Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024: Simpson coaching tenure officially ends

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to feed into this interaction any more than it needs to be, but you can see here Harley's probably said something to him as he's walking past and Simmo sort of half responded while walking to the front. Really don't think there's anything in it.

View attachment 2043579

View attachment 2043578
Reid looks kinda chuffed there in those photos. Almost a "told ya so" way.

Maybe reid was one of the texters...

Williams looked pissed at simmo and angry that his biggest supporter is leaving and he may not get another game lol.

My humourous take on it anyway. Don't shout me down with where my sources are and how do you know.

One line: “I love Perth and I love footy”. Sounded like a shout out to Freo to me and wouldn’t surprise if he’s an assistant coach there next year. Doubt he’ll move back over east with his youngest still in school and the other kids no doubt forging their own paths.
I was interested in that question as he’s very settled in Perth & owns a holiday home in Dunsborough that he rents out.

I thought he said “I love Perth BUT I love footy” meaning he’ll go where his next job takes him. (But I could be wrong) I don’t see him ending up at Freo, but if Graham ends up at WC you never know & I think Simpson had coached the forwards at the Hawks in his time which is Grahams line.

Please tell me I didn't hear one of the reporters asking whether or not daisy would take position as head coach?

Not to feed into this interaction any more than it needs to be, but you can see here Harley's probably said something to him as he's walking past and Simmo sort of half responded while walking to the front. Really don't think there's anything in it.

View attachment 2043579

View attachment 2043578
Daisy has her hand over her backpack like she's worried someone's going to steal her stuff.

Watched most of the Presser, just finished work for the day, will watch the rest.

One can both admire Simpson as a great coach of the club and acknowledge that the time was right and probably long over due for the change. No one can take 2018 from him and I sincerely hope nothing but good fortune to him as he moves on. If he does get one more game to coach as a farewell I hope the playing group do right by him and give 100% effort for 100% of the game. (I don't hold out hope though considering the garbage they have been putting out).

I thought Simmo spoke really well, the fact he still stood by the playing group right to the end speaks volumes for his character.

The right call made, done the right way.

Hand over the keys to Schofield for the rest of the year with the instructions to play the yoof like Trew for the rest of the year, in return for a guaranteed job next year whether as assistant or if he impresses the hell out of everyone after a rigorous and fair process where we interview everyone, senior coach 🤷‍♂️
New coach often brings in new assistant coaches

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps I'll moderate my view if we recover to be competitive sometime in this decade but right now all I see a bloke who held on a couple years after his role become untenable and has left us in complete disarray. You talk of a couple of decades of failure as though that isn't possible from where we are right now.
I see the core of a great team. Couple more drafts and we are away again. We need another a+grade mid, some support, a few hbf’ers - another kpd and we are off and racing. We are at the bottom of the table before tassie come in and monster the drafts.

Yes we needed a new coach, all coaches get stale after a while - but Simmo won us a flag and there’s plenty of coaches out there that havnt. I’m thankful he came here and will treasure 2018. The deck is stacked against you as an interstate club.

I’m bullish about the future and I’m hoping dean cox is the new coach.

For all the doom and gloom we have improved from last year and we will improve some more next year.

Malthouse and Worsfold were both better coaches and left far better legacies.

Malthouse implanted professionalism, contested footy and team defence on our culture. Legend.

Worsfold picked that back up, took us to a flag and when his squad disintegrated in 2007 he still took it close to another flag. Worsfolds last 6 years he turned over a bunch of players, recruited well and developed a whole new premiership list. When we were at rock bottom he took shit for having his players play man on man, but in doing so he imprinted accountability. We never lost our onfield culture while Worsfold was there. Did it against headwinds as well. Simpsons Covid was Worsfolds drug crisis difference being Worsfold held us together.

Simpson took Worsfolds list and implemented a possession brand of football that took AFL by surprise. We had by far the best talls in the league and we were able to dominate possession through our kick mark game. HOWEVER that was also our downfall. That gameplan took us away from our historic strengths of contested footy and team defence. After 2018 we mounted a soft premiership defence, backed that up with a shocking 2020 and the rest is history. Covid had exposed how far up our own arses our players had been allowed to go. Our professionalisim cratered and injuries followed. We traded and drafted abysmally and of those we did get we haven't developed them. Now we head into uncharted territory...
I think the Rioli madness and saga from 2019-2022 were damaging.

He had become an elite player in 2019 then blew it all up and part of the club with him.

Last edited:
It was interesting in the press conference that the demeanour of the guy who had just been executed was the most relaxed. Both Pyke and Fitzpatrick looked awkward, pained and uncomfortable. The Simpson Fitzpatrick handshake at the end was strained

Say what you want about Simpson's coaching by the end. Bu at the press conference he came across as one tough cookie. All class.

Go well Adam

It was interesting in the press conference that the demeanour of the guy who had just been executed was the most relaxed. Both Pyke and Fitzpatrick looked awkward, pained and uncomfortable. The Simpson Fitzpatrick handshake at the end was strained

Say what you want about Simpson's coaching by the end. Bu at the press conference he came across as one tough cookie. All class.

Go well Adam
Fitzpatrick looks like that all the time

He has the charisma of a toilet seat

Could it be that he’s actually really gutted that Simmo’s out?

Maybe the shoulder tap was like a ‘chin up mate’ gesture?

Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Absolutely! Probably the wrong interpretation on my part. In other angles it looks more like Harley made a comment which means there’s nothing in the rest of it.

Aaaaanyway….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back