Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024: Simpson coaching tenure officially ends

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of all the hilarious stuff in this thread the thing that has made me heartily chortle is the "Hodge and Seldwood are in the media coz the money is better than coaching."

They aren't in coaching coz both are either as thick as pig shit or so deep in their CTE symptoms that they can't string a coherent sentence together. Great players with an advanced understanding of the game? Sure. Able to think and instruct a team full of players, develop a gameplan and communicate it clearly? LoL

Well Craig Jennings is currently living in a caravan and he is an assistant coach at the giants. He is doing that as the pay and conditions isn’t good enough for a house or to handle the rent in Sydney. His wife and kids are still in Melbourne, so it’s probably not as silly as it sounds….

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Well Craig Jennings is currently living in a caravan and he is an assistant coach at the Swans. He is doing that as the pay and conditions isn’t good enough for a house or to handle the rent in Sydney. His wife and kids are still in Melbourne…

Think you missed the point of what I was saying.

ABC this morning has been a good listen

Not just on Simmo but the whole list. It is fair to say that the wheel has completely turned on Simpson. Not alot (if any) support for keeping him on at all

I tuned in as well, and agree with the shift in sentiment. Most people that has engaged had had enough.

Interesting to have Sharrod on, and hearing his input given that he had played under Simpson.

The main thing that really jumped out for mine, was the lack of development. The unwillingness to play younger kids.

Ran through the list of uncontacted players, considering whether or not to keep or delist and there were far too many responses along the lines of "well, haven't seen enough of them to make a call".

Acknowledge that the Beagles have been shithouse, but do think it's a legitimate criticism that we haven't exposed enough kids to AFL level football when the the likes of Jones and Petrucelle are getting games.

What's wrong with our development, and what do we need to do to address it and fast track players? Seems to be an ongoing point of discussion on these boards, going back as far as Colledge and Tunbridge.

I tuned in as well, and agree with the shift in sentiment. Most people that has engaged had had enough.

Interesting to have Sharrod on, and hearing his input given that he had played under Simpson.

The main thing that really jumped out for mine, was the lack of development. The unwillingness to play younger kids.

Ran through the list of uncontacted players, considering whether or not to keep or delist and there were far too many responses along the lines of "well, haven't seen enough of them to make a call".

Acknowledge that the Beagles have been shithouse, but do think it's a legitimate criticism that we haven't exposed enough kids to AFL level football when the the likes of Jones and Petrucelle are getting games.

What's wrong with our development, and what do we need to do to address it and fast track players? Seems to be an ongoing point of discussion on these boards, going back as far as Colledge and Tunbridge.

Yep good summary. Was a great listen tbh

As for what's wrong with our development, it's called the WAFL Eagles.

Yep good summary. Was a great listen tbh

As for what's wrong with our development, it's called the WAFL Eagles.

It cant just be that though. Don't get me wrong the state of the team is dire. But they are still out there having a crack and should be getting better.
The killer IMO is the wait to get in the team and the bar for remaining in the team seems to be much higher when you are trying to crack it. As opposed to the cavalry who come back in straight after long layoffs, have sub par games and get told its okay they are just coming back and wait until the synergise with the team.
It's fine not to play younger players but the communication needs to be clear so they can feel like they put their best foot forward and understand the potential path to the senior team. You can make that path as tough as you want but outside looking in there is no path and it's only if a senior player is suspended or injured that you will get a crack and then likely as a sub and dropped straight away once the injury/suspension is over. Team balance be damned.
This goes back to before Simpson and was one of my ongoing gripes with the club when Worsfold was coach.
Saying a young player isn't ready yet with our current team when there are senior players who are putting performances like we have seen this year is a morale killer. They sit and watch the games they see the missed tackles the half assed efforts and the coach still talking about them like they are a saviour.
Its something that has annoyed me about the club as I feel our younger players take the field looking like Deer in the headlights most of the time while other clubs appear to have defined role for them and hence can play with much more confidence.

TLDR
Making young players subs and gimp red wing roles are not motivating our younger players.

It cant just be that though. Don't get me wrong the state of the team is dire. But they are still out there having a crack and should be getting better.
The killer IMO is the wait to get in the team and the bar for remaining in the team seems to be much higher when you are trying to crack it. As opposed to the cavalry who come back in straight after long layoffs, have sub par games and get told its okay they are just coming back and wait until the synergise with the team.
It's fine not to play younger players but the communication needs to be clear so they can feel like they put their best foot forward and understand the potential path to the senior team. You can make that path as tough as you want but outside looking in there is no path and it's only if a senior player is suspended or injured that you will get a crack and then likely as a sub and dropped straight away once the injury/suspension is over. Team balance be damned.
This goes back to before Simpson and was one of my ongoing gripes with the club when Worsfold was coach.
Saying a young player isn't ready yet with our current team when there are senior players who are putting performances like we have seen this year is a morale killer. They sit and watch the games they see the missed tackles the half assed efforts and the coach still talking about them like they are a saviour.

There's no motivation at all to play well at the Beagles. You play well, if not in Simmos purple circle you won't get picked ij the seniors anyway. Play crap and you can't be dropped anywhere

Talk about Simmo after the 20 minute mark of this podcast - including an interview with Waddell. Interesting comments from Lee Matthews.

Waddell come off as pretty immature, as expected. Waddell went fishing and contacted a lot of people in order to get someone who said three players had messaged them. Doesn’t seem like any player spoke to the press but the messages were to someone else who had been connected to the club in the past.

Despite that, it is probably not bad that it has come to light.

Tony Micale on sports fm this morning suggested Simpson is clever in that he keeps those with pull in the club close…
Langer and him are joined at the hip and langer doesn’t want to do to Simpson what happened to him at cricket Australia.

He keeps darling in the side to keep peace with the senior players.. darling can get away with anything and everything as seen from the vaccination debacle where he got no penalty from his stance and can play the year out to get to 300 regardless of form.

Tony Micale on sports fm this morning suggested Simpson is clever in that he keeps those with pull in the club close…
Langer and him are joined at the hip and langer doesn’t want to do to Simpson what happened to him at cricket Australia.

He keeps darling in the side to keep peace with the senior players.. darling can get away with anything and everything as seen from the vaccination debacle where he got no penalty from his stance and can play the year out to get to 300 regardless of form.

Where do you source this information from or are you just hypothesising?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it's a big loss tomorrow, then hold for the crisis meetings on Tuesday. I'm sure Langer will go in and defend his best mate in some misguided defence of what happened to him in the cricket team, but the team needs to move on.

It’s possible I guess, but certainly would be against our history. I think if we have a few weeks of huge losses (say 70+) then there could be a more immediate change.

There's no point in sacking simmo when the season is nearly over. Think logic people.

Let's be real Pyke know we are such shit side and state. His view on us is low. His expectation of us is the floor.

That's why I like Pyke he is under no illusional that bar is the floor

There's no point in sacking simmo when the season is nearly over. Think logic people.

Giving Schofield, the assistant most likely to put his hand up for the job when Simpson does get the chop is one reason.

Optics…being seen to be doing something is another.

Think logic people.

Giving Schofield, the assistant most likely to put his hand up for the job when Simpson does get the chop is one reason.

Optics…being seen to be doing something is another.

Think logic people.
On the barra and quatermain podcast, they were suggesting that cox is the likely next coach. Any of the assistants as caretakers makes no difference, as the next coach must be outside of this current boys club.

It's Saturday night and we're on a football forum. We all need to get a life

Calm Down Family Guy GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back