Ablett Reported

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm struggling to see the difference between Cousins last week and Ablett this week. Both were hits after a player had handballed, both collected the opponent high with enough force to knock the player down.

Cousins at least had his feet on the ground when he made contact. Ablett is off the ground when he makes contact which makes it harder to argue he was protecting himself.
Does anyone have footage of Counsins hit?

Does anyone have footage of Counsins hit?
This happens every week. “Player X incident is identical to Player Y incident” that happened many moons ago. When you finally compare the two you could write a thesis on the differences.....

It is an unfortunate situation.

In my mind both the Cousins and GAJ hits were not of sufficient force to warrant a suspension - only a fine.

I think if the GAJ hit had happened first, then they would possibly have justified it to give him a fine, and then they would have been forced to do the same with Cousins.

As the incidents happened the other way around, Cousins was given a week and therefore GAJ should be given the same.

SPS played on in the match after being hit by Cousins, and also played the following week.
I have no doubt that Shiel will play next week as well.

Consistency is all the fans want.

Similar to the Fyfe one last year. 1 week. Maybe 1 week downgraded.

Freo challenged the 1 week suspension without success, but Geelong might have more luck.

That one is similar, Fyfe hit him a bit harder though. I think that would make Abletts low impact and a fine which is more then then I thought it would be actually.

Lol nothing to see at all. Thrown out in two minutes.

Open hand with no elbow.

Defenders would get rubbed out for every spoil in the game if this was suspendable as the arms also do this in marking contests
An open hand you say... no elbow you say... time to take off the Geelong goggles. ablett1.jpg ablett2.jpg

This happens every week. “Player X incident is identical to Player Y incident” that happened many moons ago. When you finally compare the two you could write a thesis on the differences.....

Literally happened last well, Google it, it's not that hard.

Similar incidents in that both players got their opponents with an elbow to the head.

There is nothing in it but Cousins, Dusty, Grimes all got a week for very low impact hits to the head with an elbow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Force is irrelevant. I have no doubt that everyone will agree on the following:
- High contact (to the head)
- Low impact

What will be at question is the intent.

As I said earlier, the Cousins hit was automatically graded as 'intentional' based on the MRO/Christensen's view that any hit to the head by an elbow would be considered intentional.

Based on the vision it appears that GAJ's elbow collected Shiel's head.

Therefore 1 week suspension.

Just accept it and move on. You won't need GAJ against North anyway and he could do with a week's rest.

Regardless of the MRO / Tribunals' findings, Ablett deserves a week off. The criticism Geelong received last year when Ablett came home from WA after doing his hamstring (round3 i believe) was deafening .. we've just passed round 7 now.

Interesting test case tho, i may be geelong biased, but the elbow/forearm looks more like a pushing motion rather than an attempt to do some real damage. If elbow/forearm to the head is to be considered a week regardless of force then i guess gary will enjoy a week off. On the other hand .. compare this to Tom Mitchell vs Goldstein.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ablett Reported

Remove this Banner Ad

Back