List Mgmt. Ablett to move to Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Will He Go?: Gary Ablett had weekend talks with Gold Coast

Well actually the article is about a whole bunch of money shit of other players with a brief mention their sources said Ablett met with some people :rolleyes:

My gut says that Selwood is a bigger chance of going than Gaz.

In the end, both will stay.

....I think.:confused:

...I hope.:eek:

Well actually the article is about a whole bunch of money shit of other players with a brief mention their sources said Ablett met with some people :rolleyes:

Sure it is bro :confused:

My gut says that Selwood is a bigger chance of going than Gaz.

In the end, both will stay.

....I think.:confused:

...I hope.:eek:

I think it's becoming clearer that Gazza is their no 1 target. This said, they may also be thinking that their pitch might make us offer him more than $800 which would pressure the cap and leave us vulnerable to losing others, in which case they would target Selwood.

Point being, I think Gazza's their no 1 target, but like a girl desperate for a date to the prom, they'll be throwing themselves at any and every good player they think they can get.

Memo to Clayton...hands off :thumbsdown:

i can't see us keeping both ablett and selwood. the money it takes to keep one will squeeze the other one out.

the fact that they're reported to have met with ablett directly, rather than just his management, this far out is a terrible sign.

i can't see us keeping both ablett and selwood. the money it takes to keep one will squeeze the other one out.

the fact that they're reported to have met with ablett directly, rather than just his management, this far out is a terrible sign.

I can understand him looking at their offer, you can't blame the guy for that. I just think that there will be top many reasons not to leave that will keep him at the cattery. Mateship, success, media opportunities (there's a $600,000 contract at 9 fir the footy show. Thanks Fev!) and I'd suggest his Mrs would be enjoying her Melbourne media profile. Compare that with a side that will struggle for the first few years at least so finals won't be on the menu for most of his contract if he moves.

Agree with all that. The early signs suggest, like it or not, he might go.
Nathan going out on a limb and a face to face meeting so early, not good.

And in some ways trying to keep Ablett and Selwood at anywhere near the asking price suggests we would have little hope of sustaining any premiership window. Given a choice I would take Joel, 5 years younger.

Not being able to keep this meeting a secret is a massive failing by Pickering for Gaz's sake. The scrutiny will really intensify now wherever Gaz goes.

With us picking up a few draftees & rookies this year & hopefully clearing a few players next year we may have the room to fit both Gaz & Joel in the salary cap.

I am hoping that is the case, then bring on GWS :mad:

Two premierships, maybe three.... thanks for coming Gaz!

What I would like to know - will his kids be eligible for father-son selection?

Whether or not he goes I think people are missing the biggest consequence of this. What effect will it have onfield for 2010? Guys have been signing on for less money while Gary is out whoreing himself out. Hardly team building stuff.

Tippett as far as I know never met up with Gold Coast officials, and I would certainly have been feeling ****ing uneasy if he did. Can't help but think he must at least be considering the move; In any event you can be sure that unless Gaz signs early there is going to be some pretty serious background noise around over the course of your 2010 season. Hoping for your sake that he stays true to the club that blooded and developed him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tippett as far as I know never met up with Gold Coast officials. Would certainly have been feeling ****ing uneasy if he did. In any event you can be sure that unless Gaz signs early there is going to be some pretty serious background noise around over the course of your 2010 season. Hoping for your sake that he stays true to the club that blooded and developed him.

It would be remiss of Gary not to at least listen to what they are offering.

For mine I think it's going to come down to one thing.

If Gaz feels like there's nothing left for him to achieve at the club (and let's face it there isn't a hell of a lot left), then he'll go north for the coin, possibly his bro, and some new challenges.

I mean seriously, the sort of $$$ they are going to be putting on the table, I don't think too many of us could knock it back under the circumstances. I know i'd be giving it plenty of consideration.

I agree that I wouldn't look at the money if I was him...but it is not just baout what he gets at the end of the day....would he be where he is if he wasn't at Geelong? I think that he owes it to Geelong to stay...what would it do to the memberships/sponsorships if he left...this is bigger than Geelong and that is why the Gold Coast want him!

It is not just onfield we would loose!

I agree that I wouldn't look at the money if I was him...but it is not just baout what he gets at the end of the day....would he be where he is if he wasn't at Geelong? I think that he owes it to Geelong to stay...what would it do to the memberships/sponsorships if he left...this is bigger than Geelong and that is why the Gold Coast want him!

It is not just onfield we would loose!

The beauty of what has happened at the club over the past 10 years is that no player is bigger than the club anymore. Back when Gary Snr was running around, he was the GFC. Not anymore.

We would suffer onfield, but I don't think it would dramatically effect sponsorship or membership.

BTW - he doesn't owe Geelong squat. To date he has contributed significantly to 2 flags plus a GF, whilst probably being paid less than market value. If he left after 2010 to chase the coin, he could do so with a clear conscience that he given the GFC value for money, and left the club in a better place than when he joined it.

Word out of Geelong is (and I am not naming sources):
1. Joel likely to stay and has suggested so - loves Geelong and doesn't care about the money
2. the club has no idea what Gaz will do. Has given no indication either way, and this is becoming a concern.

My main issue is not whether he stays or goes in 2011, but what will be the effect of indecision in 2010. The longer this goes on, the more negative the impact will be. On preseason, on the season proper. Can't imagine it being a positive.

If it were me, I think I would stay. In 20 years money won't be a problem either way, and I think it unlikely there would be any regrets about staying put.

Whether he goes or not, it is simply "due diligence" for both he and Pickering to meet with GC. It is highly likely that he was up visiting his brother and used the opportunity to catch up with Hinkley, Clyton and co for a face to face. It would be professionally irresponsible not to meet them. Give us one more flag Gazza and you can go with my blessing!

Whatever.... if he goes, he's a dick and I hope he does his knee. Like he doesn't have enough money already.

I am assuming that you thought Brad Ottens was a dick when he left Richmond to come to Geelong then?

Did Ottens leave Richmond solely for the cash though or was it because he saw there was a more promising future at Geelong than at Richmond?

I have a feeling Gaz will go, and while I'd be shattered, I wouldn't hold it against him forever like I did with Colbert.

Gaz is one of the main reasons we have turned our culture and on-field performances around. He has been our number one contributor towards two flags and a grand final. We have been truly privlidged to get to watch him run around in the hoops every week.

Obviously if he left, the money would be a factor... but he may also relish the challenge of helping build a team from scratch and feel he's achieved all he can at GFC. Face it, what else is there left to do once you've won multiple premierships, a Brownlow, multiple AA selections and B&Fs?

I will keep my fingers crossed that he stays but I must admit I'm not expecting him to.

I really hope I get to bump this post in 6-9 months time and say I was wrong.

would offering Gazza the captainancy make the difference?

And make Selwood vice captain:rolleyes:

Whatever.... if he goes, he's a dick and I hope he does his knee. Like he doesn't have enough money already.

I'm with Wits, that is crap. Grow up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back