Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a simple answer to that: They don't actually look when they kick the ball.

For the most part, that’s correct. But Maric seems to be that player that many of the boys seemingly will not kick the ball to…and it’s becoming more noticeable every time he takes the field.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

For the most part, that’s correct. But Maric seems to be that player that many of the boys seemingly will not kick the ball to…and it’s becoming more noticeable every time he takes the field.

Used to happen all the time with Jetta as well, from memory.

Dooubt it'd be an issue with him, he wouldn't have re-signed for 2 years if there were problems.

I think the older players just look for each other all the time. Familiarity maybe? It was that way in the past too.

First question our new coach needs to ask the group;

‘Why do so many of you boys choose to continuously actively ignore Ryan Maric when he is free when openly leading for the ball?’

Based on the Hawks game alone, it would appear Maric is not liked or respected by a few of the slightly more experienced players.

Kick it to free and open Maric?

Nah, let’s kick it to a contest and allow the ball to turn over, again.

That needs to be fixed, asap.

Probably more to do with an average game plan than anything else.

It's not limited to Maric they don't look for any creative option and just kick long to a contest.

Simmo has said a few times that they haven't been training ball movement because they want to focus on other fundamentals - I've always found that strange because I feel like ball movement is a pretty important fundamental.
Ive found this odd myself - continually kicking up the line to a contest/ to force a ball-up (such as in the Hawks game) implies that you are actively trying to engage in a contested possession gameplan.....but we arent doing that? So WTF is the plan, exactly?

Ive found this odd myself - continually kicking up the line to a contest/ to force a ball-up (such as in the Hawks game) implies that you are actively trying to engage in a contested possession gameplan.....but we arent doing that? So WTF is the plan, exactly?
To stretch 'em with our height, because it's worked so well in the past....

Compared to the previous two years, this year has been a welcome improvement.
I disagree.

The last 2 years when we were crueled by injury we expected to get blown away every game and surprisingly won't 3 games last year which was great to see.

This year we have performed in 3 games and won convincingly and shown what we can do with a relatively healthy list and the boys are committed.

But for most of the other games we have underperformed and shown a lack of interest and been poor with motivation and application.

We had the players to beat the saints, hawks and north and arguably could've beaten Essendon....if we played with the same application as we did against freo and Melbourne.

But no we showed up with **** all ****s to give and Simpson is lost as to how to get those ****s back in the side to give.

Goodbye Simpson hopefully.

It's not limited to Maric they don't look for any creative option and just kick long to a contest.

Simmo has said a few times that they haven't been training ball movement because they want to focus on other fundamentals - I've always found that strange because I feel like ball movement is a pretty important fundamental.
And it's also possible to train the players at more than one thing at once.

Come on mate. Simpson said himself he has just been focusing on contested possession and hasn't started working on ball movement.

Can't overload the players with 2 things at once...
One day we'll get to see the new game plan he's been working on for 4 years, can't rush these things you know

I disagree.

The last 2 years when we were crueled by injury we expected to get blown away every game and surprisingly won't 3 games last year which was great to see.

This year we have performed in 3 games and won convincingly and shown what we can do with a relatively healthy list and the boys are committed.

But for most of the other games we have underperformed and shown a lack of interest and been poor with motivation and application.

We had the players to beat the saints, hawks and north and arguably could've beaten Essendon....if we played with the same application as we did against freo and Melbourne.

But no we showed up with **** all ****s to give and Simpson is lost as to how to get those ****s back in the side to give.

Goodbye Simpson hopefully.
We played pretty well against Essendon and played better than the scoreboard suggested against North and St Kilda. Adelaide and Hawthorn are the only games I would deem 'unacceptable' this season. This season has been much better to watch than the last two seasons. I think you're being harsh.

We played pretty well against Essendon and played better than the scoreboard suggested against North and St Kilda. Adelaide and Hawthorn are the only games I would deem 'unacceptable' this season. This season has been much better to watch than the last two seasons. I think you're being harsh.
You were happy with the 10 goal average losses to port, giants and Bulldogs to start the season?
They were acceptable?

You were happy with the 10 goal average losses to port, giants and Bulldogs to start the season?
They were acceptable?
They were in the context of what this season is about. Go back and actually watch those games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In what context are you referring to?

Because all 3 games we got flogged especially the Bulldogs game.
We competed in the midfield and were attacking from defense. We got killed on turnovers but we were trying things.

Seriously, go back and watch the games.

We competed in the midfield and were attacking from defense. We got killed on turnovers but we were trying things.

Seriously, go back and watch the games.
I don't need to watch the games ( we got flogged in all of them and I didn't even include the Collingwood game) and you've admitted it right there.

We got killed on turnovers and what happened yesterday?..more of the same killing on turnovers.

Simpson has had all season to work on it and has done nothing but said yesterday
"we learnt nothing from that game"

So clearly he has learnt nothing from any of them and has no idea how to stop it.

I don't need to watch the games ( we got flogged in all of them and I didn't even include the Collingwood game) and you've admitted it right there.

We got killed on turnovers and what happened yesterday?..more of the same killing on turnovers.

Simpson has had all season to work on it and has done nothing but said yesterday
"we learnt nothing from that game"

So clearly he has learnt nothing from any of them and has no idea how to stop it.
In fairness to Simmo, yesterday highlighted something he addressed fairly recently, in that we were working on basics after the interruptions of the past two years. The Hawks are a good two years ahead of us in their rebuild and it shows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back