Prediction Round 20, 2024 - Changes vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a bit like shuffling deckchairs on the Titanic?
Drop this spud and bring in that spud.
But obviously Jake, Yeo and Gov(?) would help.

There's no reason for Duggan not to come back in as far as I can see.

Despite everyone's whinging in gameday threads he's pretty consistently one of our better players this year, in probably all but 2 or 3 games he's been one of the top 5-6 on the field (behind the likes of Yeo, Reid, Snake, Gov or Barrass when they're on).

The concussion was nowhere near as bad as his first one and he has said he didn't actually black out or suffer the same ill affects. It would be massively conservative to leave him out I think.

There's no reason for Duggan not to come back in as far as I can see.

Despite everyone's whinging in gameday threads he's pretty consistently one of our better players this year, in probably all but 2 or 3 games he's been one of the top 5-6 on the field (behind the likes of Yeo, Reid, Snake, Gov or Barrass when they're on).

The concussion was nowhere near as bad as his first one and he has said he didn't actually black out or suffer the same ill affects. It would be massively conservative to leave him out I think.

It's his second concussion this year, massively conservative should be the default.

A lot will depend on who is available but preferred changes:
Out: Culley; In: Yeo
Out: L.Edwards, In: Duggan
Out: B.Williams, In: Flynn
Out: Jones, In: McGovern
Out: Hutchinson, In: Waterman
Out: Chesser, In: Hall
Out: Rotham, In: Sheed (as sub)

Could we try Cole as a smaller forward? He's a good scrapper and has kicked the odd goal in the past.

He has kicked a grand total of 4 goals in his entire career.

He doesn’t have athleticism to be a small forward. He is a average rated stopper (at best). Nothing else. People praise tackling but gets caught out of position ALOT.

It’s not clear to me what a kid learns chasing opposition players all day. We need to be competitive.

Good comment but…. I wonder what that same kid learns chasing tails all day in WAFL.

For mine if MC believe a Beagle is worthy of a shot in the AFL put in the 22 and give him three games before his position is reviewed.

If we subscribe to this theory, and as examples from the current crop, then
:Trew gets another week.
: Culley gets another two weeks.

Now before everyone goes full long run on my comments - managing the promotion and dropping of players for a while has been sub-par. Early this year I thought we were heading in a good place with this part of development - now I’m not so sure.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's his second concussion this year, massively conservative should be the default.
Concussions have different severity. I don't think his last concussion was bad at all and he was unlucky to have his head caught where it was.

If he misses so be it, but it would hardly be negligent of the Eagles to bring him in after serving his time out of the game and not showing any lingering symptoms (which I believe to be the case based on what Duggan/LEdwards have said on different podcasts).

For some concussions the mandatory 12-day break is the conservative part, better safe than sorry, which I fully agree with.

Good comment but…. I wonder what that same kid learns chasing tails all day in WAFL.

For mine if MC believe a Beagle is worthy of a shot in the AFL put in the 22 and give him three games before his position is reviewed.

If we subscribe to this theory, and as examples from the current crop, then
:Trew gets another week.
: Culley gets another two weeks.

Now before everyone goes full long run on my comments - managing the promotion and dropping of players for a while has been sub-par. Early this year I thought we were heading in a good place with this part of development - now I’m not so sure.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Maybe. But it’s chasing tail at next level down. They will still touch it twice as much.

People thinking Cripps will be dropped are dreaming. Had a poor game, but his overall season hasn't been as terrible as everyone is making out. Still kicked 19 goals, and averages 3 tackles a game, which is only marginally below his career average. IMHO, his accuracy is down though... seems way less reliable than usual.

With a full season left on his contract, I can see him being given every opportunity to get his form right.

People thinking Cripps will be dropped are dreaming. Had a poor game, but his overall season hasn't been as terrible as everyone is making out. Still kicked 19 goals, and averages 3 tackles a game, which is only marginally below his career average. IMHO, his accuracy is down though... seems way less reliable than usual.

With a full season left on his contract, I can see him being given every opportunity to get his form right.
It’s pointless though, he won’t be getting another contract. Play someone from the WAFL that we want to see what they are capable of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The WAFL bye this week means no one could press for selection, but it also means we've got a bunch of fresh players available.

Out: Ryan (suspended), Culley, Chesser, Jones, Rotham (sub)
In: Waterman, Yeo, Johnston, Dewar, Hall

Backs: Barras, Hedwards, Ginbey, Hough, Cole, Hunt, Witherden
Mids: Yeo, Kelly, Reid, Trew, Ledwards, Maric (wings)
Rucks: Williamses
Forwards: Waterman, Allen, Hutchinson, Petruccelle, Cripps, Dewar, Johnston
Sub: Hall (debut)
Emergencies: Jones (held over if we need to), Rotham, Culley
Also available for WAFL: Chesser, Sheed, Gaff, Darling, AReid, Burgiel, Rawlinson, Baker, Livingstone, Barnett, Bazzo, possibly Flynn.

Don't rush McGovern or Duggan back. Keep going with the Ginbey at half-back experiment even though it means he's probably going to have to play on one of Treacy, Amiss or Jackson.

Throw Hall a debut, poor kid was looking like playing round 1 and now he's seen Johnston, Rawlinson, Dewar, Hutchinson and almost Archer Reid play ahead of him. Give him a taste.

Amazingly I dropped four and I could have dropped another four pretty easily. Bailey only survives because Flynn has no match fitness. A few others are lucky there's bugger all depth behind them.

Get some big bodies in and hit them with everything, nothing to lose.

Put Reid on the angry dwarf Serong, would be a great learning experience for him and plus may just trigger Serong to do something stupid.

The WAFL bye this week means no one could press for selection, but it also means we've got a bunch of fresh players available.

Out: Ryan (suspended), Culley, Chesser, Jones, Rotham (sub)
In: Waterman, Yeo, Johnston, Dewar, Hall

Backs: Barras, Hedwards, Ginbey, Hough, Cole, Hunt, Witherden
Mids: Yeo, Kelly, Reid, Trew, Ledwards, Maric (wings)
Rucks: Williamses
Forwards: Waterman, Allen, Hutchinson, Petruccelle, Cripps, Dewar, Johnston
Sub: Hall (debut)
Emergencies: Jones (held over if we need to), Rotham, Culley
Also available for WAFL: Chesser, Sheed, Gaff, Darling, AReid, Burgiel, Rawlinson, Baker, Livingstone, Barnett, Bazzo, possibly Flynn.

Don't rush McGovern or Duggan back. Keep going with the Ginbey at half-back experiment even though it means he's probably going to have to play on one of Treacy, Amiss or Jackson.

Throw Hall a debut, poor kid was looking like playing round 1 and now he's seen Johnston, Rawlinson, Dewar, Hutchinson and almost Archer Reid play ahead of him. Give him a taste.

Amazingly I dropped four and I could have dropped another four pretty easily. Bailey only survives because Flynn has no match fitness. A few others are lucky there's bugger all depth behind them.

How certain are you that the club would bring Duggo back in Migs? Surely they take a “conservative approach” given how close the two concussions have been?

IN: Flynn, Johnston, Yeo, Waterman, Hall
OUT : Ledwards, Jones, Rotham, Chesser, Culley

I’d play with 4 tall forwards, 2 rucks and sub Bailey off early in 3rd to bring Hall on. What else can we do? Alternative is bringing Sheed back really

I don't think this many changes is very realistic, but I'd love to see...

OUT: A Witherden, J Jones, J Cripps, L Edwards, C Chesser, T Cole, J Rotham (sub)
IN: J Baker, J Waterman, T Dewar, E Yeo, C Hall, L Rawlinson, A Gaff (sub)

FB: B Hough, H Edwards, R Ginbey
HB: J Hunt, J McGovern, J Baker
C: T Kelly, J Culley, R Maric
HF: L Ryan, O Allen, J Petruccelle
FF: J Hutchinson, J Waterman, T Dewar

R: B Williams, E Yeo, H Reid

I: J Williams, Z Trew, C Hall, L Rawlinson
S: A Gaff

Cripps has been fine for much of this year, but that kind of effort from a senior player is completely unacceptable.

I'm done with the mediocre and uncreative small defenders. Rip that whole bandaid off, give Baker a chance.

Give Culley a chance to play inside and free up Kelly on the outside.

Chesser clearly isn't getting midfield minutes with Yeo back, so he can get it for the Beagles.

Wouldn't mind a derby debut for Hall also, he'd relish the physical stuff.

Rawlinson in purely to tackle and set the standard for pressure up front. Horses for courses, not on merit.

Bring Gaff on as sub to spice things up later in the piece if needs be. Otherwise this spot can literally go to anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back