Prediction Round 17, 2024: Changes vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

SImmo at press conference be like

"Yeah it was touch and go with Jakey all week. We gave him up until the final minute to prove his fitness. Unfortunately he has gangrene in the leg and its touch and go whether he will play again this year. We sent him home on a plane this morning with some apple juice and a handful of Nurofens. Which reminds me, I better remember to call him in August to see how he is going"

People are talking about how Hawthorn is further along in their rebuild, but don’t mention the fact that the reason they are ahead of us is because they dropped all their senior players by one or two, and just played a heap of kids even if they got smashed. They kept playing those kids to give them experience at AFL level, they kept taking the losses and while Mitchell was copping the criticism a while back, their team has been playing really well the last few weeks and people are saying “oh what a good idea”.

On the other hand, we are playing a bunch of old pricks and getting smashed. I know which way I’d rather be going.

People are talking about how Hawthorn is further along in their rebuild, but don’t mention the fact that the reason they are ahead of us is because they dropped all their senior players by one or two, and just played a heap of kids even if they got smashed. They kept playing those kids to give them experience at AFL level, they kept taking the losses and while Mitchell was copping the criticism a while back, their team has been playing really well the last few weeks and people are saying “oh what a good idea”.

On the other hand, we are playing a bunch of old pricks and getting smashed. I know which way I’d rather be going.
That's precisely the problem. Disgraceful that darling is still playing and gaff has received games. Barrass and Cripps should also be traded.

No, not pretty simple stuff. These rules do not seem to apply to Chesser and that's the whole point.
Why are you so desperate to play a small forward that’s in alright form on a wing at AFL level. Just let the bloke play the position in the wafl first to see if he can play it. You are making no point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darling must go. He is the past. Gaff and darling should be relegated to the twos and only elevated if we hit another injury crisis.
Not sure I'm getting the Gaff criticism. He was demoted to WAFL and has continued to try his guts out. Came back in the team after an injury. And back out again after not setting the world on fire.

I get the Sheed and Darling critcism, particularly Sheed as you can question if form or reputation has warranted their inclusion when selected.

If darling is playing to get him through to 300, then people need to lose their jobs. This is a team sport, with careers on the line and there is no place for selfish milestones. Simpson is the most prominent voice in team selection - simpson must go.
Simpson doesn't have time for milestones, said as much with Jake's Coleman. He expects any milestone player to put the team first.
There's a lot of bluster and wind on here and jumping at shadows, paranoia, trolls, propaganda merchants, cockeyed conspiracies and rancid speculation.
Everyone needs to calm the f* down!
(unless we get smashed tomorrow, then suit yourself?) :rolleyes:

Darling wants to play until 35 doesn't he? Don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon.

What Darling wants and what should actually happen are 2 diff things.

The bloke is putting up career low numbers across the board, is a liability most games and hasn't been an actual forward threat to the opposition in some time.

Now we've got Waterman in elite form, Oscar Allen, Maric lacking opportunity, Jack Williams floating around, the athletic Hutchinson, plus whatever dumb plan they think they've got for Bailey Williams, there is absolutely no need to be carrying a 33yr old Darling into 2025. Particularly if he reaches his 300 milestone this year.

Other than Kerr we definitely have a habit of holding onto club greats past their expiration date and I don't think even Simpson is dumb enough to do that with Darling this year, particularly with the spotlight on him and the fan revolt that would follow.

Rebuilding side actually means youth, not hanging onto past it seniors because of "leadership". That excuse has dried up.

The melts tomorrow if we lose badly will be a sight to behold. 6pr talk back will be exploding and Facebook Eagles groups will explode. Realistically Dee's have something to play for and we are dreadful away from home. I hope to be pleasantly surprised but I fear we are going to play like our form would suggest. I think I have started to develop Stockholm syndrome with Simmo and this team. I am still believing that synergy will happen despite the evidence to the contrary.

Why are you so desperate to play a small forward that’s in alright form on a wing at AFL level. Just let the bloke play the position in the wafl first to see if he can play it. You are making no point.

The better question is: why are you so desperate to play a guy who is clearly not in form and by all accouints should be playing WAFL? A few weeks back we had a poster here who was having a go at Chesser at every opportunity. Now you seem to be at the other extreme defending him (in all threads) even when some criticism is warranted.

I want other players to get the same opportunities that Chesser gets regularly and not the usual sub treatment. You have some funny logic - other players must first show that they can play that position but that same rule does not apply to Chesser. I sincerely hope that Chesser works out for us. Otherwise that's another first round pick down the drain which we can ill afford. However, the fact remains that in 29 AFL games he hasn't shown nearly as enough to justify that selection. He played 3 WAFL games (not 2 as you said in a previous post, at least try to get your facts correct) last year for returns of 16,15 and 19 disposals and he was in alright form when he was recalled to the senior side. He averaged 11 disposals last year and is averaging 10 disposals a game this year. Yet to get 20 disposals in the AFL or even the WAFL. Does n't matter which way you want to spin it, Chesser shouldn't have played all 15 games this year. It wouldn't have hurt if he was sent to WAFL at some point to find a bit of form.

Do you you think this red wing would be the same if Harley Reid played there? Obviously Reid is 20 times the player Chesser will ever be but my point is that in a squad of 40 odd players there could be some who might play this position better than Chesser if they were given the same chances.

Anyway I hope Chesser plays better tomorrow. I know you will be here defending his place for next week even if he doesn't play well.

The better question is: why are you so desperate to play a guy who is clearly not in form and by all accouints should be playing WAFL? A few weeks back we had a poster here who was having a go at Chesser at every opportunity. Now you seem to be at the other extreme defending him (in all threads) even when some criticism is warranted.

I want other players to get the same opportunities that Chesser gets regularly and not the usual sub treatment. You have some funny logic - other players must first show that they can play that position but that same rule does not apply to Chesser. I sincerely hope that Chesser works out for us. Otherwise that's another first round pick down the drain which we can ill afford. However, the fact remains that in 29 AFL games he hasn't shown nearly as enough to justify that selection. He played 3 WAFL games (not 2 as you said in a previous post, at least try to get your facts correct) last year for returns of 16,15 and 19 disposals and he was in alright form when he was recalled to the senior side. He averaged 11 disposals last year and is averaging 10 disposals a game this year. Yet to get 20 disposals in the AFL or even the WAFL. Does n't matter which way you want to spin it, Chesser shouldn't have played all 15 games this year. It wouldn't have hurt if he was sent to WAFL at some point to find a bit of form.

Do you you think this red wing would be the same if Harley Reid played there? Obviously Reid is 20 times the player Chesser will ever be but my point is that in a squad of 40 odd players there could be some who might play this position better than Chesser if they were given the same chances.

Anyway I hope Chesser plays better tomorrow. I know you will be here defending his place for next week even if he doesn't play well.
This is a massive amount of text to not answer any relevant points.

I don’t care about if he played two or three wafl games a year ago ffs. That is so far from relevant to anything that matters at the moment.

Chesser has struggled over the last two or three weeks. Never said he has played well.

Johnston, Burgiel havnt played well enough in the wafl on the wing over the last month to replace him. It’s as simple as that.

Maric was great today and hopefully will be selected on the other wing next week.

Your obsession with dropping Chesser for guys in mediocre form in the wafl / don’t play the position is just very strange. Do you actually watch the wafl each week?

If Burgiel had averaged 20 odd touches and not looked lazy in the wafl I would be happy for him to have a go. But unfortunately he hasn’t.

You have failed to identify two players in the wafl that should be getting games in the AFL on the wing that would push Chesser out of the side.

To be act like the above is an ‘extreme take’ is honestly ridiculous.

Not sure I'm getting the Gaff criticism. He was demoted to WAFL and has continued to try his guts out. Came back in the team after an injury. And back out again after not setting the world on fire.

I get the Sheed and Darling critcism, particularly Sheed as you can question if form or reputation has warranted their inclusion when selected.
He also found more of the ball than any other winger we've played.

🔒

Head here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back