Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Its a shame that it couldn't have been fully ready for the ASHES. Just to ease the fears of cricket traditionalists, a packed out ASHES crowd unveiling to a world audience would have been awesome.
Would have been great. It was, I believe, the initial aim. Then a couple of things happened.
1) There were delays getting started, can't remember exactly what went on there
2) The Ashes was brought forward a year so that it wasn't directly before the World Cup every time (hence the upcoming SuperAshes series).
They've done alright though. Capacity will be slightly higher than pre-reconstruction (when we had the Western, Bradman, Clem Hill and Chappell Stands). Better than reduced capacity...just not increased capacity!

i wondering why they can't do what they have done in sydney. part of the bottom tier is open now in sydney and people are funnelled in from the sides.

it wouldn't be the full Eastern stand experience but it would add capacity, but it would be way more complete than the new Noble/Bradman stand is currently

obligatory photo
073.jpg

i wondering why they can't do what they have done in sydney. part of the bottom tier is open now in sydney and people are funnelled in from the sides.

it wouldn't be the full Eastern stand experience but it would add capacity, but it would be way more complete than the new Noble/Bradman stand is currently

obligatory photo
073.jpg
They may well do that. But they will announce it closer to the time, when they know how much they can use and have it safety assessed.

obligatory photo
073.jpg

They won't do that as they have a tight schedule to have that stand fully ready for AFL next year.

They won't do that as they have a tight schedule to have that stand fully ready for AFL next year.
That new SCG stand is due for completion in December ready for this yrs ashes test. Doesn't seem to be stopping them

The eastern side of the ao will be down to putting in the interior finishes and the seats. Heavy construction should be finished and will certainly be a long long way more advanced than the SCG currently is.

It all depends on how safe it is. If you have to provide hard-hats to every patron it's simply not viable. Stopping work for a footy game takes half a days' work being re-scheduled. Stopping for the Test takes 5 days out of action. It might not be viable because of WHEN they'd be doing it.

Did channel 9 really question Koutsantonis because the construction companies denied them access to the ground for a few months :rolleyes:

I found that part funny "exclusive access" to get on the hill. It's open to everyone and is easily accessible as I and many others have taken photos from inside the stadium

I remember watching on TV and thinking "**** that Western Stand is big!" You can see just how much bigger the other two stands are compared to it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'll look spectacular when finished, might have to make the journey over there if the Dogs are drawn to play Adelaide/Port there next season.

2 at the southern end between the southern stand/Western stand and between the Southern stand/Eastern stand.
1 on the northern mound
2 on the outside of the Southern stand/plaza

Cool. Thanks.

Will they be up and ready for the cricket this year, footy next year or when?

Do you know?

Cool. Thanks.

Will they be up and ready for the cricket this year, footy next year or when?

Do you know?

I reckon all will be up for the cricket bar the one between the southern/eastern as work will be ongoing still. All guess work on my behalf but it makes sense :)

You can see in this picture one on the outside southern stand
473794-adelaide-oval-redevelopment.jpg

Also here between the southern/eastern and on the hill

the 2 external southern stand

Heard Rooch (yeah, yeah, I know) saying the other day it truely will be one of the best grounds in the world. That glass bit you can see at the back of the southern stand is apparently a huge open area, perfect for after match celebrations that looks back over the city.

Was probably covered already in this thread, but can't be arsed...

Will AFL pre-season games/NAB Cup games still be played at AAMI or at AO. Any clashes with cricket?

Most likely at AAMI short term while the stands are still up.

Long term, I'd be surprised if there is a NAB Cup so trial matches could be played at suburban grounds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back