Ablett senior versus Ablett junior

Remove this Banner Ad

Blight said that Snr was a less complete player as he ONLY was a forward. That is crap. He started as a winger/ hff, and had spells on the backline. Remember a game very fondly where he thrashed WCE in Perth as HBF. Blight has selective amnesia, and I think he's losing it anyway.

As to who is the greatest player, how can you go past the Best player we've ever seen, #5.?? Jnr. is the best mid perhaps of all time, classier and more complete than Judd/Williams, but I wonder if Blight would have said this about him if he was Geelong captain and not GC captain

Ablett Snr[edit] would have to be in the top 5 players all time.

Jnr might get in with the top 5 (maybe top 10) midfielders of all time. That is hot competition. We got G Williams, Judd, Bob Skilton, Ian Stewart, Leigh Matthews...etc

Ablett Snr>>>>>>>>>Ablett Jr. No contest.
And that means no disrespect to Jr.

Sr was a freak of nature who did things I have never seen anyone else remotely capable of. And he could have played any position he was put in and dominated. Hell, I saw him kick 14 from a wing/hff at the MCG v Tigers one day!
Jr has ACHIEVED far more, and I would argue more value to his team than his father.
Jr has that element of selfishness for sure and need to be seen as the best, but he is much more of a team player.

Blight is pumping up Jrs tyres in his capacity as spokesperson for GCS

Blight said that Snr was a less complete player as he ONLY was a forward. That is crap. He started as a winger/ hff, and had spells on the backline. Remember a game very fondly where he thrashed WCE in Perth as HBF. Blight has selective amnesia, and I think he's losing it anyway.

I'd guess around Round 4 or 5, 1992. 36 possessions playing on the ball, and kicked a measly 5 goals to go with it. Considering he was already 30 by then, it was an amazing game.

As to who is the greatest player, how can you go past the Best player we've ever seen, #5.?? Jnr. is the best mid perhaps of all time, classier and more complete than Judd/Williams, but I wonder if Blight would have said this about him if he was Geelong captain and not GC captain

As far as midfielders go, I would still have Williams > Ablett junior > lots of daylight > Judd, Swan etc. Williams was and is so far ahead of Judd it's not worth mentioning.

Blight wouldn't have said a word if he wasn't at Gold Coast. He's been insane for years, now he's shockingly biased as well.

Wonder if anyone would ask him why he never watched a replay of the 1989 Grand Final. Never thought of learning from mistakes Malcolm? You made plenty when you were in charge here.

I'd guess around Round 4 or 5, 1992. 36 possessions playing on the ball, and kicked a measly 5 goals to go with it. Considering he was already 30 by then, it was an amazing game.

Amazing. How many players could win all those Colemans, and also do that at 30?

My favorite memory about Ablett Snr was Mick Turner saying how in one game Ablett was dominating and had just got a goal to put us two points up with a couple of minutes to go. Turner says to Gary "We need just one more goal, and we got it won." Ablett stares at him for a second then runs off down to the centre for the ball up, sharks the ball, runs down and kicks another goal. Turner said he was gobsmacked. Like having your own personal Genie on the footy field. lol

Re: Ablett v Ablett-Who is the greatest?

Malcolm Blight stated that he believed that Gary Ablett jnr was a better player than Gary Ablett snr.

"The H-S then asked who do you think is better-Gary Ablett snr or Gary Ablett jnr?"

I think the Geelong team in the 80-90's would have suffered more from Gary snr absence than the current Geelong team seem to without Gary jnr.

However, Gary snr would be handy for us today, as he can play up forward, where we are deficient, and then we could move the useless twins of Mooney and Hawkins out of the forward line.

I am interested in who other Geelong supporters think is better of the two.

Handy !! :eek: Name any yeam today that wouldn't put him at FF.

But I can't accept the term "useless twins" - way off mark. One struggling with injury and one struggling for form.

Unquestionably the best Father / Son combination of all time. At this stage Jnr has the Flags , Brownlow and AFLPA awards but Snr , to me , was just a freak and the most complete player ever to play.
To kick > 1000 goals and only play FF in his declining years says much of his dominance when he played up the ground. Never had elite endurance but what he could do with that well publicised short muscle fibre had to be seen to be believed. How many goals would he have kicked under the new rules !!!
From the Rex Hunt catchcry of YABLETT or PONTIFF , there was always such an all round buzz at the ground when he played. Superb skills ( I think he could handball ?) and hard as nails and didn't mind dishing it out but could always take it.
One other minor point puts him up there for me.............after crossing very early from the Hawks he remained a Cats player.........

gold coast board
judas is there and useless supporters should be there too

your disrespect for loyal gfc players is piss poor, mooney has been injured and has not had the prep required much like corey last year

move on or off to the goldcoast board

blight is full of shite - jnr was sad this week so daddy made him feel better

Blight was a key player in getting the defector up there and he's a GC board member so he's not what you'd call a disinterested observer. Also, I don't think he and senior had much time for one another.

As a sidelight, did anyone else hear the comment by junior on AW last night that a premiership with GC would mean more to him than the two he won with the Cats?

No amount of highlight reels could ever do Snr justice...one just had to be there week in, week out to experience how great he really was. No superlatives seem quite sufficient to describe his unbelievable skills.

Give Snr the ball 10 times, the Cats virtually* assured of a win....Jnr needs to possess the ball at least 30 times to start to have an impact on the result (IMHO).

* didn't quite work out that way with 14 goals vs. Essendon, for a team loss of 27 pts (if memory serves me correctly on final margin).

No amount of highlight reels could ever do Snr justice...one just had to be there week in, week out to experience how great he really was. No superlatives seem quite sufficient to describe his unbelievable skills.

Give Snr the ball 10 times, the Cats virtually* assured of a win....Jnr needs to possess the ball at least 30 times to start to have an impact on the result (IMHO).

* didn't quite work out that way with 14 goals vs. Essendon, for a team loss of 27 pts (if memory serves me correctly on final margin).
Wouldn't say that. Ablett kicked 10 goals or more in three losses in 1993 alone.

Amazing. How many players could win all those Colemans, and also do that at 30?

My favorite memory about Ablett Snr was Mick Turner saying how in one game Ablett was dominating and had just got a goal to put us two points up with a couple of minutes to go. Turner says to Gary "We need just one more goal, and we got it won." Ablett stares at him for a second then runs off down to the centre for the ball up, sharks the ball, runs down and kicks another goal. Turner said he was gobsmacked. Like having your own personal Genie on the footy field. lol

I was at that game. Round 22, 1986 at the MCG versus Richmond.

I think he kicked 6 that day. Or 8. One of the two. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

im sure he also played further up the ground in the 89 preliminary final game against the bummers for 23 possessions, 10 marks and kicking 8.5.

Young Gaz coming up to his 200th game.. I remember his dad kicking 7 goals at Waverley Park against Carlton for his 200th game.. Ablett Snr was a freak in every way and that's what I loved about the guy..There will ever be only one Gary Ablett..

Ablett senior loved his milestone games too, a little like Scarlett in that regard. From memory his 50th was against Footscray in 1986 when he kicked 5.6, his 100th was against Hawthorn in that 1989 game when we were 9 goals up and lost (thanks to Jeans totally outcoaching Blight not for the last time), and his 150th was that West Coast game in 1992 when he had 36 touches playing on the ball.

Oh yeah I remember his 150th.. Unbelievable game. 5 goals and playing on the wing..Him and Stoneham were running amuck.. Those were the days.. And in 84 Gazza first game for Victoria kicking 8 and taking massive pack marks after only playing 14 games.. If a player did that today the footy world (BF) would go into meltdown on how good this guy is..

gold coast board
judas is there and useless supporters should be there too

your disrespect for loyal gfc players is piss poor, mooney has been injured and has not had the prep required much like corey last year

move on or off to the goldcoast board

blight is full of shite - jnr was sad this week so daddy made him feel better

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Listen, Me, if you don't to answer the question, then YOU go to another board. I only want people who are going to answer the question to post here.

I know that you hate both of their guts, and have always been jealous of Jnr, (his money, his fame, his talent, none of which you have). But don't you dare tell me which board I should be on.

The question pertains to two players who played for Geelong. One is retired, one has left (unfortunately). But I don't see how asking this question is disrespectful to other Geelong players.

Mooney has no relevance to the question, so I don't understand why you would mention him here. I haven't shown any disrespect to loyal Geelong players, but what do they have to do with the immediate question?

If you like, for you, I will ask, who is greater- Jimmy Bartel v Joel Selwood?
But that's not what the topic of conversation was yesterday. I was only trying to be relevant. I am very pleased about the players who have stayed at the club, and am pleased to see that Jimmy is set to ignore GWS's advances and re-sign with Geelong. But I don't back away from the fact that I wish Ablett had stayed as well. That's my opinion.

BTW, Gary Snr was never disloyal to us. If you say how he wasn't part of Geelong for a couple of years after he retired, that is because he wasn't coming back while that sack of shit Gary Ayres was still coaching the club. If you blame Ablett snr for that, then you have to blame Bairstow, Couch and Brownless as well, who all also met the axe at the hands of meglomaniac Ayres, and were estranged from the club. Also, if you think Ayres was not at fault, then ask Adelaide their opinion of him, specificially Shaun Rehn and Andrew MacLeod.

Since you admire loyalty, I will put you down as that you favour Ablett Snr, then!

Re: Ablett vs Ablett: Father vs Son

I'd say there was bad blood between nearly everyone and Gary Ayres.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Not just at Geelong either. He didn't endear himself as Adelaide coach either. Just ask Andrew MacLeod or Shaun Rehn.

Re: Ablett vs Ablett: Father vs Son

Ladies and gents, the Ablett issue can be a touchy one for some. Some look upon Gary Junior as a legend of the club who brought us nine years of footy pleasure, while others view him as a traitor.

Having an opinion is fine. But please play the ball, and not the man. You can disagree with the opinions and arguments of others, but please do not criticise the poster or get personal.

Thanks.

Young Gaz coming up to his 200th game

A great accomplishment

He could have played it at home, in front of his adoring home crowd, and celebrate it with an almighty triumph on free to air television shown all around Oz.

Instead, he'll be getting utterly thumped on the opposite side of this wide brown land on Foxtel. Hardly how a milestone should play out.

In the army, the terminology is: "self inflicted wound, no sympathy".

Wouldn't say that. Ablett kicked 10 goals or more in three losses in 1993 alone.
Yeah, I get that. 'Tis why I "backed out" with my notation about the Essendon game.
I probably should've worded my post to say give Snr the ball 10 times and I was virtually assured of seeing something special worthy of experiencing, whether the team won or lost. ;)

I cant wait to see Ablett play forward later in his career. I think he will kick some bags and become a freakshow!

He played forward last year. Did extremely well, but compared to his old man its not that impressive. I'm pretty sure they just gave Ablett Snr the nickname God after a while. Says it all doesn't it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ablett senior versus Ablett junior

Remove this Banner Ad

Back