Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone know if the commentators will be in that little white box on the northern mound like the Fox Sports commentators have been for the Redbacks games? Surely they could use some one of the spare boxes in the western stand.

The truth about Adelaide oval is they could have built Etihad for the money they are spending on a few stands they are ruining one of the great cricket grounds.
Adelaide is not a big city so i cannot understand why they are not tearing down football park now that is a rubbish ground.
The state government anyway has a lot to answer for as they are selling state owned forests in the south east putting many jobs in the region at risk, just to satisfy SACA.
The south east region has generated much of Adelaides income for many years so with the timber industry in trouble Adelaide can no longer steal our funds for themselves.

The truth about Adelaide oval is they could have built Etihad for the money they are spending on a few stands they are ruining one of the great cricket grounds.
Adelaide is not a big city so i cannot understand why they are not tearing down football park now that is a rubbish ground.
The state government anyway has a lot to answer for as they are selling state owned forests in the south east putting many jobs in the region at risk, just to satisfy SACA.
The south east region has generated much of Adelaides income for many years so with the timber industry in trouble Adelaide can no longer steal our funds for themselves.
I think TBH we're waaaaayyy past debating this stuff here - the thread has moved to looking forward, news and details and pictures of what's going to happen regardless of whether people like it. Thanks for your views though.

Anyone know if the commentators will be in that little white box on the northern mound like the Fox Sports commentators have been for the Redbacks games? Surely they could use some one of the spare boxes in the western stand.
Assuming so. I'm expecting either a few more white boxes for the international matches, or they'll commentate from there and have "off-air" facilities out the back or in the Western stand. They won't want to commentate from the Western stand as they have a far-from-optimal view of the play for commentary. The back of the northern end of that stand does have a press room though. I'll scout around if I go in to watch training tomorrow, or when I go on Thursday to the Test.

Sorry i missed that part just felt i had to say something everyone down here is very passionate on the issue as you may well understand.

Sorry i missed that part just felt i had to say something everyone down here is very passionate on the issue as you may well understand.
Yes I do. Remember though this is about the stadium, not the government's policies on forestry (as important as they are) :)
May I ask, where is "down here"?

Ahhh. That explains a lot :p
Hope you get a chance to come up and check out the new stadium from 2014. There won't be a roof over the playing field but the facilities will be as good as Etihad's - and 15 years newer! :)
Yes it is likely i will probably to see the cricket i really loved the old Adelaide oval but i suppose that's progress.

well you start with being patently wrong. Etihad now would cost much closer to $800M and possibly out to $1B given the price of steel, etc have skyrocketed since 1999, much faster than general CPI.

2nd, most of football park will be gone in due course and turned into housing etc. the SANFL will use it as a large suburban ground and it's main purpose as the Crows training base.

how are the state govt pandering to the SACA by selling off state forests. I have worked for a Treasury, it is perfectly possible to spend ALL of the revenue on Health, Education and Police, let alone public works, national parks etc. Governments have to make decisions on what and when they spend their money and decisions on the utility of that spending. in this case they have made a decision to spend some money (not much really) on a project that has the possibility to improve public utility and use of a part of Adelaide that has been strangely ignored up to this point. There will be significant industry multiplier effects for construction as well as those effects more generally.

The SA govt spend 66% of their budget on Health,Education and Policing now. over the 2.5 yrs of the project the SA government will spend close to $40B. so the Adelaide oval will cost about 1.25% of the budget. over the same period they'll spend about about $12.4B on health, and $10B on Education and $4B on public safety.

wrecking of the AO is personal view, I suspect all the users, both footy and cricket will enjoy the much improved facilities for both players and spectators.

well you start with being patently wrong. Etihad now would cost much closer to $800M and possibly out to $1B given the price of steel, etc have skyrocketed since 1999, much faster than general CPI.

2nd, most of football park will be gone in due course and turned into housing etc. the SANFL will use it as a large suburban ground and it's main purpose as the Crows training base.

how are the state govt pandering to the SACA by selling off state forests. I have worked for a Treasury, it is perfectly possible to spend ALL of the revenue on Health, Education and Police, let alone public works, national parks etc. Governments have to make decisions on what and when they spend their money and decisions on the utility of that spending. in this case they have made a decision to spend some money (not much really) on a project that has the possibility to improve public utility and use of a part of Adelaide that has been strangely ignored up to this point. There will be significant industry multiplier effects for construction as well as those effects more generally.

The SA govt spend 66% of their budget on Health,Education and Policing now. over the 2.5 yrs of the project the SA government will spend close to $40B. so the Adelaide oval will cost about 1.25% of the budget. over the same period they'll spend about about $12.4B on health, and $10B on Education and $4B on public safety.

wrecking of the AO is personal view, I suspect all the users, both footy and cricket will enjoy the much improved facilities for both players and spectators.
Mate i dont give a toss what there budget is they are selling our forests to pay for this fact, funnily enough its not your friends and relatives livelihoods at risk if you want to look at budgets have a look at how much revenue this region generates for the state and the returns it gets that will shut you up.

Assuming so. I'm expecting either a few more white boxes for the international matches, or they'll commentate from there and have "off-air" facilities out the back or in the Western stand. They won't want to commentate from the Western stand as they have a far-from-optimal view of the play for commentary. The back of the northern end of that stand does have a press room though. I'll scout around if I go in to watch training tomorrow, or when I go on Thursday to the Test.
I wouldn't really call the back of the northern mound in a little box optimal viewing either ;)

But I suppose in cricket commentators are usually down the end of the ground rather than side on so this is their best option.

I wouldn't really call the back of the northern mound in a little box optimal viewing either ;)

But I suppose in cricket commentators are usually down the end of the ground rather than side on so this is their best option.
Yeah, they can't get them high enough to put them directly behind the bowler's arm, behind the sight screen, like usual. This angle is still much better than sitting square for commentators.
I remember the first ever ODIs at Docklands in Melbourne they used the footy comm boxes which are on the wing, the commentators hated it. For the SuperSeries in 2005 they used a corporate box at the Lockett end for commentary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, they can't get them high enough to put them directly behind the bowler's arm, behind the sight screen, like usual. This angle is still much better than sitting square for commentators.
I remember the first ever ODIs at Docklands in Melbourne they used the footy comm boxes which are on the wing, the commentators hated it. For the SuperSeries in 2005 they used a corporate box at the Lockett end for commentary.
I admire your memory.

Yes it is likely i will probably to see the cricket i really loved the old Adelaide oval but i suppose that's progress.
I really loved the old AO too, but I also disliked a fair number of things about it. IMO benefits of this stadium (in sports playing/spectating terms) outweigh the drawbacks. Like now in the Western stand there are more seats square of the wicket and the urinals in the men's loos aren't just walls with a gutter along the bottom :p

So went to the Oval this afternoon to have a look around during the South Africa training session.
Nope.
They trained this morning, which is not the information put out by SACA or the newspaper. No public access.
I'll have a look around tomorrow with 20,000 other people instead. Damn.

So, dropped into AO yesterday for a gander, last look before the Test most likely
The Southern Stand is beginning to look like it will be a stand:
southerngrandstand.jpg

They've really made some ground on the southern stand. There is only one large beam for the 2nd tier in this photo. But now there are 14 or 15 done.

I really loved the old AO too, but I also disliked a fair number of things about it. IMO benefits of this stadium (in sports playing/spectating terms) outweigh the drawbacks. Like now in the Western stand there are more seats square of the wicket and the urinals in the men's loos aren't just walls with a gutter along the bottom :p
How much have the facilities improved over there?
I've only gone into the members once and that was for an SANFL vs VFL game in about 2009.
With what they had then, I could imagine when sold out for tests, it'd be a huge wait for food/alcohol, have those facilities improved at all with the new stand? And if so, are they adequate?

How much have the facilities improved over there?
I've only gone into the members once and that was for an SANFL vs VFL game in about 2009.
With what they had then, I could imagine when sold out for tests, it'd be a huge wait for food/alcohol, have those facilities improved at all with the new stand? And if so, are they adequate?
The facilities for food/alcohol which are built into the stand are designed to cope with a much smaller crowd than the stand holds. But when the stand has a lot of people in it they have the Village Green with more food/alcohol and toilets. This covers much of #2 Oval.
For AFL I'd imagine they'd have facilities out there similar to what they've had for T20 games - given the crowd in the Western stand would be similar size and the similar time-length of matches. Don't need to cater for breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea for an AFL game like for a Test.

Ahk, never saw the extra ammenities.
Would the food, alcohol and toilet facilities be able to cope with the rush at the breaks?
Do you know what facilities will be like in the Eastern Stand?

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back