Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024: Simpson coaching tenure officially ends

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My apologises just read Hansen CV you are right.

Forgot his 2006 flag and coached a VFL team to a flag. And was apart wb flag.

The thing that clouded my judgement was Hansen current coaching the failure of a club carlton
Carlton made a prelim after he joined and are now in second place.

I'd suggest Hansen would have a big part in that

We also tried to get him across when he went to Carlton but he stayed in Vic for family reasons.

He'd be a very good appointment IMO.

No, it’s not a joke. This season we’ve been putting very experienced teams on the park regularly. Using COVID or injuries in 2021-2023 as an excuse is nothing but a copout.
I think your expectations are wildly unreasonable then

Ideally, we get a complete outsider like Simpson was to bring in a completely fresh perspective. Someone who has tasted the ultimate success as a player and as part of a coaching team too.

But yeah Cox/Hansen are pretty good options too.

Last edited:

The tax is like double what you pay out, if we had if sacked him last year with two years to run we would have had to Pay Simpson 2 million for his last two years and 4 million for exceeding the soft cap.
As he is in year 2024 now we will only have to payout 2025 which is 1 million and 2 million tax.
Something like that anyway.
I agree that a club with the money we have should not worry about it but it would have been a poor look to throw away 4 million last year. Hence Adan is still our coach

We would be way ahead financially if we sacked him.

We would be playing better, more game attendance, more merch sales.

I'd argue we are losing money keeping this shit show going.

Why are the WC concerned about a payout? The profit goes to the AFL anyway doesn't it? Why was Buckley willing to stand down instead of being sacked at Collingwood? Did he receive a payout?
He didn't stand down. He was tapped on the shoulder behind closed doors and was given the gracious public exit strategy for the cameras. He spoke a bit about this on SEN radio months or so back.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gavin Bell has to go, no idea how he got to where he is now. He's the Football Manager of the club from 2022. More scrutiny on him, has a heap to answer for. Not someone who gets the spotlight on him much. But as someone who manages the whole football operation of the club. has much to answer for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just listened to Simmo's post game presser. He knows his time is up.
"Comfortable with my coaching mortality"
"I'll keep at it until I get tapped on the shoulder"
"Whether its me or someone else, it'll take time
" (in reference to the side improving)

Dead man walking.
Would be good to see him moved on ASAP, be good to see what a new coach does with our list rather than the same players in the same roles showing the same output. But suspect he will get sacked after our season finishes, just how we operate.

Only Eagles coach sacked in the last 35 years was Ken Judge (Malthouse & Woosha both resigned).

I have reasonable expectations that the list and results don't turn around in two-thirds of a season
Yeh nah. I have reasonable expectations that the list is capable of results that don't embarrass us. Losing every week by 20-30 points is one thing. Getting smashed by 60-100 points regularly or having teams put the game to bed by the end of the first quarter is embarrassing. Next week has us against the lions. I can't see us getting within 80 points. Really let's analyse the year so far.

Round by round losses

First three shocking.
1 50
2 65
3 76

Then the effort began
4 34
5 win
6 win
7 37
8 8
9 64
10 win

What the **** happens here
11 100

Brack to competitve
12. 14
13 9

14 bye

Head not in the game...
15 30
16 60
17 60

Upcoming smashings
18 lions 80+
19 Saints 30+
20 Freo 40+
21 suns ?
22 north 40+
23 blues 60+
24 cats 80+

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

The club hasn't been overrun by the North loser mentality. The fanbase certainly has been though. What we need most are players with a higher level of skill and time. Simmo won't be around for much longer but moving him on isn't going to solve what is currently the biggest problem - skill.

Today's game tells you everything you need to know about where we are at. We can compete but we're not good enough in enough areas to be playing finals footy. No amount of coaching is going to change that. We need to replace the Jamaine Jones', the Josh Rothams, the Jack Hutchinsons with AFL-calibre players. We need time for the Reuben Ginbeys, the Harley Reids, the Campbell Chessers to build AFL bodies and learn the intricacies of playing at the AFL level.

Being a campaigner isn't going to make our players better players.
I have read countless of your posts and you have your head up your arse. Explain to everyone why we are in this position. Its it because the club thought that it was actually better than was back in 2019, 2020, 2021,2022, 2023 and 2024. You are the biggest campaigner of the lot. So what should we do, just let things roll along as they are, nothing to see here. You and your ilk are part of the problem. FMD. Campaigner.

Just listened to Simmo's post game presser. He knows his time is up.
"Comfortable with my coaching mortality"
"I'll keep at it until I get tapped on the shoulder"
"Whether its me or someone else, it'll take time
" (in reference to the side improving)

Dead man walking.
Would be good to see him moved on ASAP, be good to see what a new coach does with our list rather than the same players in the same roles showing the same output. But suspect he will get sacked after our season finishes, just how we operate.

Only Eagles coach sacked in the last 35 years was Ken Judge (Malthouse & Woosha both resigned).
I was shocked early on in his presser when he said this amazing piece of insight I'd never heard before. It was mesmerising

He said when the ball goes in our forward line we either score or they run it out of defence.

I mean that's just incredible shit right there.
How could nobody else ever know this?

I hope the people that ripped into me and others about sacking him last year send us an apology, we have just wasted another year and lost any development into the kids we desperately needed. His time was up years ago! So many people saw this coming as early as 2020 which pisses me off
He’s worn the losses so a coach appointed last year isn’t in this exact position and people are already calling for his head because he couldn’t turn anything around. And I don’t see how much has changed. It’s fairly obvious this will be his last year, I have no problem with it, but appointing Schofield isn’t a new voice and doesn’t do anything but appease the mob.

Personally I think they should announce this is his last year, begin the recruitment process and get him to play a few more kids. But realistically, we are waiting for some young kids to develop before we even start looking a little better.

He’s worn the losses so a coach appointed last year isn’t in this exact position and people are already calling for his head because he couldn’t turn anything around. And I don’t see how much has changed. It’s fairly obvious this will be his last year, I have no problem with it, but appointing Schofield isn’t a new voice and doesn’t do anything but appease the mob.

Personally I think they should announce this is his last year, begin the recruitment process and get him to play a few more kids. But realistically, we are waiting for some young kids to develop before we even start looking a little better.
I didn’t mention Schofield taking over anywhere in my post? Also waiting for the kids develop under Simpson is contradictory, hard to develope if they can’t get a game or are given 5 mins in the last quarter as sub then dropped the next week. The sooner he ****s off the sooner they develop

Last edited:
I hope the people that ripped into me and others about sacking him last year send us an apology, we have just wasted another year and lost any development into the kids we desperately needed. His time was up years ago! So many people saw this coming as early as 2020 which pisses me off
You were right Luke...tell your sister you were right.

I have read countless of your posts and you have your head up your arse. Explain to everyone why we are in this position. Its it because the club thought that it was actually better than was back in 2019, 2020, 2021,2022, 2023 and 2024. You are the biggest campaigner of the lot. So what should we do, just let things roll along as they are, nothing to see here. You and your ilk are part of the problem. FMD. Campaigner.
No need to get personal. Anyone that has actually paid attention over the past few years has seen the decline since 2018 and what the club has done, and when, to rectify it. Our biggest issue coming into this season was our ability to keep players on the park. We overturned the S & C, changed training intensity and standards and our injury list is the best it has been in several years.

That doesn't automatically translate into results. There's a reason Simmo keeps batting on about 'synergy'. Sure, it's a bit of a crap cliche, but it takes time for players to get used to the game plan, get used to their role, get used to other players' roles and movements. This is the first season since 2021 where we've had a reasonably consistent core group, with 20 players playing ten or more games through 16 games. Of that group, six are 21 years or younger (three of whom are midfielders, one having already lost a year of development to injury), five are going to be 30 or older by year's end, and arguably only four of the other nine are in our best 23 by the time we turn this list over (Waterman, Barrass, Duggan and Cole... and I think that is being generous to Duggan and Cole).

If you think the club has "just let things roll along" then you haven't been paying attention. Early in the season, even when we were getting belted, we were trying to be more attacking. We didn't quite have the skill level to execute that plan and got killed on turnovers. When the skills started to stick, so did the results. We've been much better in the midfield this season compared to the previous two and we've given ourselves chances by delivering the ball inside 50. The only games that have really been let downs are Adelaide, when we looked lacklustre all game, and Hawthorn, who had an answer for everything we tried. The first quarter today was abysmal but we tidied up our decision making and skills (for the most part) and put in a competitive effort.

Whether you agree with it or not, it is going to take time for the list to turn over and the results to start falling our way. The club changed CEO and S & C staff last offseason. They'll make more changes this offseason. I expect one of those changes to be the head coach but whether that happens or not, that won't fix everything overnight.

Calling me names is not going to help anything the West Coast Eagles do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back