Hayden Skipworth :collingwood:

Troy Chaplin :melbourne:

Ashley Hansen :carlton:

Chris Newman :hawthorn:

Josh Carr :port:

Jaymie Graham :freo:

Daniel Giansiracusa :essendon:

Nathan Buckley
Can you imagine Josh Carr coaching West Coast? Some fans might actually microwave their membership

Besides Dean Cox, who are some potential candidates to take over?

And is Coxy only being suggested as he's an ex-Eagle or is he genuinely a good shout?

In no particular order and not necessarily endorsing anyone, these would be people that could/should be considered:

Scott Burns
Assistant at West Coast (2008-13), Collingwood (2014-17), Hawthorn 2018-19), Adelaide (2020-current)

Ashley Hansen
Assistant at Western Bulldogs (2013-2021), Carlton (2022-current). Coached Bulldogs VFL team to a premiership in 2016

Daniel Giansiracusa
Assistant at Western Bulldogs (2015-20), Essendon (2021-current). AFLCA Assistant Coach of the Year 2020

Jaymie Graham
Development coach at St Kilda (2012-13) and West Coast (2014-15), East Perth Senior Coach (2016), Assistant at West Coast (2017-21), Fremantle (2022-current)

Nigel Lappin
Assistant at Geelong since 2009

Adrian Hickmott
Assistant at West Coast (2011-21) and Hawthorn (2022-current). Notably handpicked by Mitchell to join him at Hawthorn

Stephen King
Assistant at St Kilda (2010-11), Western Bulldogs (2012-21), Gold Coast (2022-23), Geelong (2024)

Brett Montgomery
Assistant at Carlton (2008-10), Western Bulldogs (2011-16), Port Adelaide (2019-22) and GWS (2023- current)

Chris Newman
Assistant at Hawthorn (2016-23) and Richmond (2024)

Corey Enright
Assistant at Geelong (2017-21) and St Kilda (2022-current)

Josh Carr
Assistant at Port Adelaide (2011-15 & 2022-current) and Fremantle (2020-21). Head coach at North Adelaide SANFL (2016-19)

Nathan Buckley is the only previous senior coach I’d consider

There’s probably others I haven’t mentioned but clearly there’d be no shortage of candidates

Troy Chaplin seems to be highly rated

Personally I'd like Stephen King, simply to fill the vacuum of Simpsons jokes that we'll lose with Simmo leaving.

Misery, Petch Sematery, The Running Man, The Sheedshank Redemption. There's a bevvy of puns and play on words we could use.

The Stand - imagine using that when we turn things around and start our upwards trajectory against a flag fancy.

Bachman!

Last edited:
James Rahilly is another

What about “credits”? I bet it has Adam Simpson in there.
It just so happens that it does!

Credits

Nepotistic system of selection based on historic results, as opposed to current outputs. Known to produce compounding dimishing results and long term instability

example:
adam-simpson-letting-his-feelings-for-the-goal-review-v0-NmtrendjNGJzZnVjMeAFETiVsLntt5MmWyx3A...jpg
(you're not fooling anyone with those glasses Simmo).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as i was glad that he finished up when he did, i would like to see Worsfold and Sumich brought in for a 3 year period to stabilise the club. Like a short term care taker role. We just need somebody who can come in and get the mentality in the playing group right and get the right effort levels hapenning week in and week out. Without effort and intensity and mental discipline to start with game plans don't matter. It is really sad that we have gotten to this rock bottom place where we have to really go back to square one of having to get the players to actually try consistently but i think that that is where we are at.

The other thing to consider is when people pump out these lists of possible candidates is that a good number of those guys might well say no to applying for the gig or might put conditions on accepting that we wouldn't accept such as a watertight 5 year contract. Universal industry opinion is that we are pretty much the worst state in terms of our list that any club has ever been in and it will take 5 years for finals to even been a consideration for us again. They might be wrong. Some posters might vehemently disagree with the industry consensus and think our recent first rounders like Chesser are destined to win Brownlow's in the future. You can have your own opinion on the state of the list. But what is not debateable is that that is the industry consensus. That makes it hard to recruit a new coach. Because the guys on that list want a 10 year plus senior coaching career. They don't want to coach a wooden spoon side for 3 years and then become roadkill and get scapegoated when the supporters get restless and the Board has to make a change again for marketing reasons.

Universal industry consensus ……….
Maybe you and Honey Badger should take the rose coloured glasses off. Weren't both of you part of clique on here arguing for the last few years that there was no need for a rebuild, the list was in great shape, all the problems were just because of Covid and were going to self correct, then they were because of injuries and they were still going to self correct, and we were going to make the 8 in 2023 and everybody criticising Simpson was a reactionary bedwetter. You have been consistently wrong on the side of being wildy overly optimistic. Maybe try and correct for that, check your biases and try and see reality.

And you are using the pathetic Sanchez tactic of pulling a handful of words out of somebody's post and wanting to argue those, rather than take an actual position arguing the opposite because it is impossible to win a debate against people who won't actually state a position.

Lets go through it logically

Do you think the people on that list you put out think they will be able to even get the club out of the bottom 4 within 3 years with declining output and then retirement coming from the likes of Yeo, McGovern, Kelly, Barass etc on top of the problems we already have, let alone get the club into the top 8?

If the answer is No then do you think they will be unaware of the 90% plus casualty rate of relatively unknown assistants promoted to senior coach who don't get the club into the 8 by the end of their 3rd year? And if you fail at your first job you are 99% chance to not get offered another one unless you are a big name like Michael Voss.

If the answer is "No, they probably are aware of that", then put yourself in their shoes and ask yourself would you want to take a job with a club on a standard 3 year contract that has a wooden spoon list that hasn't even bottomed out yet, where the odds of making the 8 within 3 years are 0%, where historically a person in that position of not making the 8 gets the sack, gets branded a failure and doesn't get offered a senior job again?

If we advertise the job we will get somebody to take it but it might be our 6th or 8th choice we end up with unless we are prepared to give them a very lucrative contract that guarantees them more than 3 years to get results.

Maybe you and Honey Badger should take the rose coloured glasses off. Weren't both of you part of clique on here arguing for the last few years that there was no need for a rebuild, the list was in great shape, all the problems were just because of Covid and were going to self correct, then they were because of injuries and they were still going to self correct, and we were going to make the 8 in 2023 and everybody criticising Simpson was a reactionary bedwetter. You have been consistently wrong on the side of being wildy overly optimistic. Maybe try and correct for that, check your biases and try and see reality.
No, thanks for playing.

The gap between “burn everything to the ground” and “we will win the flag this year and Chesser is having the Brownlow” is one that most people in here land in, despite how cut and dry you’d like things to be and that won’t change no matter how often you invent arguments that people made.

I thought this “you love Simmo and don’t take a stance” rhetoric seemed familiar and a quick trip in the search history showed me it was. Just for a laugh, check out this post from July 2022 where you trotted out the same shit so I laid out my opinions directly to you in as plain English as anyone possibly could. Have a read through it, see if any of it offends you wildly and how it stacks up with where we’re at today.

Don’t look now, but I heard that windmill over there talking shit about you…

I wouldnt mind Bucks as coach - i think his FIGJAM levels might be quelled after the way he finished at the Pies. He is a good coach and he would do well with the current eagles

also, if he managed to get a flag with us, the melts that would come from most Victorian clubs would be delicious!
I’m interested in what a Buckley 2024 gameplan looks like, because it was very Eagles lite at stages throughout the 2018/19 era (with a bit of crossover of assistants too).

Has been around so hopefully he’s soaked up a lot of new stuff, I actually really rated him as a pretty savvy and far less FIGJAM operator in the final years. Looking after the Pies cheer squad on Grand Final day when he’s obviously got much bigger fish to fry was a pretty surprising moment that I thought was a pretty good tell of a person.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back