Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Some familiar names there. Kalani White (son of Jeff), Zeke Uwland (brother of Bodhi) and Zac Eckersley (brother of Jared).

Flynn Babic possibly another.

Might be related to Frane Babic.

3 of them father sons for other clubs lol
Yup. Such is the drawcard of the Gold Coast for retired AFL players and that tweet doesn't including Boston Everitt who is also F/S eligible for the Saints.

Once we start playing finals I think a lot of these kids will elect to stay with us like Nick Blakey did with the Swans instead of moving interstate like Bailey Scott did (he made a huge mistake joining North).

Yup. Such is the drawcard of the Gold Coast for retired AFL players and that tweet doesn't including Boston Everitt who is also F/S eligible for the Saints.

Once we start playing finals I think a lot of these kids will elect to stay with us like Nick Blakey did with the Swans instead of moving interstate like Bailey Scott did (he made a huge mistake joining North).
No they wont. Blakey stayed at Sydney cause his dad was at the club. The kids will go to the F/S teams like they always do.

No they wont. Blakey stayed at Sydney cause his dad was at the club. The kids will go to the F/S teams like they always do.
If the Suns are seen as as good a chance of success as other clubs some will stay.

If nothing else it improves the standard of the academy, which is a good thing.

I wouldn't be so sure. Take Boston Everitt with St Kilda for example. If we're a top 4 team in 2024 and St Kilda are languishing towards the bottom of the ladder then I wouldn't be surprised to see Boston elect to join us as an academy pick instead of F/S for St Kilda.

In a lot of ways we just saw this with Will Ashcroft who could have elected to turn down the F/S option and would have ended up at North Melbourne. Instead he elects to be taken as a F/S pick for a regular finals participant in Brisbane.

Could be two to keep an eye. Both were just selected to play for the Flying Boomerangs side and are a part of the AFL Cape Yorke program in Cairns. Mosby is a Torres Strait Islander from Darnley Island and is roughly 370km from Port Moresby in PNG. George is from Rossvile in the Cook region of Queensland near the northern tip of the state.

Rushon George in particular is probably the one to watch as he was selected to represent the U16s Flying Boomerangs and just 14 years of age. I assume both are already a part of our academy or will be very soon.

Must be living mostly in cairns.

Darnley island is a long way away, Far East of Torres Strait islands.

It would be quite expensive and take a full day to go Darnley > horn island > cairns.

Are people aware that the current AA U18 & U16 CHFs are both members of our academy? Jed Walter (Palm Beach Currumbin) and Caleb Nancarrow (Cairns City). That means it's completely conceivable that the best key forwards in the land for the 2023 and 2024 draft classes will be playing for our academy teams and draft eligible for us. I'm starting to wonder how we'll fit them all in the same forward line...

Can’t imagine Caleb will be playing 3-4 games of NAB league with the Academy per year if he is playing for Oakleigh. Surely he would stay in Vic and play the full season with the Chargers?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t imagine Caleb will be playing 3-4 games of NAB league with the Academy per year if he is playing for Oakleigh. Surely he would stay in Vic and play the full season with the Chargers?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He came up and played this year so can only hope the same would happen in 2023. He got on really well with the other kids so that's also positive.

He did it this year. Played in the U16 nationals for our academy while also boarding at and playing for Scotch in the APS competition. I believe Jye Lockett also did it last year when played for GWV and St Pats as well as our academy/the Allies. Of course this is all under the assumption that Caleb gets selected to play for our academy/the Allies as a bottom ager. A tall forward combination of Walter and Nancarrow should be very difficult to stop!

He came up and played this year so can only hope the same would happen in 2023. He got on really well with the other kids so that's also positive.
That definitely helps. This is a pretty unique situation where one of our academy products is boarding in Melbourne but it's on us to make sure he wants to be a part of our club going forward. I think Caleb was offered the same indigenous scholarship that saw Cyril Rioli board at Scotch but it's very uncommon for a Queenslander to receive such an opportunity. We just have to hope he follows in the footsteps of Will Ashcroft and turns his back on any offers from down south to commit to us.

Fantastic to see five Gold Coast locals making the 2023 AFL Academy teams! Some school programs probably deserve some credit here:

AFL Excellence Program - Palm Beach Currumbin State High School
Jed Walter
Ethan Read

ASPIRE AFL Program - Varsity College
Jake Rogers
Sienna McMullen

AFL Excellence Program - Southport State High School
Darcie Davies

The more GC schools we can have establishing footy excellence programs, the better. It's clearly working.

What a family.
(DARCIE) “She’s really athletic, a tall ruckman and comes from good family heritage in AFLW given her sisters’ impact at the elite level,” Lockyer said.

“Over the last couple of years she (has proven to be) athletically really gifted. She has really good size and is quite quick and powerful.

“She’s certainly a player who we’ve got high expectation of. Because of her two sisters playing AFLW she’s got a pretty good knowledge of the expectations as well.”
37fe3f25bd55b2c4328e331ff51c07eb

AFLW sisters on the Gold Coast Suns list for the AFL feature spread. Darren Davies with his girls Georja, Fleur, Darcie and Giselle

Ethan Read
“(But Read is) a developing tall and he’s really athletic. He shows a tremendous amount of potential and can play anywhere really — ruck, forward and back — so certainly he’s someone we’ll be keen to develop.”
Jake Rogers
“His speed and his ability to win the football and make great decisions was a stand out. He’s certainly a player with great promise ... (and) is certainly eye catching with that speed.”
Sienna McMullen
“She’s certainly someone who can take the game on, she breaks the line with her running capacity and is very dangerousm,” Lockyer said.

“Certainly in a football sense she has had incredibly strong performances over the last couple of years. She has really good speed, kicks the ball exceptionally well and is once again a tremendous athlete.”

What a family.

37fe3f25bd55b2c4328e331ff51c07eb

AFLW sisters on the Gold Coast Suns list for the AFL feature spread. Darren Davies with his girls Georja, Fleur, Darcie and Giselle

Also worth mentioning that their father Darren was a professional athlete himself. He was a professional rugby union player from Wales who moved here to play for the old Gold Coast Breakers team in the QRU competition if anyone remembers that team. The Breakers merged with Bond University around about 10 years ago and we know Giselle played her junior footy at Bond so that's a cool little connection the father-son duo have.

Astounding to think all four Davies girls could end up in the AFLW. Hopefully Fleur Davies makes her way back to us this off season after playing for GWS this year.

Jake Rogers sounds very exciting. He's been referred to as a Dayne Zorko clone (without the off field drama) and I think we can all agree that drafting a player like that would be really helpful for us after Rankine's departure. I'm sure he'll start in our forward line but after seeing him play in the All Stars game back in September, I really think Rogers eventually becomes a solid mid with genuine speed.

Read should be a natural replacement for Witts in terms of our ruck depth. He's 17 and Wittsy is 30 so by the time Read is ready around 21/22, Witts will be 34/35 and likely done with AFL footy and Moyle will pick up the slack in between.

Also worth mentioning that their father Darren was a professional athlete himself. He was a professional rugby union player from Wales who moved here to play for the old Gold Coast Breakers team in the QRU competition if anyone remembers that team. The Breakers merged with Bond University around about 10 years ago and we know Giselle played her junior footy at Bond so that's a cool little connection the father-son duo have.

Astounding to think all four Davies girls could end up in the AFLW. Hopefully Fleur Davies makes her way back to us this off season after playing for GWS this year.
Fleur may not be up to it yet. Played no games this year. Happy for her to continue development at GWS. I am more intrigued by Georja. If I remember correctly, she looks like a real talent. Draft eligible 2024?

Think he and the NT other kid are given with Little the only local with a shot, saw in the gc bulletin there is some interesting in Max Pescud but not sure the Suns would take him after hr basically stuck it up them in the final.

Think he and the NT other kid are given with Little the only local with a shot, saw in the gc bulletin there is some interesting in Max Pescud but not sure the Suns would take him after hr basically stuck it up them in the final.
Haha. Because he celebrated after kicking a goal? If the club doesn’t pick someone up for that reason they should have a good hard look at themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back