Review Abysmal Dogs Lose To Port 102-54

Remove this Banner Ad

I said during the week to a couple mates that we seem to still be piss farting around with positioning and it’s round 17. We needed to do this in pre season / in the early rounds, not now.

Lobb was “too good” the week before, and so we move him to defence?

A strong club would just drop him for Darcy, end of story. Go with the best structure.

It’s very frustrating that we still don’t have a settled side like the top 5-6 clubs do.
Agree and perfect opportunity to drop Marra and reward Lobb even drop Timmy after his efforts over the season reaching a new high vs Xerri and yesterday was the icing on the cake getting done over by Sweet.

Selection integrity does not exist because this side and coaches lack integrity full stop.

Lobb Garcia types are the pawns that are used to try show the football world we are a strong club .

Strong clubs don’t put up with one handed efforts and body language of
Marra, strong clubs don’t have a non competitive player where it all starts. We showed our hand when we started Darcy in the ruck.

Last edited:
We aren't winning enough games on the way home for Bont to win the Brownlow.

Play him forward. Give Richards and Sanders the main midfield minutes.

Macrae is just a nothing player now. He's role is pointless. Garcia or even Harmes much better options for that role.

McNeil.. Unbelievable he's still playing AFL footy. Vandermeer took a huge step back after a good gee games.

Well at least Lobb wasn't looking lost as a Defender! If he can keep up what he has produced so far might have a spot in the team

Only reason Lobb is been played as a defender is because MC can’t make the hard calls like dropping JUH and Timmy and reward Lobb types for their games in their proper positions.

Lobb is not stupid. He had good game as a forward but because we are not prepared to make the hard calls the right calls we will play you in the side as a defender where hopefully you fail so we can replace you with a defender and cover our incompetence.

Are Lobb and Garcia types afforded the same luxury others are like going up one handed week in week out ?
They suck it up in the VFL and try to work there way back in the side whilst others are afforded different rules.

Confusion reigns at the Kennel.

Last edited:
You lost me there. He lives near me. He is a real estate agent and has been banned from several golf clubs nearby for being a gigantic flog. Not what we need.

At this year's Masters comp at Maroochydore, Akermanis played for QLD.
He was swearing, abusing the umpires, abusing his team mates, sniping, and all other things Akermanis.
The main field umpire stopped the game for a moment or two to give him a dressing down. The ump said "I don't know who you are or who you think you are, but any more of your crap, you're off the ground".
To everyone's surprise, he shut his trap, but you could see he had no friends or admirers.

We could kept Sweet, played English as a forward or defender would have set us up for the next 5-10 years.

Didn’t even need to give up picks for Lobb.

It was both mis-management and a missed opportunity and yesterday's opening bounce displayed that. I'm still not sure why Beveridge did that. Was it to get into Sweet's head? Huge backfire is it was.

Seriously guys are you delusional??
This loss isn’t on young players
Gags and Sander have played 15 and 10 games. They are developing and are giving it their best.
English Marra (who’s still young) deserve to cop a bit of heat. Marra could need a spell at vfl soon. Lacking some intensity and fitness to be honest.
English’s is lacking confidence in ruck contest. Concussion concerns maybe?
McNeil was solid today I can’t believe he is copping it. His energy and effort was there. He lacks polish but at least he bloody tried. A goal 5 tackles and 13 possessions wasn’t to bad. Poor bigger hasn’t had a run at it like gags and sanders gets. Which im ok with as they will gain a lot of confidence and belief. Something McNeil hasn’t been afforded.

Thur big issue with me is our ball movement and our ability to defend transition.
Im happy to see how we go over the next few weeks before any drastic action.
We are searching for consistent effort & performance.
Stay positive peeps stop
The player bashing. Poor look
Spot on. Not sure if all these armchair critics watch off the ball efforts of players like McNeill. There was one glaring issue in the first quarter when McNeill presented up the ground on the wing. He was in a good position and Bont ignored him. His five tackles are a better stat than a few others on the ground and he kicked a goal.

It was both mis-management and a missed opportunity and yesterday's opening bounce displayed that. I'm still not sure why Beveridge did that. Was it to get into Sweet's head? Huge backfire is it was.

To try to 'sneak' a quick, cheap early goal.

A good move that very nearly worked. (The ball just floated over English's head when Naughton gave away the early push in the back free kick).

It was perfectly reasonable to assume that Darcy would at least nullify Sweet and if we got it out of the centre English was 1-1 with someone significantly under sized.
(They had Zerk-Thatcher and Bergman on English and Astro).

Also, it definitely in no way "backfired".
We took a punt, it didn't pay off, we went back to Plan A and proceeded to get pants in the middle regardless.

Spot on. Not sure if all these armchair critics watch off the ball efforts of players like McNeill. There was one glaring issue in the first quarter when McNeill presented up the ground on the wing. He was in a good position and Bont ignored him. His five tackles are a better stat than a few others on the ground and he kicked a goal.
McNeil isn’t the reason we lost and he did kick a nice goal, but it’s a lot of things he does that don’t come up in the stats that annoy people. He fumbles constantly, over runs the ball etc. he’s just not AFL standard unfortunately.

I really don’t know what people see in Gallagah. Not quick, not a good ball user, doesn’t win his own footy, not a good defensive mid. Dont want to shoot down a kid, but why he’s somehow a lock in the 22 when he should be learning the game in the VFL is beyond me.

I can probably think of two games where he’s had a net positive impact on the team this year.

I really don’t know what people see in Gallagah. Not quick, not a good ball user, doesn’t win his own footy, not a good defensive mid. Dont want to shoot down a kid, but why he’s somehow a lock in the 22 when he should be learning the game in the VFL is beyond me.

I can probably think of two games where he’s had a net positive impact on the team this year.

He seems to definetly have speed. I think that’s why he has stayed in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umpiring? Conspiracy theories?

The lengths that posters will go to in order to excuse English (or other players) is mind-boggling.

Hes a bad ruck. He gets stats around the ground and sometimes that’s good. It convinces ex-players who don’t have a ****ing clue about the game that he’s worthy of an AA jumper. But anyone who watches footy knows he’s not good enough in big games because he can’t actually ruck. And while the whole team was down today, his first quarter was ****ing pathetic and set the tone. He reportedly wants big money and he’s nowhere near worthy of it.

I completely agree we need a tagger. But more importantly we need a coach that will deploy that tagger. We don’t have one now, which is one of the many reasons that he needs to go.
English fans forget how many games he let slip in short patches, often at the start of games, where he was just not competitive at all and sides blew us away. often he would play well outside of that and we even won some of those games.

after 5 ordinary years where Bevo played him far far too often, those patches were gradually decreasing in 2022/23 but have increased massively again in 24.

Also, you cant compare this to a midfielder or other position having bad or quiet patches, the ruckman starts the play, if the opposition taps it straight to their mid (see Sweet to Rozee Q1), or clears it themselves then the whole team is handicapped from there.

there is also the vibe/culture/confidence/ protection/leadership aspects that ruckman provide as the biggest guy and the initiators of play (see mummy, don scott, wynd, Dempsey, crackers et al). aggression is almost a prerequisate. not many Stanley, English, Josh fraser types have long careers

I said during the week to a couple mates that we seem to still be piss farting around with positioning and it’s round 17. We needed to do this in pre season / in the early rounds, not now.

Lobb was “too good” the week before, and so we move him to defence?

A strong club would just drop him for Darcy, end of story. Go with the best structure.

It’s very frustrating that we still don’t have a settled side like the top 5-6 clubs do.
Worth a like for using the term “piss farting”. 👍

Not enough Australian vernacular around here.

Piss poor effort.

We lose the midfield battle then we lose.

Was disappointed with ball movement from half back.

English needs to stop kicking it 10m sidewards after a mark.
Australian vernacular. 👍

Look no further than Briggs last night. Pretty much single handedly got GWS going in the second quarter with aggression and physical ruck work. TDK had his measure early and he completely turned it around. English wouldn't be capable of ever doing that.

Funnily enough a couple of years ago Briggs was about 3rd in line at the Giants and seemed extremely gettable.

Convinced this teams number one issue is the players are comfortable and we rely on talent over hard work and structures.

Seems to be too much patting on the back and not enough hard truths that players need to both help them improve and keep them on their toes.

It starts with our senior players especially the midfielders, the moment the ball leaves their immediate area they stop pressuring, don’t work back hard enough and when they do they run back with out purpose and don’t position themselves to make a difference rather that just make sure they are in the zone to tick a box. This is a continual issue.

JUH is becoming an issue with his lack of second effort, he gives up when he is at the back and doesn’t fight in a contest, plus he constantly leads back to goal when the kicker is already on their distance limit then spits the dummy that they didn’t kick it 70+ metres.

We need to get back to the basics of hard work and defence, there is so much talent in this team but unless they are willing to get their hands dirty we will continue to be a team of promise that crumbles once the pressure comes, because when the pressure comes in games that’s when the cracks in your system and mentality appear.

Look no further than Briggs last night. Pretty much single handedly got GWS going in the second quarter with aggression and physical ruck work. TDK had his measure early and he completely turned it around. English wouldn't be capable of ever doing that.

Funnily enough a couple of years ago Briggs was about 3rd in line at the Giants and seemed extremely gettable.

We were never going to get a second ruck to the club when they knew they would be behind Timmy whether he was playing well or badly. Most prospective rucks knew he had the keys and the monopoly on the position and Bev in his back pocket so they were not going to waste their time

See Sweet

English underperforms because he has a terrible ruck coach, or maybe he is not even coached as a ruck.
At some point it has to be him that’s responsible. He’s had Brendon Lade and Steven King as coaches as well as experienced rucks like Stef Martin, Campbell, Roughead and Trengove at the club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back