Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

awesome, so we have a massive volume of land were NO ONE LIVES

It's interesting. It was felt when the initial carve-up was done that the Suns kinda got the better deal, considering the Coast has historically been the premier spot for AFL talent in Queensland.

Doesn't seem to be playing out that way in reality, albeit it's been a pretty small sample size so far. Maybe the worm will naturally turn.

It's interesting. It was felt when the initial carve-up was done that the Suns kinda got the better deal, considering the Coast has historically been the premier spot for AFL talent in Queensland.

Doesn't seem to be playing out that way in reality, albeit it's been a pretty small sample size so far. Maybe the worm will naturally turn.

The Lions might have just done a better job with the academy and with developing and engaging young players, seeing that as the good way to upgrade their list given the two drafts of 2010 and 2011 were massively compromised by the Suns and GWS concessions.

The Suns had a massive injection of young players and getting more through the academy was probably down the list of priorities. A few coming through now and Malceski is working part time coaching the academy kids so some extra resources coming through.

I had a look at Hipwood yesterday for the 1st time. Big tick. Harris Andrews clone.
Keays? Need to kick better, a lot better. But covers the ground well.
Here's hoping you can't fit them all in!

The Lions might have just done a better job with the academy and with developing and engaging young players, seeing that as the good way to upgrade their list given the two drafts of 2010 and 2011 were massively compromised by the Suns and GWS concessions.

The Suns had a massive injection of young players and getting more through the academy was probably down the list of priorities. A few coming through now and Malceski is working part time coaching the academy kids so some extra resources coming through.

I had a look at Hipwood yesterday for the 1st time. Big tick. Harris Andrews clone.
Keays? Need to kick better, a lot better. But covers the ground well.
Here's hoping you can't fit them all in!

Keays hadn't played in four weeks and just came back from a foot injury on his preferred foot so you could probably forgive him for being a little rusty. In saying that kicking isn't really his strong point at this point of time regardless.

I think Hipwood can play forward a little better than Harris, but you're right, he's a star and ive pretty much been watching him since the first Lions Suns academy trial game at Coffs and his improvement has been scary to watch. Once he tests I anticipate his draft stock will climb even higher.

What are your guys thoughts on Budarick? Worth a rookie spot surely?

Keays hadn't played in four weeks and just came back from a foot injury on his preferred foot so you could probably forgive him for being a little rusty. In saying that kicking isn't really his strong point at this point of time regardless.

I think Hipwood can play forward a little better than Harris, but you're right, he's a star and ive pretty much been watching him since the first Lions Suns academy trial game at Coffs and his improvement has been scary to watch. Once he tests I anticipate his draft stock will climb even higher.

Yeah a rookie spot at best I'd say.

I'm putting my neck out and say Budarick wont be drafted , could be wrong though . The more i see of Spencer the more i think he could be drafted.

Can they get Budarick as a Category B rookie?
I think (think?) that means they won't list him prior to the draft, taking a chance that no-one else drafts him to their primary list, and if not then the Suns can pre-select him as a category B rookie.

I think that Jarrad Ellis is the only academy rookie at the moment so they would have the space for a Cat.B and the incentive (a pathway from academy to an AFL list).

He was very very good in the 1st quarter then faded as the game went on.

Marsden would be in the AFL Academy too if he wasn't injured this year. I just hope that next year we have enough good picks to pick Scheer, Bowes and Marsden, as being in the academy would suggest that all of them are at least somewhere around the top 30 range.

I think Budarick will get pre-selected as a category b rookie if he is overlooked in the national draft. Although I highly doubt it would be the case, if there's a spot left on the senior near the end of the national draft he could get senior listed.

I really hope we get all 4 players I mentioned at some point, as we need as much local talent we can get as well as spread the age of our list.

If we delist enough players or trade them away, Budarick could be drafted in the national draft to the senior list.

Let's be honest, if Josh Hall can make it to the senior list anybody can.

Let's be honest, if Josh Hall can make it to the senior list anybody can.
pFrkRSE.jpg

Marsden would be in the AFL Academy too if he wasn't injured this year. I just hope that next year we have enough good picks to pick Scheer, Bowes and Marsden, as being in the academy would suggest that all of them are at least somewhere around the top 30 range.

I think Budarick will get pre-selected as a category b rookie if he is overlooked in the national draft. Although I highly doubt it would be the case, if there's a spot left on the senior near the end of the national draft he could get senior listed.

I really hope we get all 4 players I mentioned at some point, as we need as much local talent we can get as well as spread the age of our list.
Not sure where you got that Marsden has been injured from ??? (Scheer & Bowes definitely have been)
He's been available for all Queensland games and also NEAFL matches for the Suns when required .
Unfortunately he didn't make the Queensland team for the Championship games in Melbourne and this may have counted against him at National Academy selection.
I doubt he is anywhere near a top 30 pick next year .
But a positive - he has next year to again press his claims.

Not sure where you got that Marsden has been injured from ??? (Scheer & Bowes definitely have been)
He's been available for all Queensland games and also NEAFL matches for the Suns when required .
Unfortunately he didn't make the Queensland team for the Championship games in Melbourne and this may have counted against him at National Academy selection.
I doubt he is anywhere near a top 30 pick next year .
But a positive - he has next year to again press his claims.

Looking at the games he's played, he's played 6 NEAFL, 1 championship and 3 TAC Cup. Thought there might've been a reason as to why he isn't being selected to play in the senior team and not playing that well. Did he have a full pre-season? The reason I said he would be around top 30, is because he was in the NAB AFL Academy this year, who are pretty much the top 30 draft prospects. Given he has been cut, I don't think he would fall that far down. And well hopefully he turns it around next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marsden has fallen of the radar a bit , his NEAFL games that i have seen him play have'nt been groundbreaking by any means , but as others have said he has time on his side.

Watched majority of Marsdens games this year think he is in second gear at the moment if he lifts it up a notch next year top thirty potential draft pick, no doubt.

Last edited:
Watched majority of Marsdens games this year think he is in second gear at the moment if he lifts it up a notch next year top thirty potential draft pick, no doubt.
If he remains in second gear, what would you say he'd go at in the draft, if at all?

Remove this Banner Ad

Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back