Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024: Simpson coaching tenure officially ends

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, Schofield said on 6PR that he gets told by 'people on the inside' that they don't really go hard enough on players in game review during the week and that he'd almost crap himself every week when he was a younger player because Darren Glass wasn't afraid to go at players when they stuffed something up.
Not to mention Woosha. Schofield has said in the past that Woosha was genuinely scary at times.

Yeh nah. I have reasonable expectations that the list is capable of results that don't embarrass us. Losing every week by 20-30 points is one thing. Getting smashed by 60-100 points regularly or having teams put the game to bed by the end of the first quarter is embarrassing. Next week has us against the lions. I can't see us getting within 80 points. Really let's analyse the year so far.

Round by round losses

First three shocking.
1 50
2 65
3 76

Then the effort began
4 34
5 win
6 win
7 37
8 8
9 64
10 win

What the **** happens here
11 100

Brack to competitve
12. 14
13 9

14 bye

Head not in the game...
15 30
16 60
17 60

Upcoming smashings
18 lions 80+
19 Saints 30+
20 Freo 40+
21 suns ?
22 north 40+
23 blues 60+
24 cats 80+

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Those competitive round 12 & 13 games were losses to Saints and North at home. Should never have lost those based on the previous two months of form. The rot started again at half time in the Saints match.

Also, Schofield said on 6PR that he gets told by 'people on the inside' that they don't really go hard enough on players in game review during the week and that he'd almost crap himself every week when he was a younger player because Darren Glass wasn't afraid to go at players when they stuffed something up.
That's this generation though. Peace love and mungbeans, don't offend anyone it HR step in.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fairly revisionist though. Have we actually had a normal year of footy since covid? I know everyone had to deal with 2020 and 2021 equally but it doesn’t make it any less challenging, especially in an already unbalanced competition. Then 22 and 23 were write offs that weren’t necessarily the coaches or players fault.

This is the first “normal” year we’ve had in 4 years and it’s with a list on its last legs (if it wasn’t already 3-4 years ago).

I think his time is up but let’s not pretend we’re all oracles. On that pay packet with all the external factors ruining multiple seasons it made sense for him to at least be given this one. It hasn’t worked out and it’s time to move on.
You said it yourself covid everyone had to deal with so 0 excuses for it. Richmond won the flag playing how many games at home that year???

We were also smashed harder by covid in 2022 than anyone. Half a team of top ups at one point. Freo were in the exact same situation as us and barely affected. Whose fault is that? Did the coaches lay down ground rules that were ignored? Were no ground rules established in the first place? Were we just unlucky?

Find it hard to believe it was just dumb luck.

Coaching staff either dumb or lack respect. Or both.

It is abundantly clear that there are two competing situations at the moment.

1. There is the type of game style Simmo and his planners want the team to play.

2. There is the capabilities of the squad to play certain styles.

The two are miles apart.

A new coach will have the advantage of not being tied to a game style that they have sold to everyone making decisions.

A new coach will have the opportunity to mould a game style to the list in front of them.

The sooner that happens, the sooner we work out which players have a future.

We were also smashed harder by covid in 2022 than anyone. Half a team of top ups at one point. Freo were in the exact same situation as us and barely affected. Whose fault is that? Did the coaches lay down ground rules that were ignored? Were no ground rules established in the first place? Were we just unlucky?

Find it hard to believe it was just dumb luck.

Coaching staff either dumb or lack respect. Or both.
They didn't have COVID - it was during our injury crisis that we were playing top ups.

Wouldn't it be funny if Sumich put his hand up again, if the position became available again?
I have thought about him being a possible candidate too.

Tactically he might be good although would he be up with all the recent changes?

A downside that I have wondered about with him is player management. Would lots of players be wanting to leave, especially young Victorians because he is too critical.

Really I don’t know what he would be like, but I do know there has to be a change. The ship is sinking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the problem... creating a high accountability, high honour environment is the key ingredients for a well performing club.

100% agree. This season’s outcome determined the pass/fail grade for simmo and right now it looks like he has failed. Which is a shame because he was/is a great coach of the club.

Rohan and list management didn’t do him any favours, but I now believe simmo and the MC have lost the ability to see this list clearly and as a result are mismanaging the youth. Last off season was a pretty big shake up with back of house staff, I hope we get another eventful summer this year.
Add in strength conditioning/injury prevention and rehab team.
Add in the loss of Cameron, venables Rioli

I was going to say you bring entertainment, but that would be a lie. Your outrageous and consistently deranged comments sure are… something 😂 Glad you are having fun though, that’s the main thing.
If only I was allowed to post what I really thought, anyhow carry on with emoji’s👍

Not sure work rate is the issue - our ground coverage and speed was on par with Melb, so the effort's there.

I dunno, to me those stats are the definition of workrate being the issue.

Melb got a ~ 5% bump in their efforts on defence, our 5% extra is put in on offence.

The work rate and desire to work hard defensively just isn’t there regularly enough (would be interesting to see the stats for Q1, although we were defending for so much of the qtr it may be far too skewed).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back