Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gutted. That's what I am. Tickets to tonight's game at the G and I have the flu (some may have noticed the effects of the medication in another thread)

Really wanted to assess the cut of Freijah's gib live but oh well.

Many learnings to be had from this section of the journey as we evolve.

We go onto this game with trepidation, but hopefully some of the things we have been trying to work on as part of our search for progress happens and we possibly have a few minutes during the game where we look like a competently coached team.

Richmond v Western Bulldogs

Saturday 11 May 7.30pm AEST
MCG, Yarra Park • Wurundjeri
Broadcast: Channel 7, Fox Footy/Kayo

B: Lachie Bramble, Liam Jones, Bailey Dale
HB: Taylor Duryea, Alex Keath, Jason Johannisen
C: Bailey Williams, Adam Treloar, Joel Freijah
HF: Laith Vandermeer, Aaron Naughton, Riley Garcia
F: James Harmes, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Rhylee West
FOLL: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Ed Richards
INT: James O’Donnell, Jack Macrae, Luke Cleary, Harvey Gallagher, Sam Darcy
EMG: Rory Lobb, Caleb Daniel, Arthur Jones

In: Joel Freijah, Luke Cleary, Alex Keath, Rhylee West
Out: Tom Liberatore (concussion), Oskar Baker (omitted), Buku Khamis (omitted), Charlie Clarke (omitted)

Which Doggies side will turn up?

Our best form this year would see us win this one easily. But we are one of the least reliable and most unpredictable sides in the competition.

Richmond are rebuilding and supposedly can't sustain a four quarter effort. On the other hand we go to water when persistent pressure is applied. We are good front runners (well ... often, but not always) but have rarely staged a come-from-behind win in recent memory. So if Richmond take an early lead and get a sniff we might not have what it takes to finish over the top of them.

Opposition analysts seem to have figured out how to get the better of Daniel and Khamis. That's why they are back in the twos. We have needed experience and steadiness in defence and Keath should bring that. Let's hope he keeps his distribution safe and simple, and doesn't try to overthink it.

West was sorely missed last week, especially with Weightman also out. So he's a welcome return. Jamarra should be better for the outing last week. The contract renewal is behind him now. Time to focus on the footy.

The one we'll miss badly this week is Libba - the CPs, the aggression and the leadership. Big job for Macrae to fill those boots (if that's where he plays) but it's also an opportunity to re-establish himself after his fall from favour.

There are many sub-plots in today's story.

Bevo is always in the news these days. He has handled the media storm pretty well this week but no doubt the cameras and the commentators will be onto him if it doesn't go well.

The debutant. Anything we get out of Freijah is a bonus. It's a big ask to have your debut in front of a feral Tigers mob at the G. Especially if they ask him to play wing when he has spent his whole season so far playing at half back.

One conundrum is the half back role. We need players who can defend, not just run. Will Richards go back? (unlikely) Will Cleary play there? (maybe, unless he is the sub) Or will Freijah start there? Or even Williams?

The other conundrum (related) is the wing position. Harmes seemed to go OK last week but might be needed for more of an inside role with Libba out indefinitely. We have tried lots of players there and have come back to Williams on the team sheet, partnered with debutant Freijah.

The forward structure. Will the KPFs be able to get out of each other's way?

The rucks. English will do well around the ground as he always does. But Nanks will try to push him around at the stoppages and block him at the CBs. Can English respond? First use will be vital.

Then there are a few players who are playing for their reputation and possibly their spot in the seniors - Johannisen, Macrae, Bramble, Garcia, Gallagher, O'Donnell. Maybe even Cleary who has never had a good string of games in the seniors in the past. I've left Vandermeer and Duryea out of that group because the MC seem to have a much higher opinion of them than many here do. They seem safe for now.

The key factors.

Whether we get up or not is once again going to depend a lot on Bontempelli. Close watchers say they detect a level of frustration in him in recent weeks. We're asking a lot of him - we always do - so in Libba's absence he's going to need plenty of help from the next tier of experienced players. Jones is the one constant but we'll need big performances out of Naughton, Richards, Dale, Macrae & English. Bont and Jones can't do it all on their own.

For Richmond, Bolton is always a danger to us. Balta and Prestia are back and IIRC Cumberland who returns to the side kicked a few on us last time. And there's always Dusty to contend with. They aren't strong but they won't be a pushover. Lefau for the Majak Medal.

The key is that we start well with pressure and confidence. Oh, and that we kick straight.

Out: Tom Liberatore (concussion), Oskar Baker (omitted), Buku Khamis (omitted), Charlie Clarke (omitted)

Our best form this year would see us win this one easily. But we are one of the least reliable and most unpredictable sides in the competition.

Richmond are rebuilding and supposedly can't sustain a four quarter effort. On the other hand we go to water when persistent pressure is applied. We are good front runners (well ... often, but not always) but have rarely staged a come-from-behind win in recent memory. So if Richmond take an early lead and get a sniff we might not have what it takes to finish over the top of them.

Opposition analysts seem to have figured out how to get the better of Daniel and Khamis. That's why they are back in the twos. We have needed experience and steadiness in defence and Keath should bring that. Let's hope he keeps his distribution safe and simple, and doesn't try to overthink it.

West was sorely missed last week, especially with Weightman also out. So he's a welcome return. Jamarra should be better for the outing last week. The contract renewal is behind him now. Time to focus on the footy.

The one we'll miss badly this week is Libba - the CPs, the aggression and the leadership. Big job for Macrae to fill those boots (if that's where he plays) but it's also an opportunity to re-establish himself after his fall from favour.

Bevo is always in the news these days. He has handled the media storm pretty well this week but no doubt the cameras and the commentators will be onto him if it doesn't go well.

The debutant. Anything we get out of Freijah is a bonus. It's a big ask to have your debut in front of a feral Tigers mob at the G. Especially if they ask him to play wing when he has spent his whole season so far playing at half back.

One conundrum is the half back role. We need players who can defend, not just run. Will Richards go back? (unlikely) Will Cleary play there? (maybe, unless he is the sub) Or will Freijah start there? Or even Williams?

The other conundrum (related) is the wing position. Harmes seemed to go OK last week but might be needed for more of an inside role with Libba out indefinitely. We have tried lots of players there and have come back to Williams on the team sheet, partnered with debutant Freijah.

The rucks. English will do well around the ground as he always does. But Nanks will try to push him around at the stoppages and block him at the CBs. Can English respond? First use will be vital.

Then there are a few players who are playing for their reputation and possibly their spot in the seniors - Johannisen, Macrae, Bramble, Garcia, Gallagher, O'Donnell. Maybe even Cleary who has never had a good string of games in the seniors in the past. I've left Vandermeer and Duryea out of that group because the MC seem to have a much higher opinion of them than many here do. They seem safe for now.

The key factors.

Whether we get up or not is once again going to depend a lot on Bontempelli. Close watchers say they detect a level of frustration in him in recent weeks. We're asking a lot of him - we always do - so in Libba's absence he's going to need plenty of help from the next tier of experienced players. Jones is the one constant but we'll need big performances out of Naughton, Richards, Dale, Macrae & English. Bont and Jones can't do it all on their own.

For Richmond, Bolton is always a danger to us. Balta and Prestia are back and IIRC Cumberland who returns to the side kicked a few on us last time. And there's always Dusty to contend with. They aren't strong but they won't be a pushover. Lefau for the Majak Medal.

The key is that we start well with pressure and confidence. Oh, and that we kick straight.
Apart from last week I've been suprised with how well Duryea has performed.

Thanks

The key factors.

Thanks for rescuing what is probably the worst OP in a gameday thread ... ever.

On tv here in Canberra. I’ll tune in. Having an early stout to prepare myself. Just has to be a response tonight, surely.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
On tv here in Canberra. I’ll tune in. Having an early stout to prepare myself. Just has to be a response tonight, surely.
Me too. A Guiness sounds like a good idea on a cold rainy day!

If the Tigers play with passion and aggression similar to the Hawks last week they're a chance to knock us over. There's something not quite right with our team (no need to elaborate on that) and we look very vulnerable. A win gives us hope of better things to come, a loss puts us firmly in the frame for bottom four.

Me too. A Guiness sounds like a good idea on a cold rainy day!

Yep, we’ve entered dark ale season. I’m having an oatmeal stout from Dangerous Ales in Milton. The only one at Plonk today that wasn’t 6% for gods sake.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just one simple request for all those drinking tonight - can you please promise to continue posting in this game thread?

It could be more interesting than the game itself. Cheers

Just one simple request for all those drinking tonight - can you please promise to continue posting in this game thread?

It could be more interesting than the game itself. Cheers

Ha! I’m generally a one beer guy these days but I can still post rubbish with the best of them sober!

I haven't got tickets but going to the game with my wonderful Tiger wife 110 $ for tickets that equals a bottle of Japanese scotch Oh well :)

Kinda hate these no win games.

A win is just expected and meaningless.

A loss is an embarrassment.

The only way it's ok is by wining this convincingly and then beating GWS next week.
I'm certainly hoping to wine it convincingly tonight. (Or maybe I'll be stouting it convincingly.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back