Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm still not sure that those dimensions are right.
My SACA member handbook 2 summers ago said it was 190.2 x 130.2 fence-to-fence
Take space for between the boundary and the fence (5m wing, 8m behind the goals) and I'd be expecting a playing field approx 175 x 120m. Pretty much the same a Subiaco.
Watching the redevelopment, and with the knowledge that the finished oval is supposed to retain things like the approximate size the ground has always had (curving of the western boundary during the redevelopment of that side of the ground not withstanding), I'd be very surprised if they cut 30m off the size of the oval, or had the goals in that far from the fence. Remember the AFL match there end of 2011 - goals a "normal" distance from the fence.

It is doubtful that they would state dimensions of the AFL playing field seeing this is a footy and cricket oval. You could expect dimensions for AFL of 157 x 113.

It is doubtful that they would state dimensions of the AFL playing field seeing this is a footy and cricket oval. You could expect dimensions for AFL of 157 x 113.
On the map posted before they've stated the size of the oval. I just can't see how it is that size when it was so much bigger before and the basic size hasn't changed.

On a ground approx 190 x 130m, with 5m space either side and 8m space behind the goals, you'd get 176 x 120m.

How's it f#%k up when the dimensions of the Adelaide Oval (167.05 x 123.93) are virtually the same as Etihad Stadium? I mean the Adelaide Oval's a bit longer and slightly narrower but what's the big deal?

They've been playing Footy and Cricket there for over 100 years on a funny shaped ground that once had a square fence on the old western side due to an old bike track that used to encircle the oval and it was still fine! Now with the new grand stand redevelopments around the entire ground we're going to have a perfectly shaped Football/Cricket oval with dimensions more or less the same as any major AFL ground around Australia!

Etihad Stadium
Ground dimensions: 159.5 metres x 128.8 metres

It's bigger than ANZ Stadium
Ground dimensions: 160 metres x 118 metres

And virtually the same as Skoda Stadium..
Ground dimensions: 164 metres x 123 metres

http://www.freebookiebets.com.au/afl_football_grounds.htm

According to Wikipedia, the grassed area of Etihad is 170m x 140m. What you quoted, is I believe the dimension of the boundary. So depending on what this link is referring to, The new Adelaide Oval may be nearly 20m narrower than Etihad and 25m narrower than Footy Park. That is a hell of a reduction in the size of the playing surface.

According to Wikipedia, the grassed area of Etihad is 170m x 140m. What you quoted, is I believe the dimension of the boundary. So depending on what this link is referring to, The new Adelaide Oval may be nearly 20m narrower than Etihad and 25m narrower than Footy Park. That is a hell of a reduction in the size of the playing surface.
It's not a reduction at all because the playing surface was never bigger at AO.
It's not an eff-up. That would be putting the goals on the eastern and western sides - making the ground only 125m long and 175m wide.
It's hardly an eff-up if you decide to move to a ground and upgrade it, and the ground has pretty similar dimensions to Subiaco Oval. Everybody knows the ground is a kick longer, and it doesn't have deep flanks.

I maintain AO will be approx 176 x 120m boundaries. According to the link Etihad is 159.5 x 128.8. So not that much narrower, just seems so coz there's an extra 16m of length.

Our current home ground is Footy Park. Next year our home ground is Adelaide Oval. If you had read all of my post you quoted, you will see that we will be moving to a ground that is 25m narrower than than the current one. That is a significant reduction in the size of our home ground. When you consider that both Melbourne grounds will be a lot wider, then I consider this a fcuk up and the SMA know it. That is why the ground dimensions have not been freely available.

Our current home ground is Footy Park. Next year our home ground is Adelaide Oval. If you had read all of my post you quoted, you will see that we will be moving to a ground that is 25m narrower than than the current one. That is a significant reduction in the size of our home ground. When you consider that both Melbourne grounds will be a lot wider, then I consider this a fcuk up and the SMA know it. That is why the ground dimensions have not been freely available.

They way I see it, visiting sides will feel quite restricted by the dimensions, while we will be used to it.

When we play on the MCG, it will feel quite liberating space wise.

Added home ground advantage. :thumbsu:

The SMA know you consider it a fcuk up? :p
Seriosusly tho.
The dimensions of the ground haven't been freely available because they're not going to change drastically.
What's wrong with changing ground size?
West Coast and Freo also have a long thin ground and it doesn't seem to be any big problem when they play at the MCG. Other teams have to adjust for the 1 or 2 games they play at Subi each year. Same with adjusting to play at the SCG because its short and wide.

Southern stand level 2 seating
e3783c64e83611e289a922000aeb0c69_7.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

are they upgrading the screen to a higher def screen to match the 2 new ones?

also possibly no need for quite so much structure now. the screens are very light now.

Just noticed in my set of pictures that the the video screen at the northern end is gone.

7FF8E622-960F-492D-85DA-B606376040CF-1490-00000110A35B49EF.jpg

When was this taken away? Am I just really slow off the mark to only notice this now?!

I always thought that the black structure in this picture was going to form the basis for the new Northern video screen.

Regardless, this will be a great stadium. I've been to Wembley, MetLife, Yankee Stadium, The Emirates, you name it, and this stadium looks like it will rival them in terms of quality and spectator experience. It will look spectacular too.

You'd hope so when the Oval is costing between $10-15000 per seat to build!

I always thought that the black structure in this picture was going to form the basis for the new Northern video screen.

Regardless, this will be a great stadium. I've been to Wembley, MetLife, Yankee Stadium, The Emirates, you name it, and this stadium looks like it will rival them in terms of quality and spectator experience. It will look spectacular too.

You'd hope so when the Oval is costing between $10-15000 per seat to build!

I presumed it was for tv cameras.. You would think they'd put the new video screen in the same spot as the old one

I presumed it was for tv cameras.. You would think they'd put the new video screen in the same spot as the old one

It is used for that, but the size of the structure makes it look like a video screen will go there.

The oval will look a bit strange if the scoreboard is offset. Symmetry is a good thing.

Video screen will be bigger and better in similar location as the old one.
The camera gantry is just that - a camera gantry.
I have a feeling there'll be a video screen in each corner. If not, one on the hill will still be the same position as the old one.

Just noticed in my set of pictures that the the video screen at the northern end is gone.

7FF8E622-960F-492D-85DA-B606376040CF-1490-00000110A35B49EF.jpg

When was this taken away? Am I just really slow off the mark to only notice this now?!

They was starting to take it down from about June 17.

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back