ribbons.

21 possession and 2 goals is still a pretty handy game from a midfielder copping a hard tag. If that's the most damning evidence you can find you're struggling a bit.

Especially as he doesn't mention the conditions at Skilled don't always allow for 45 touch 4 goal performances like you can get at the Dome etc etc.

And not to mention ol' podge bits doesn't mention it was a tight game in typical Geelong weather conditions.

Conditions Judd struggled in, and that Hird seldom (if ever) played in.

Who does get the tag then ? cant cite hawks late 2008 beacause we didnt use a pure tagger at all.

Mitch coathangered gablett in one of the 2 1/2 times he shrugged off Lings particular brand of football and was labelled 'dirty'.

I ask who gets #1 because it aint selwood - selwood was theit #1 mf against brisbane and had a shocker.

Its not bartell because he rarely goes in the centre any more

Who gets the #1 tag at geelong

In round 4, Robert Shirley played on Ablett exclusively. That's a bonafide fact.

Off the top of my head Liam Picken, Kieran Jack, Kane Cornes played on Gaz this year. People can debate whether or not they are the No. 1 shutdown player on their team...

King of deflection HP will find a way to invalidate this though. Stay tuned people...

I know for a fact Picken played on Selwood 3 times this year for the majority of the games and there's no question in my mind that's a fact. The same applies for Kane Kornes and I'm fairly sure Shirley was playing on someone else.

I remember in round 3 this year when Ablett only got 6 posessiongs all of which went to the wrong target, got tacked 102 times by Bryce Gibbs despite Essendon playing Carlton that weekend, kicked an own goal and was eating CurlyWhirlies at half time with a peg holding his hair back in a ponytail.

He's a terrible player.

McVeigh had a better year.

Gold...if it wasn't for his name, he'd be in the VFL.

sssh.......bringing facts into this thread will upset fishpodge

Anything to back this up, apart from "trust me"?

Give us Ablett's last 75 opponents and his stats in each game and we'll be able to tell you if you're on to something. Personally, I don't need you re-gurgitating this garbage. I have eyes. It doesn't matter whom the opposition plays on Ablett, he invariably cuts them to ribbons.

This is already an entire season of evidence.

I don't ask anybody to trust me. Watch the games, look at the opponents.

He's had the No.1 tag four times in 2009.

Here he is kicking a goal without a man on him. Rooke's man runs across in the end, that's about as close as I can find to a tag here.

[youtube]tYlQM9m8Ypk[/youtube]

Remove this Banner Ad

Ablett doesn't rate until he gets the No.1 tag *MB thread*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back