Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024: Simpson coaching tenure officially ends

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well hasn’t today’s loss dragged out a few sporadic posters out of the woodwork

I’ve posted previously about Simpson earning ticks and crosses throughout this year as part of the decision whether to retain him for the last year of his contract

Today was worth two entries in the cross column. With the side we had that was our worst performance for the year and were it not for the efforts of McGovern and Barrass we might be talking about a 100 point loss

The players were flat from the opening bounce and never got into gear

It’s now a matter of when we part ways with Simpson as the club needs a circuit breaker. He can’t be coach in 2025, it’d be untenable

So do we rip the bandaid off now and give Schofield an audition or persevere with what would effectively be a deadman walking by retaining Simpson for the rest of the year

What’s most disappointing is that after the Melbourne game we looked to be on the right path and things were on the up. Turned to shit since then for no apparent reason
Rip the band-aid off this week and let's move on.

Well hasn’t today’s loss dragged out a few sporadic posters out of the woodwork

I’ve posted previously about Simpson earning ticks and crosses throughout this year as part of the decision whether to retain him for the last year of his contract

Today was worth two entries in the cross column. With the side we had that was our worst performance for the year and were it not for the efforts of McGovern and Barrass we might be talking about a 100 point loss

The players were flat from the opening bounce and never got into gear

It’s now a matter of when we part ways with Simpson as the club needs a circuit breaker. He can’t be coach in 2025, it’d be untenable

So do we rip the bandaid off now and give Schofield an audition or persevere with what would effectively be a deadman walking by retaining Simpson for the rest of the year

What’s most disappointing is that after the Melbourne game we looked to be on the right path and things were on the up. Turned to shit since then for no apparent reason

Get rid of him now appoint an interim coach if thats Schofield so be it...it give us the best amount of time to look for the best possible coach ...instead of waiting to the end of year

Look at the situation we are in ...we are not going to move up the order in the draft we might move down thats not going to change

Start having exit meetings with your seniors in the next 8 weeks....

Prioritise the youth

The quicker we do it the quicker we can look at bouncing back up

All I know is whoever our next coach is needs to yell a lot, because I haven’t learned how to regulate my own emotions and I demand to be heard.
I assume this is directed at someone specific or several people because you’re normally quite restrained with your comments Badger and you seem to be poking the bear here.

Surely even you’d concede after today Simmos role is nearly untenable and we should be looking to replace him as soon as the right candidate comes along?

Whatever Pyke says to the media, if anything at all, i would bet money that Simpson gets summoned to the CEO's office for a meeting with Pyke tomorrow morning and Pyke will give it to him with the bark still on, wipe the nonchalance off his face and tell him it was unacceptable. Nobody other than Simpson thinks that that performance is OK.

I assume this is directed at someone specific or several people because you’re normally quite restrained with your comments Badger and you seem to be poking the bear here.

Surely even you’d concede after today Simmos role is nearly untenable and we should be looking to replace him as soon as the right candidate comes along?
Yeah, absolutely. Gave my thoughts on the siren and think it’s time, today sealed it. Couldn’t begrudge it happening tomorrow but knowing the club I think offseason is a certainty (which then begs the question why wait,so let’s see if the Pyke regime is materially different to the Nissy regime in that regard).

Just love the same crop of people always going back to the “he doesn’t yell enough” well, like that’s what makes a coach or even a difference.

Coach doesn’t yell is usually followed by a “world’s gone woke and soft” post or two, and it’s as embarrassing as anything the footy club has served up over the last few years.

Good coaching is when you smash a phone.

Yeah, absolutely. Gave my thoughts on the siren and think it’s time, today sealed it. Couldn’t begrudge it happening tomorrow but knowing the club I think offseason is a certainty (which then begs the question why wait,so let’s see if the Pyke regime is materially different to the Nissy regime in that regard).

Just love the same crop of people always going back to the “he doesn’t yell enough” well, like that’s what makes a coach or even a difference.

Coach doesn’t yell is usually followed by a “world’s gone woke and soft” post or two, and it’s as embarrassing as anything the footy club has served up over the last few years.

Gotcha. Thanks for the context, couldn’t agree more.

Let's face it, if it wasnt for Reid giving us a bit of a sugar hit and excitement for a few games, Simmo would be gone by now. It was a false dawn and it is apparent now.

The senior players are back to playing uninspired, reactionary football, digruntled, disinterested, undisciplined, ECO.
I havent seen somebody coast along and play bruise-free footy as much as guys like TK, Chesser, etc did today.

Everybody has said it, but right now we need a new voice, we need a change of direction, somebody to unify under, and a bit like Simmo himself did in 2014, and Sam Mitchell now, build something over the next couple of years.

So, who do we go after? In the interim i would give Schofield the gig. He speaks well, and he may surprise in the few weeks he has if given a couple of months to show us what he has as a leader.

Leppitsch seems like he is very highly regarded and i think a la Voss, a second opportunity may give him a chance to show what he has. Dean Cox has had a very long apprenticeship, and is a favourite son but i am a bit doubtful about him.

Big picture stuff, we all know Simmo will be gone at the end of the year. But why not now? What are we waiting for? Do we want him to go out in a more respectful manner, or do we just pull the pin now and cut our losses?

What is the obsession with Schofield? He is a senior assistant of a side that can’t kick to targets. Surely so much of the skills work is at the assistant level? We seem to be giving free passes to the assistants, rather than questioning what they are doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If simmo aint punching a hole through the wall he ain't doing it right.

Leaning towards having the conversation with Simpson with 1 year remaining on his deal.

What I dont like is there seems to be a large echo chamber already giving Cox/Schofield the job. I'd prefer a very well respected panel and thorough process to take to place.

The BEST Man get it.

The only thing you can in Simpson's defence is that our drafting has been the worst in the comp for a decade and we have given him really s*** cattle to work with.

On the flip side, our case for some priority picks got stronger today. We should definately publicly ask, even if we know the answer will be No and kick up a stink, so that in the event we are in the bottom 4 again next year the chances of the AFL saying Yes will improve if they want to avoid us kicking up a stink and accusing them of Victorian bias again.

Well, the last few pages went about as expected.

I’m neither here nor there on whether to sack Simmo at the end of this year but unless we have a candidate in mind and effectively sealed, I wouldn’t be changing the plan. Simmo seems to be there to wear the losses while the group develops. Sacking him now for someone who is part of the coaching group that is the reason we are where we are now is a panic move. It can make things worse and make the club less attractive to the best candidate. I would still wait until the end of the season. The last month has been disappointing and if it continues, he’s gone. If we come home with a wet sail, who knows.

And to those saying this was our best team, sure, on paper. But Allen is two weeks back after missing half a season, Kelly and Reid back after missing a month, Yeo dealing with shit. It was the best team on paper, it’ll take a couple of weeks to see if it’s the best team in action.

I’m neither here nor there on whether to sack Simmo at the end of this year but unless we have a candidate in mind and effectively sealed, I wouldn’t be changing the plan. Simmo seems to be there to wear the losses while the group develops. Sacking him now for someone who is part of the coaching group that is the reason we are where we are now is a panic move. It can make things worse and make the club less attractive to the best candidate. I would still wait until the end of the season. The last month has been disappointing and if it continues, he’s gone. If we come home with a wet sail, who knows.

And to those saying this was our best team, sure, on paper. But Allen is two weeks back after missing half a season, Kelly and Reid back after missing a month, Yeo dealing with shit. It was the best team on paper, it’ll take a couple of weeks to see if it’s the best team in action.
100%

I dont think Simmo should be gone this week. If in 2 weeks time after the next home game nothing has changed, that'll be the time imo.

We put in half decent performances seemingly at random, we were fine against Essendon for the most part.

I think he won't be around for next year, but definitely shouldn't rush to remove him right now imo.
That being said if he was removed this week I wouldn't be upset about it. I dont think many people think Simmo is a long term coach, he's just there to wear losses and give some kids time to develop so a new coach isn't walking into a complete shitshow

What group is developing please? Reid, ginbey and Maric are the only guys under two years experience and after trialling Maric as a wing he starts the sub and plays forward. Chesser is in his third year. …

The rest of that team have no development left in them. None.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Big picture stuff, we all know Simmo will be gone at the end of the year. But why not now? What are we waiting for? Do we want him to go out in a more respectful manner, or do we just pull the pin now and cut our losses?

Simpson absolutely has to go now. For the love of baby Jesus, he packs his sh!t and leaves immediately. Today!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Darth Simpson has done a complete mind trick on you he has.

What a weak embarrassing, insipid and piss poor effort that was from our best 22.
I've been a eagles member for over 30yrs and that was the first time that i have seen people walking out at the 10 minute mark of the last quarter.
When a team is as flat as the eagles were from the first bounce then the fault has to lie with all the coaches and sports psychologists.
Who is at fault when the players cant lay tackle , man up on their direct opponents or even chase them. I wonder if Simmo, Schofield, Knights and Webster even laid a tackle when they played the game.

Don Pyke should line up all of the coaches and not just Simmo and give them a good reaming.

There seems to be a fascination with some posters in replacing Simmo with Schofield. that would be taking the club 5 steps backwards. He might have been a good WAFL coach of a rich club, but that was his limit.

We need a total clean out of all the cockroaches, match committee, so called analysts and bring in new blood.
We need to have Big Cox in 2025.
All the money in the world wont keep Harley Reid at the club if we don't show massive improvement over the next 2 yrs.

Can't see where any wins will be in the run home.

Best we can hope for is no repeats of yesterdays flogging.

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Couldn't be a more deserving coach to finish his tenure getting smashed

What is the obsession with Schofield? He is a senior assistant of a side that can’t kick to targets. Surely so much of the skills work is at the assistant level? We seem to be giving free passes to the assistants, rather than questioning what they are doing.
This is what I always find hilarious about people on here. Schofield has been heavily involved in running this team over the last few years. They are a coaching team and if Simpson is to blame so is Schofield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back