Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Most likely at AAMI short term while the stands are still up.

Long term, I'd be surprised if there is a NAB Cup so trial matches could be played at suburban grounds.
Would love to see Power trial games at Alberton. Crows at Norwood/Richmond/Thebarton or somewhere central-ish.

Would love to see Power trial games at Alberton. Crows at Norwood/Richmond/Thebarton or somewhere central-ish.

Norwood would struggle to cope with a 6000+ crowd you'd get at a trial match, but Richmond and Thebby would be great options - and Thebby's been used in the past as well.

Norwood would struggle to cope with a 6000+ crowd you get at a trial match, but Richmond and Thebby would be great options - and Thebby's been used in the past as well.
Norwood comfortably holds 6-7,000 on Friday Nights for Redlegs home games. They get bigger crowds than West Adelaide do on a regular basis (Westies average closer to 3,000, Norwood 5,000). Would love to see Norwood hosting - we can all head to the Parade for a beer afterwards!

Norwood comfortably holds 6-7,000 on Friday Nights for Redlegs home games. They get bigger crowds than West Adelaide do on a regular basis (Westies average closer to 3,000, Norwood 5,000). Would love to see Norwood hosting - we can all head to the Parade for a beer afterwards!

I've been to the Parade when there have been 16,000.

Norwood would struggle to cope with a 6000+ crowd you'd get at a trial match, but Richmond and Thebby would be great options - and Thebby's been used in the past as well.

Pretty sure Friday nights at The Parade regularly draw 8,000+. Ground can easily cope.

Best footy ground in Australia too IMO.

Pretty sure Friday nights at The Parade regularly draw 8,000+. Ground can easily cope.

Best footy ground in Australia too IMO.
Rd 1 Thurs (n) - 7,560 (Port)
Rd 4 Fri (n) - 4,663 (Eagles)
Rd 5 Thurs - 6,038 (West - ANZAC Day)
Rd 9 Fri (n) - 2,321(Sturt)

Perfect crowd for that venue is 4,000. Anymore and it's cramping (unless you want to sit in the uncomfortable southern stand). Any less and the atmosphere is shithouse.

Rd 1 Thurs (n) - 7,560 (Port)
Rd 4 Fri (n) - 4,663 (Eagles)
Rd 5 Thurs - 6,038 (West - ANZAC Day)
Rd 9 Fri (n) - 2,321(Sturt)

That doesn't mean it's at capacity. Have been there plenty of times with an 8,000+ crowd, and it hasn't felt "too cramped" at all.

Norwood 2012
Rd 3 Sat (a) - 3,469 (Eagles)
Rd 6 Fri (n) - 5,021 (North)
Rd 7 Fri (n) - 5,551 (Glenelg)
Rd 8 Fri (n) - 4,641 (West)
Rd 12 Sun (a) - 3,568 (Glenelg)
Rd 15 Sun (a) - 6,353 (Centrals)
Rd 18 Fri (n) - 6,050 (Port)
Rd 19 Fri (n) - 4,663 (Sturt)
Rd 20 Fri (n) - 3,139 (South)
Rd 22 Sat (a) - 2,886 (Eagles)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jee, that is narrow. With out checking, I would say that would be the 2nd narrowest ground after Geelong's. IMO this is very unfortunate, and a major fcuk up!
How is it a **** up? Not like the width of the ground has changed dramatically in the last 100+ years!

How is it a **** up? Not like the width of the ground has changed dramatically in the last 100+ years!
The ground has been completely rebuilt. If that is not the time make it wider when is? To have a home ground that is not even close to the width of the two Melbourne grounds is a fcuk up.

The ground has been completely rebuilt. If that is not the time make it wider when is? To have a home ground that is not even close to the width of the two Melbourne grounds is a fcuk up.
Why though? It creates a home ground advantage. They play in Melbourne often enough that they don't need an MCG/Etihad-size ground here too. Part of Aussie Rules is adapting to different grounds.

I'm pretty sure the Crows got 10,000 plus at the old pre season game at Norwood oval in very early February between 2000 and 2007.

Jee, that is narrow. With out checking, I would say that would be the 2nd narrowest ground after Geelong's. IMO this is very unfortunate, and a major fcuk up!
Fcuk up?
The current dimensions are what make the cricket games unique. Keep it I say (And that's coming from someone who hasn't given a shit about cricket since ~2007)

Fcuk up?
The current dimensions are what make the cricket games unique. Keep it I say (And that's coming from someone who hasn't given a shit about cricket since ~2007)

Yep, and should provide a unique home ground advantage. Not to mention that for spectators in the steep eastern stand it will be a great, close to action view.

How's it f#%k up when the dimensions of the Adelaide Oval (167.05 x 123.93) are virtually the same as Etihad Stadium? I mean the Adelaide Oval's a bit longer and slightly narrower but what's the big deal?

They've been playing Footy and Cricket there for over 100 years on a funny shaped ground that once had a square fence on the old western side due to an old bike track that used to encircle the oval and it was still fine! Now with the new grand stand redevelopments around the entire ground we're going to have a perfectly shaped Football/Cricket oval with dimensions more or less the same as any major AFL ground around Australia!

Etihad Stadium
Ground dimensions: 159.5 metres x 128.8 metres

It's bigger than ANZ Stadium
Ground dimensions: 160 metres x 118 metres

And virtually the same as Skoda Stadium..
Ground dimensions: 164 metres x 123 metres

http://www.freebookiebets.com.au/afl_football_grounds.htm

I'm still not sure that those dimensions are right.
My SACA member handbook 2 summers ago said it was 190.2 x 130.2 fence-to-fence
Take space for between the boundary and the fence (5m wing, 8m behind the goals) and I'd be expecting a playing field approx 175 x 120m. Pretty much the same a Subiaco.
Watching the redevelopment, and with the knowledge that the finished oval is supposed to retain things like the approximate size the ground has always had (curving of the western boundary during the redevelopment of that side of the ground not withstanding), I'd be very surprised if they cut 30m off the size of the oval, or had the goals in that far from the fence. Remember the AFL match there end of 2011 - goals a "normal" distance from the fence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back