Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024: Simpson coaching tenure officially ends

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently Don Pyke needs to wait to make decisions cos he only been here a year ?

Which one is it guys. Gotta pick a lane and stick to it
Hasn't he only been here 6 months?
Would think he's spent 6 months getting the lay of the land and assessing what needs to be changed.
Hopefully he acts on the coach sooner rather than later.
Would expect to see any other big changes he wants to make start to come in over the off-season

I didn't watch the entire match... I couldn't stomach it. But what I did see, were countless players, under minimal pressure kicking the ball directly to the opposition. In many cases, they weren't kicking to 50/50 contests, and they weren't taking risking kicks and marginally missing their target. They were kicking directly to opposition players.

Like under-12s.

They aren't even skill errors, because calling it a 'skill error' implies there was some kind of underlying exercise of skill going on. IMHO, it was indicative of players who weren't even concentrating... completely unfocused on the task at hand.

The earlier wins in the season show that the team can play when they are switched on.

They are choosing not to.

I think he mentioned being taught a lesson in workrate and needing to dig in about player attitude after that performance. As he said nothing good came from that performance. Couldn't find the quote about learning nothing from the game. Pretty sure if we keep going away from being competitive across the ground we will get belted like that again.

He can either make changes at the selection table or shut his trap really

Why are people suggesting the loss is understandable because the Hawks are a pretty good team and further advanced?

WC blitzed 3rd placed Freo and Melbourne when they were up the pointy end of the ladder.

They can play good football, but effort, attitude and work rate just randomly disappear in way too many matches. Three years now

Simpson clearly cannot get the player's in the right head-space anymore, he's completely out of ideas

In fairness to Simmo, yesterday highlighted something he addressed fairly recently, in that we were working on basics after the interruptions of the past two years. The Hawks are a good two years ahead of us in their rebuild and it shows.

We were older and more experienced than the hawks yesterday (avg over a 100 games) with half a dozen premiership players, AA’s and best and fairest winners. Being too young isn’t the reason we played so poorly.

Hawks stuffed up some trades trying to hang on to premiership glory just like we did. They only started to improve when they changed the coach and played the kids. You can tell they are all playing for each other.
We look like a team of individuals with no cohesive plan apart from run back hard defensively.
That’s on the coaches imo. For whatever reason the players aren’t listening to them, they don’t understand it or the gameplan just sucks. With the leaders and players we have out there it shouldn’t look so panicky.

So if Pyke quit to take up a career as a groundskeeper and Drew Banfield comes in on January 15th 2025 that means Simmo should still be coaching us this time next year right ?

Go through enough CEOs and Simmo could be hear til 2030 at this rate
Are you as insufferable and shit annoying in real life too?

JFC

So if Pyke quit to take up a career as a groundskeeper and Drew Banfield comes in on January 15th 2025 that means Simmo should still be coaching us this time next year right ?

No.

Most CEO's go through a process of a few months where they work through each department, depending on the priority.

You think Pyke was seriously considering Simmo's future when he was coaching at Swans? Ridiculous to even suggest it.

Only one CEO signed Simpson to a lengthy, secret contract extension.
He is the same CEO who decided the birds of tokyo abomination was a good idea.
Thankfully he's gone and we've got someone in the role who's begun to turn us back into an actual footy club. I think he needs to be given a bit of time to make his mark.

No.

Most CEO's go through a process of a few months where they work through each department, depending on the priority.

You think Pyke was seriously considering Simmo's future when he was coaching at Swans? Ridiculous to even suggest it.
He should have had an idea what he wanted to do when he took the job. If he came in and said “nah I got no idea what I’m going to do. I’ll figure it out in 9 months or so” then he probably shouldn’t have got the job

I mean if I went for a job interview to lead a failing company and said “I ain’t gonna do anything for 9 months” I probably ain’t getting the job in real life

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only one CEO signed Simpson to a lengthy, secret contract extension.
He is the same CEO who decided the birds of tokyo abomination was a good idea.
Thankfully he's gone and we've got someone in the role who's begun to turn us back into an actual footy club. I think he needs to be given a bit of time to make his mark.
Not denying that one bit. It just needs to happen sooner.

All we have done is waste a season at this rate

He should have had an idea what he wanted to do when he took the job. If he came in and said “nah I got no idea what I’m going to do. I’ll figure it out in 9 months or so” then he probably shouldn’t have got the job

I mean if I went for a job interview to lead a failing company and said “I ain’t gonna do anything for 9 months” I probably ain’t getting the job in real life
Football clubs aren't the real world, for one.

You don't get 'seasons' in most industries, especially like team sport does.

Most other industries also have the luxury of not paying out $4 million to end someone's contract.

I understand that you're upset that you were proven wrong about the injuries being attributed to MRP surface, when in actuality it was due to the training methods, but Pyke can't just sack Simmo without the approval of the board, for starters.

Or did you already forget Nisbett tried that last year?

Not denying that one bit. It just needs to happen sooner.

All we have done is waste a season at this rate
I mean it'd be nice to fix everything at once but there's only so much you can work through.
He has fixed plenty in the short time he's been here and I think the club itself is starting to turn itself around off the field.
Obviously he needs to earn his money in the next few months sorting out the coach situation but there's no point rushing into a decision and ending up with a dud coach you have to dump in two years time.
If Cox is our target we're not going to get him until after Sydney's finals campaign

I mean it'd be nice to fix everything at once but there's only so much you can work through.
He has fixed plenty in the short time he's been here and I think the club itself is starting to turn itself around off the field.
Obviously he needs to earn his money in the next few months sorting out the coach situation but there's no point rushing into a decision and ending up with a dud coach you have to dump in two years time.
If Cox is our target we're not going to get him until after Sydney's finals campaign
I disagree in the sense this weekend was the lowest we have sunk so far…. It was a real attack on our club culture. Many people felt that. Fans, hell even Jako and Schoey felt it.

I think people are underestimating the hole we are still in a bit

It matters not who the target may be, in my opinion the real rebuild cannot start until simmo is gone. A big deep breath with a new message and new voice is so critical to this group. Many of whom will not last long with new coach.

Get ready for some hurt feelings

We won the 2018 premiership in spite of Adam Simpson not because of him. Everyone knows that in reality it was Sam Mitchell who should have been on the podium with Shannon Hurn, not Adam Simpson if we were being honest about who was responsbile for what

Its no surprise or coincidence that we fell away right after Sam Mitchell left and 5 years later Sam Mitchells team is running circles all over us in a glorified training drill.

Will Schofield rehashed a bit of this version of Mitchell at the end of the game in his commentary on Ch7 .. It was a bit surprising..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I disagree in the sense this weekend was the lowest we have sunk so far…. It was a real attack on our club culture. Many people felt that. Fans, hell even Jako and Schoey felt it.

I think people are underestimating the hole we are still in a bit
Sure but that's ultimately to do with our on-field performance, I'm talking about the football club starting to feel more like an actual football club again (past players coming back to the club, get rid of the shitty eagle bouncy castle, hopefully getting rid of the song, having the women's team being more involved in activities etc with the men's team).
I think Pyke has probably decided that we need to revamp the club from the top down, off field and on field culture both.
He was stuck with Simpson this year because lets face it, he's not going to get approval from the board to dump Simpson in January when you're going to have to pay a stupid amount to do it and you're going to struggle to get a decent coach to replace him.
If it was me Simpson would be gone this week, but when you think about it what happens if we really want someone like Cox, we install a caretaker coach like Schofield and they do alright in the last part of the season. There would be massive pressure to stick with the caretaker coach and give him a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back