Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

90% plus casualty rate of relatively unknown assistants promoted to senior coach who don't get the club into the 8 by the end of their 3rd year? And if you fail at your first job you are 99% chance to not get offered another one unless you are a big name like Michael Voss.
I’m sure you are correct but I’m keen to see this data either way. How long did it take to put together?? Must have been a mission sifting through so many webpages

Would Buckley have won those close games though?

Collingwood are unbelievable in them under McRae/the umpires.

I think that Fly gives his players a free licence to back themselves in and play daring football.
The fact that the players do so would suggest that Fly doesn’t lambast his players if it goes pear shape.

Confidence is a powerful tool when rocking up to a game, that’s confidence is you own ability , your team mates ability, your game plan and confidence to dare to take the game on, even if that means risking not winning.

Well run and coaches team.

This back in the boys stuff has to end..

What has created this extreme downturn in performances due to lack of effort (minus the injury list issues) is the lack of pressure on players to perform due to the lack of a backup list to fill in.

With a good list, every position needs to have pressure to try and then somewhat perform.

We should be rotating all hot WAFL form players with one and other in and out of the afl team.

This back in the boys stuff has to end..

What has created this extreme downturn in performances due to lack of effort (minus the injury list issues) is the lack of pressure on players to perform due to the lack of a backup list to fill in.

With a good list, every position needs to have pressure to try and then somewhat perform.

We should be rotating all hot WAFL form players with one and other in and out of the afl team.
I wouldn't look at who had 30 and a goal on the weekend for the Beagles then...

Fact of the matter is a lot of the WAFL boys simply would not get in on form, only on prioritising youth (which is fine and good, we should be doing this).

But if form is the driver, get ready for In: A. Gaff

I think that Fly gives his players a free licence to back themselves in and play daring football.
The fact that the players do so would suggest that Fly doesn’t lambast his players if it goes pear shape.

Confidence is a powerful tool when rocking up to a game, that’s confidence is you own ability , your team mates ability, your game plan and confidence to dare to take the game on, even if that means risking not winning.

And this is the thing we simply are not seeing at West Coast. We don't see any thought to play on at all cost. We don't even see players after a free kick is given or a mark has been taken presenting as an option for a handball to play on quickly and put the defence under pressure. We are still so stop start.
You can bet when Fly took over he would of put in place that the ball simply never stops moving, we play on at all cost and that is how we will train and we will do it over and over until we get it right. We will accept some missed targets and some poor decisions but we will keep doing it because its how you put the opposition under the most pressure.
We need to be fit, and we need to be able to do gut running to break open the opponent.
The Pies didn't do this in 1 week of training but they did it quickly because it was the new game plan. Most clubs are trying to do it.
We are not even trying to do it. Why is the question?

As opposed to simpson telling off Chesser for kicking forward instead of backwards the other week when there was 30 seconds left before 3 quarter time as he was looking to possibly kick another goal.
No wonder he's been poor since.

This pissed me off no end and showed Simmos coaching style ina. Nutshell.
Kick backwards at all costs and defensiveness and no freedom to play on and take the game on.

I understand there have been many players this year taking the game on with good effect but it doesn't appear to be Simmos game plan generally.

As opposed to simpson telling off Chesser for kicking forward instead of backwards the other week when there was 30 seconds left before 3 quarter time as he was looking to possibly kick another goal.
No wonder he's been poor since.

This pissed me off no end and showed Simmos coaching style ina. Nutshell.
Kick backwards at all costs and defensiveness and no freedom to play on and take the game on.

I understand there have been many players this year taking the game on with good effect but it doesn't appear to be Simmos game plan generally.

That was Maric he told off.

At the rate we give up red time goals, it's probably important players don't try to take the game on in the last 2 minutes...

Not that that's what I want the players to do.

And this is the thing we simply are not seeing at West Coast. We don't see any thought to play on at all cost. We don't even see players after a free kick is given or a mark has been taken presenting as an option for a handball to play on quickly and put the defence under pressure. We are still so stop start.
You can bet when Fly took over he would of put in place that the ball simply never stops moving, we play on at all cost and that is how we will train and we will do it over and over until we get it right. We will accept some missed targets and some poor decisions but we will keep doing it because its how you put the opposition under the most pressure.
We need to be fit, and we need to be able to do gut running to break open the opponent.
The Pies didn't do this in 1 week of training but they did it quickly because it was the new game plan. Most clubs are trying to do it.
We are not even trying to do it. Why is the question?

Bingo - exactly. ✅

If you go back to the Fremantle and Melbourne game victories look at how we took the game on and split open their respective defences.

We have sadly retreated back into our shell, gone back to outdated play mode, with ******ed ball movement and slow tempo play.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only my thoughts but,
Yes, we played badly.
Don't underestimate Hawthorn, they are playing an excellent brand of footy and will worry the rest of the comp for the rest of the season.
Hopefully we saw what is needed for the rest of the season.

Yep, concentrating on being a media jock.

us: "hey buckley do you want to leave your cushy media job in melbourne to move to perth and be a head coach of a struggling side?"

buckley:

images

Only my thoughts but,
Yes, we played badly.
Don't underestimate Norf, they are playing an excellent brand of footy and will worry the rest of the comp for the rest of the season.

Only my thoughts but,
Yes, we played badly.
Don't underestimate St Kilda, they are playing an excellent brand of footy and will worry the rest of the comp for the rest of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back