Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty good endorsement of Walter from McVeigh, I would say :)
“Jed is clearly an exciting talent,” McVeigh said.
“I don’t like putting a number on it but he is a top five (draft pick) in my mind.
“Clearly teams will be out there saying ‘Gee I’d love to get him and bid’ because he can lead the way for a long period of time but the Suns won’t let that happen.”
“Let’s be honest, he is right to go and play AFL footy. He is physically capable there is no doubt about it. He is a relaxed character but I think this time next year he will be playing senior AFL footy quite regularly.
“He has the right body type and his attitude stands out for me. We can talk about Jed’s marking but for me it’s his competitiveness and his want to tackle, pressure and crash a pack.
“Sometimes it takes time but this kid already has it which is quite unique. He is like Charlie Dixon from Port. The ability to hit packs is natural to his game.”

And Dew and system too
McVeigh said the 195cm forward would thrive under the tutelage of Suns head coach Stuart Dew, assistant Brad Miller and praised Gold Coast’s Academy program for the number of talented players it is developing.
Gold Coast already has generational talent in King who is currently backed up by the likes of Levi Casboult, 33, Mabior Chol, 26, and Sam Day, 30, but could spend the next decade lighting up the AFL next to Walter and fellow young gun Jack Lukosius, 22.
“I love the way Stuart Dew has the team playing and their system. They are going in the right direction and someone like Jed could slot into that team nicely,” McVeigh said.
“The Suns have done an incredible job with the Academy,
along with Allies managers Mark Browning and Darren Denneman.”

McVeigh on Read
ETHAN READ (Allies): 18 disposals, 10 hit-outs, six contested, four score involvements.
A talent who not only competes in the ruck but his ground coverage is incredible. He has the ability to run hard and not only provide the Allies with an option down the line but Read can o forward and catch the ball because of his massive work rate. Such is Read’s engine McVeigh has flirted with the idea of playing him on the wing, across centre-half back or forward.

Rogers
JAKE ROGERS (Allies): 20 disposals, seven contested, three clearances.
Rogers captained the Allies in its win over South Australia and did an exceptional job in the role. He came into the Championships in good form and has shown how strong of a leader he is. A humble player who is not in a rush to get anywhere and has the desire to work hard on his craft. He has a great ability to work in tight situations and make a decision by hand or foot. If footy was played in a phone box he would dominate. He is a brilliant young player with good speed. The forwards’ eyes would light up when they see him get the ball because he can hit a target, along with one that no one sees.

GC2015.

You can’t claim Holman as he was originally picked up by Carlton in 2013.
Recycled player. Considerably better now than he was when he left Carlton. Therefore the majority of his development occurred with us.

Not sure what it’s like overall these days but back in the 80’s at school, whenever we had those inter-school sports days and carnivals, the Gold Coast teams and athletes in all sports used to regularly smash their Brisbane counterparts. I remember playing a footy match between PBC SHS and Macgregor SHS where Macgregor had a very good side with a few state reps (and even one who made it to the AFL) but PBC absolutely smashed them. I think the climate and beaches here really assist in getting kids outdoors and active, helping to produce lots of great sports people. We were always outside either playing sports or going to the beach surfing, swimming etc. Other places don’t always offer that.
It really depends on what sport you're referring to. In Aussie rules you'll find PBC and Helensvale are still the strongest schools in the state but if you looked at a sport like rugby union then you'd find at least one of the Brisbane GPS schools would beat our best school (TSS) most years. Basketball and cricket would be similar. State level rugby league used to be dominated by PBC and Keebra but it seems the Logan schools have caught up and often give the GC teams a run for their money these days. Surfing would be an easy win for the GC but the point is it really just depends on the sport you look at these days.

I definitely agree that the outdoors environment/lifestyle on the Gold Coast is more conducive to producing high level athletes than the lifestyle in Brisbane.

Jed is not more highly rated than Roo was, what a ridiculous claim.
First of all, I didn't make that claim. I just asked the question. Secondly, comparing the junior career of a former pick 1 key forward to a potential future pick 2 key forward is not a ridiculous topic to ponder. Each draft class is weighted differently in terms of its strength and the way people are talking about Harley Reid leads me to believe that Walter would be a slam dunk number 1 pick if he was coming through in a weaker draft class. Was Nick Riewoldt named the AA CHF/FF in his bottom age season? I don't think he was but that's something Walter achieved last year and he's gone from strength to strength ever since.

Now if you were to say it's ridiculous to claim Walter will have an AFL career that's equal or better than Riewoldt's then I'd agree that it's a ridiculous claim to make right now because Riewoldt became a genuine superstar of the sport and it's pretty unlikely he'll reach that level. I would say the same thing about last year's number 1 pick Aaron Cadman. That's how good Riewoldt was in his AFL career, but that wasn't the question that was posed. I simply asked whether Jed Walter right now is equal or better than Nick Riewoldt was when he was 17.

Recycled player. Considerably better now than he was when he left Carlton. Therefore the majority of his development occurred with us.

It really depends on what sport you're referring to. In Aussie rules you'll find PBC and Helensvale are still the strongest schools in the state but if you looked at a sport like rugby union then you'd find at least one of the Brisbane GPS schools would beat our best school (TSS) most years. Basketball and cricket would be similar. State level rugby league used to be dominated by PBC and Keebra but it seems the Logan schools have caught up and often give the GC teams a run for their money these days. Surfing would be an easy win for the GC but the point is it really just depends on the sport you look at these days.

I definitely agree that the outdoors environment/lifestyle on the Gold Coast is more conducive to producing high level athletes than the lifestyle in Brisbane.

First of all, I didn't make that claim. I just asked the question. Secondly, comparing the junior career of a former pick 1 key forward to a potential future pick 2 key forward is not a ridiculous topic to ponder. Each draft class is weighted differently in terms of its strength and the way people are talking about Harley Reid leads me to believe that Walter would be a slam dunk number 1 pick if he was coming through in a weaker draft class. Was Nick Riewoldt named the AA CHF/FF in his bottom age season? I don't think he was but that's something Walter achieved last year and he's gone from strength to strength ever since.

Now if you were to say it's ridiculous to claim Walter will have an AFL career that's equal or better than Riewoldt's then I'd agree that it's a ridiculous claim to make right now because Riewoldt became a genuine superstar of the sport and it's pretty unlikely he'll reach that level. I would say the same thing about last year's number 1 pick Aaron Cadman. That's how good Riewoldt was in his AFL career, but that wasn't the question that was posed. I simply asked whether Jed Walter right now is equal or better than Nick Riewoldt was when he was 17.
No Jed is not better than Riewoldt was at 17. That 2000 draft was pretty good, Riewoldt was comfortably the best player at the time of the draft and still is to this day.

I remember my old man had a mate who was connected to the state team when Roo was there and apparently he was played as a wingman such was his mobility and running power even as a junior.

Maybe we could trade out our first then once walter and one other have been bid on we live trade back in to use a pick on the remaining player. Not sure if its in the rules but they may need to get creative.
So let's assume for argument's sake that we finish 8th and this rule does come into play for us. That would mean our natural first round selection would be pick 11. So what we can do is something similar to what the Swans did a few years back when they knew an early bid was coming through for Blakey and they traded their first pick (26) to West Coast for a future third round pick, then the Blakey bid was matched using three third round picks and then finally West Coast traded pick 24 back to Sydney for a future second round pick. So the Swans essentially asked West Coast to mind their first pick until after the Blakey bid came through before sending it back and the Eagles upgraded their future third round pick to a future second round pick for their troubles. Such is the possibilities available with live trading on draft night.

We can do the same thing in order to secure Walter, Read and Rogers. Before the Walter bid comes through we trade our pick 11 to a team that's willing to mind it for a few picks and then after the Walter bid is matched we get pick 11 back by sending an upgraded future pick to the team that helped us out. Then we use our pick 11 to draft Read so he's not bid on. Then we match the bid that comes through for Rogers. That's two matching bids and one player drafted with our natural first round pick.

Bang. We play finals and get to keep our three academy stars.

No Jed is not better than Riewoldt was at 17. That 2000 draft was pretty good, Riewoldt was comfortably the best player at the time of the draft and still is to this day.
Was it? I know Koschitzke had some good moments but I don't know if he lived up to the hype of a pick 2. Didak was pretty good for a pick 3 but from there onward the top 10 wasn't exactly full of superstars - Luke Livingstone, Andrew McDougall, Dylan Smith, Lawrence Angwin, Daniel Motlop, Kayne Pettifer, Jordan McMahon. Doesn't exactly scream super draft to me.

I remember my old man had a mate who was connected to the state team when Roo was there and apparently he was played as a wingman such was his mobility and running power even as a junior.
I know Riewoldt always had a huge tank. I'd even argue he was the main reason key forwards had to change the way they played and they were all forced to increase their running capacity. Having a key forward that could run all day became such an effective weapon that within a few years of Riewoldt starting his career he was named the league MVP and the stay-at-home power forward days numbered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So let's assume for argument's sake that we finish 8th and this rule does come into play for us. That would mean our natural first round selection would be pick 11. So what we can do is something similar to what the Swans did a few years back when they knew an early bid was coming through for Blakey and they traded their first pick (26) to West Coast for a future third round pick, then the Blakey bid was matched using three third round picks and then finally West Coast traded pick 24 back to Sydney for a future second round pick. So the Swans essentially asked West Coast to mind their first pick until after the Blakey bid came through before sending it back and the Eagles upgraded their future third round pick to a future second round pick for their troubles. Such is the possibilities available with live trading on draft night.

We can do the same thing in order to secure Walter, Read and Rogers. Before the Walter bid comes through we trade our pick 11 to a team that's willing to mind it for a few picks and then after the Walter bid is matched we get pick 11 back by sending an upgraded future pick to the team that helped us out. Then we use our pick 11 to draft Read so he's not bid on. Then we match the bid that comes through for Rogers. That's two matching bids and one player drafted with our natural first round pick.

Was it? I know Koschitzke had some good moments but I don't know if he lived up to the hype of a pick 2. Didak was pretty good for a pick 3 but from there onward the top 10 wasn't exactly full of superstars - Luke Livingstone, Andrew McDougall, Dylan Smith, Lawrence Angwin, Daniel Motlop, Kayne Pettifer, Jordan McMahon. Doesn't exactly scream super draft to me.

I know Riewoldt always had a huge tank. I'd even argue he was the main reason key forwards had to change the way they played and they were all forced to increase their running capacity. Having a key forward that could run all day became such an effective weapon that within a few years of Riewoldt starting his career he was named the league MVP and the stay-at-home power forward days numbered.
Daniel Kerr, Shaun Burgoyne, Kane Cornes, Scott Thompson, Drew Petrie, Darren Jolly all from the 2000 draft. Not saying it was a super draft, just that it wasn't terrible.
Walter is a jet but he isn't the same level Riewoldt was as a top age U18 player. Just a tier behind, nothing wrong with that.

Bang! We play finals and get to keep our three academy stars!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Gulden slide because of his height. Read is a 200cm athletic freak. He has top 10 reach all over him. I bet everything I have he doesn't slide to the second round.
Read was soundly beaten by Goad (the SA ruck) on the weekend, and I expect the WA ruck will beat Read as well this weekend.

I can see Read slide in the draft, maybe to a late first round pick. Believe at AFL level he'll relocate to become a KPD.

Read was soundly beaten by Goad (the SA ruck) on the weekend, and I expect the WA ruck will beat Read as well this weekend.

I can see Read slide in the draft, maybe to a late first round pick. Believe at AFL level he'll relocate to become a KPD.
Where do see Rogers? Read looks a natural CHB

Ethan Read​

Allies/Gold Coast Suns academy, ruck/forward, 202cm, 87kg
Read is roaring up the draft order, in large part because of his running capacity and follow-up work, which reminds some recruiters of premiership Demon, and now Docker, Luke Jackson.

His ruckwork is still coming along, but he is showing he can be effective as a forward as well. Talent scouts believe Gold Coast will pay a high price for him, somewhere around the top 10.

Lockyer’s take: “He competes well in the ruck and the air, but his ability to run up and down the ground is what sets him apart from the other talls. He’s the one with the tank.”

Jake Rogers

Allies/Gold Coast Suns academy, mid, 172cm, 68kg
Too small, you say? Recruiters don’t think so. They pointed to Lachie Neale and Brent Harvey, while another believes he has a bit of Touk Miller about him.
There is an acceptance that he will spend time as a forward at AFL level, on top of his midfield minutes. However, opinions differed on whether he would attract a top-10 bid. Rogers ticks many boxes: professional, great kid, consistently strong performer, and a team-first attitude.

Lockyer’s take: “His appetite to work, compete, tackle, and chase is excellent, and when he does get his hands on the ball – he’s clean and exciting. He’s developing really well, and particularly his last few weeks have been terrific. He just keeps turning up at the contest, which is a coach’s dream.”

Jed Walter

Allies/Gold Coast Suns academy, key forward, 197cm, 91kg
The widely held belief is he would be the second or third player off the board – behind Reid – if he was not attached to Gold Coast. He might still be if he maintains his red-hot form from the championships’ opener, where he won 17 disposals, had eight scoring shots, and took nine marks.

Walter’s physicality and competitiveness are highly regarded, but his defensive abilities for a key forward also earned rave reviews.

Lockyer’s take: “His power and acceleration in offence and defence are excellent. We saw his willingness to compete in the air for the Allies at the weekend. It doesn’t matter what is in front of him – if the ball is anywhere near him, he will launch at it.”

AFL prospect Jed Walter has been labelled a top five draft chance who can crash packs the way foundation Sun Charlie Dixon did while forming a lethal long-term partnership with Ben King for Gold Coast.
The highly touted key forward added to his burgeoning reputation as one of the country’s premier talents by booting 3.5 as part of 11 score involvements and took 10 marks, including four contested for the Allies in their 12.12 (84) to 11.2 (68) win over South Australia in Round 1 of the Under-18 AFL Championships on Sunday.

Allies coach Mark McVeigh predicted the Suns Academy player would be playing in the AFL by this time next year and likened him to Dixon, who featured prominently at the Suns before becoming Port Adelaide’s main strike weapon.

“Jed is clearly an exciting talent,” McVeigh said.

“I don’t like putting a number on it but he is a top five (draft pick) in my mind.

“Clearly teams will be out there saying ‘Gee I’d love to get him and bid’ because he can lead the way for a long period of time but the Suns won’t let that happen.”

“Let’s be honest, he is right to go and play AFL footy. He is physically capable there is no doubt about it. He is a relaxed character but I think this time next year he will be playing senior AFL footy quite regularly.

“He has the right body type and his attitude stands out for me. We can talk about Jed’s marking but for me it’s his competitiveness and his want to tackle, pressure and crash a pack.

“Sometimes it takes time but this kid already has it which is quite unique. He is like Charlie Dixon from Port. The ability to hit packs is natural to his game.”

McVeigh said the 195cm forward would thrive under the tutelage of Suns head coach Stuart Dew, assistant Brad Miller and praised Gold Coast’s Academy program for the number of talented players it is developing.

Gold Coast already has generational talent in King who is currently backed up by the likes of Levi Casboult, 33, Mabior Chol, 26, and Sam Day, 30, but could spend the next decade lighting up the AFL next to Walter and fellow young gun Jack Lukosius, 22.

“I love the way Stuart Dew has the team playing and their system. They are going in the right direction and someone like Jed could slot into that team nicely,” McVeigh said.

“The Suns have done an incredible job with the Academy, along with Allies managers Mark Browning and Darren Denneman.”

WILL GRAHAM (Allies): 21 disposals, six contested, seven marks.

A Suns Academy player who continues to make a name for himself across the country. Graham excelled while playing out of the Allies backline against South Australia and led the charge from defence.

ETHAN READ (Allies): 18 disposals, 10 hit-outs, six contested, four score involvements.

A talent who not only competes in the ruck but his ground coverage is incredible. He has the ability to run hard and not only provide the Allies with an option down the line but Read can o forward and catch the ball because of his massive work rate. Such is Read’s engine McVeigh has flirted with the idea of playing him on the wing, across centre-half back or forward.

JAKE ROGERS (Allies): 20 disposals, seven contested, three clearances.

Rogers captained the Allies in its win over South Australia and did an exceptional job in the role. He came into the Championships in good form and has shown how strong of a leader he is. A humble player who is not in a rush to get anywhere and has the desire to work hard on his craft. He has a great ability to work in tight situations and make a decision by hand or foot. If footy was played in a phone box he would dominate. He is a brilliant young player with good speed. The forwards’ eyes would light up when they see him get the ball because he can hit a target, along with one that no one sees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back