Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe Marsden given he's smaller and hasn't got amazing disposal but Charlesworth is too much of a prototype to last. We have to fit all these guys. They are home grown genuine talents and we don't know how long the academy gravy train will last. Make hay while the sun shines as they say.

I could easily make room for these four

For sure but I doubt there will be given the 20% discount. We'll be able to spend some picks on other guys. Hoping we get one of them as a rookie then draft 3 academy players in the ND as well as one really solid open draft candidate. I'd love Josh Battle, Jarrod Berry or Josh Rotham.

It's a shame Brooksby is taking up a senior spot because it might really come back to bite us if there's another academy boy worth taking in the ND other than Brad/Jack.

Brayden Crossley also had 17 disposals, 5 marks, 23 hitouts and kicked 1.1 in the TAC cup.

Nate Dennis who is his competition for the main ruck role (and draft eligible) had 17 disposals, 4 marks and 21 hitouts while also kicking 1.1

I'm all for home grown talent.. But if there's better talent available at our picks.. Sorry.
We're here to win football matches not to make friends and support 'Maybe' AFL standered QLD footballers
True but it's more about picking these players up for 'unders' if you can with the discount. The Swans got Heeney at 4 yet really had selection 18. They picked up Mills early despite having pick 14 or so. Build your list up and get one of these a year and you'll never bottom out.

True but it's more about picking these players up for 'unders' if you can with the discount. The Swans got Heeney at 4 yet really had selection 18. They picked up Mills early despite having pick 14 or so. Build your list up and get one of these a year and you'll never bottom out.

Well yeah.. But they were top 5 talent..
Of cause you'd take them.
We don't exactly have any Star OMG talent..
Just a couple of kids who should make the AFL grade.
Gets harder to pick up academy players if there ranked about 30plus.
When there's still so much other talent available.
You might pick someone on a needs basis.. A key back
From W.A
Rather then your 175cm academy midfielder etc.

From W.A
Fair points. This time last year no one had Clayton Oliver in the top 30. Same with Bontempelli in his draft. That kid at 189 cms who played midfield against Nothern last week, clean hands, tackling machine, wins his own ball is the prototype midfielder that scouts drool over. Who knows, I think Bowes & Scheer will still go high and be value for us.

From W.A

You should watch Bowes play. Seriously underrating him.

Brayden Crossley also had 17 disposals, 5 marks, 23 hitouts and kicked 1.1 in the TAC cup.

Nate Dennis who is his competition for the main ruck role (and draft eligible) had 17 disposals, 4 marks and 21 hitouts while also kicking 1.1
Factor in Crossley is an underager (17) and Dennis is an overager (19) - makes his performance even better. These will be Qlds two main ruckman this Championship. Very rare to have an underage ruckman .....some potential for our 2017 draft.

Fair points. This time last year no one had Clayton Oliver in the top 30. Same with Bontempelli in his draft. That kid at 189 cms who played midfield against Nothern last week, clean hands, tackling machine, wins his own ball is the prototype midfielder that scouts drool over. Who knows, I think Bowes & Scheer will still go high and be value for us.

You should watch Bowes play. Seriously underrating him.

I know both Bowes and Scheer can both play really good football and both have been talked up at one stage in there career or another.
But I'm meaning.. No one is talking them up like everyone was Martin or O'Meara or Heeny or Mills.

Both those guys are a given to get to The Suns will be very good get for the Suns with the 20% discount.. Even better get.

I'm more saying it's going to be hard to make calls on the other academy players in Marsden Charlsworth and Dennis. When there'll be so much other talent left on the board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesus. Why did I just go with whatever I read above lol I new I should of checked facts.

I give in.
For now
Not haviing a go- we were just pointing out that Suns might have a good prospect in Crossley at next draft .....
Agree entirely with what you are saying regards emerging Academy players eligible for this draft..

I know both Bowes and Scheer can both play really good football and both have been talked up at one stage in there career or another.
But I'm meaning.. No one is talking them up like everyone was Martin or O'Meara or Heeny or Mills.

Both those guys are a given to get to The Suns will be very good get for the Suns with the 20% discount.. Even better get.

I'm more saying it's going to be hard to make calls on the other academy players in Marsden Charlsworth and Dennis. When there'll be so much other talent left on the board.

It's so early in the year dude. We won't know who the Mills, Heeney, Hopper, Weitering, Bontempelli of this draft is until much later in the year. Getting too impatient!

If you want a perfect example of this go track the Bonts draft year and year leading up to it.

Another academy kid that had some draftable talk coming into the season was Jesse Esam. Haven't heard much about him so far this year.

I was shocked last year watching guys like Tucker, Balic, Mathieson fall. I had those three as top 20 guys.

I understand others (Victoria) dislike for the academies but to a American newbie like myself the father/son is the same thing. You're getting talent that wouldn't normally be available to you.

Just tone it down a little boys..
Maybe fake a hamstring stain for 3months?

I like to downplay Scheer but Bowes class is irrepressible - unless Bowes has an injury interrupted season and a few blokes step up I think he's going to cost us our 1st pick (unless the wheels completely fall off for the Demons :D)

Scheer did get 3 goals

Shaws Watson got 4.. ? Who the heck is he? I read he is our academy.

Marsden and Charlsworth 1each

Max spencer also named in the best along with Bowes.

So the Suns had 4 of the best 6 players playing for QLD

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/round...ure=124571004&c=1-3020-111719-392810-0&pool=1
Hey guys, sorry to intrude again. Shawn is another Cairns product and is from the Cairns Saints the same junior club as Bowes. He's has all the attributes but has taken a long while to mature, he kicked 7 playing seniors last season against South Cairns who Saints eventually beat in the grand final. Broke his foot not long after that match and never played again for the year.
He'd be 194cm+ And can leap but tends to be a lazy trainer but has applied himself well sense moving to the Coast, but in saying that, still only runs low 12's in the beep test and I don't think his 3k time trials would be much better. Hopefully for you guys he improves his aerobic attributes this year. He can run a 12 second 100 though so he's pretty quick.
You have some great talent from Cairns this year! And all of the boys are great kids.

Hey guys, sorry to intrude again. Shawn is another Cairns product and is from the Cairns Saints the same junior club as Bowes. He's has all the attributes but has taken a long while to mature, he kicked 7 playing seniors last season against South Cairns who Saints eventually beat in the grand final. Broke his foot not long after that match and never played again for the year.
He'd be 194cm+ And can leap but tends to be a lazy trainer but has applied himself well sense moving to the Coast, but in saying that, still only runs low 12's in the beep test and I don't think his 3k time trials would be much better. Hopefully for you guys he improves his aerobic attributes this year. He can run a 12 second 100 though so he's pretty quick.
You have some great talent from Cairns this year! And all of the boys are great kids.

Gee I wish I could stop being lazy and ONLY run a low 12 beep! :D But cheers for that.

Im assuming he is a top-ager and draft eligible?

Good to see our second tier academy boys? (if thats the right thing to call them) stepping up and getting there names out there. Hopefully 1 or 2 of them can sneak there way onto the rookie list at least! Or any teams list for that matter. (as long as they remember where home is in a couple of years!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back