Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...ed-adelaide-oval/story-fnia3gmi-1226718067123

So there have been statues donated to be made of Blight, Ebert, Farmer, Robran and Jason Gillespie, George Griffen, Clem Hill to go with the already made Boof and already in place Bradman.

This will be good to have like at the G.

Interesting line in the article is with stands to be named soon, players with statues will not be used for stands.

So with some of the biggest names in each code ruled out, who gets the stand names.

Note: Bradman isnt mentioned in the article as his status has been in place a number of years so unsure if he is included in that one or the other situation.

Assuming footballers/cricketers are used it will be interesting with footballers if they use port/crows players/coaches if they do a dual name (eg the McLeoud-Wanganeen Stand, Cornes-Cahill Stand) so it suits both clubs when they are there.

You'd imagine the large southern stand will be renamed The Bradman Stand once again.

I don't know if they will be re-installing the Vic Richardson Gates? If not, the middle stand on the Eastern side could be the Vic Richardson Stand with the Greg Chappell Stand on one side and Ian Chappell Stand on the other.

Other notable cricket names would be Hookes, Favell, Grimmett, Hawke, Jarman.

Pretty hard to go past Robran, Ebert, Blight, Farmer as football names. Would've been appropriate to have a stand named after Robran IMO.

Not sure it would be fitting for Ricciuto, Wanganeen, McLeod, Tredrea, Platten etc. to have a stand named after them in front of the 4 statues. Especially seeing none of those would've played more than a handful of games on Adelaide Oval.

You'd imagine the large southern stand will be renamed The Bradman Stand once again.

I don't know if they will be re-installing the Vic Richardson Gates? If not, the middle stand on the Eastern side could be the Vic Richardson Stand with the Greg Chappell Stand on one side and Ian Chappell Stand on the other.

Bradman already has a statue, and they've already said statue or stand, not both.

Vic Richardson Gates are definitely being reinstated.

I think David Hookes Hill has a nice ring to it

Pretty hard to go past Robran, Ebert, Blight, Farmer as football names. Would've been appropriate to have a stand named after Robran IMO.

Not sure it would be fitting for Ricciuto, Wanganeen, McLeod, Tredrea, Platten etc. to have a stand named after them in front of the 4 statues. Especially seeing none of those would've played more than a handful of games on Adelaide Oval.
Please make it so.

Should have built a brand new indoor stadium over the rail yards to the west of the Morphett street bridge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Please provide logic.
Or is this all because you want a roof? :rolleyes:

The replay screen is GIANT!!!
As big as the scoreboard!
:D
ejubuzap.jpg

The replay screen is GIANT!!!
As big as the scoreboard!
:D
ejubuzap.jpg

Looks like there might be *shock* some decent leg-room between the seats too.

Cannot stand having my knees press up against the back of the seats in front of me at AAMI, and having to get into a yoga pose anytime someone wants to move past down the aisle.

Please make it so.

Would most likely be of the Barry variety, rather than Andrew or Darren.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like there might be *shock* some decent leg-room between the seats too.

Cannot stand having my knees press up against the back of the seats in front of me at AAMI, and having to get into a yoga pose anytime someone wants to move past down the aisle.

Would most likely be of the Barry variety, rather than Andrew or Darren.
Yeah the new seats (anything installed post-Chappell stands) is pretty decent. On the hill concourse, the further back you go the slightly more legroom you get, too.
Tried them out a bit last summer, just in a Shield match, moved around a bit and they're pretty good space-wise. Good view too.

Chappell and Bradman stand would be a lock you'd reckon. If they give a couple of footy ones which they will, surely Fos Williams would have to be one of them?
I'll throw up if they call one the Basheer stand but worse, Leigh might even name one after himself!
I actually doubt there will be a stand named after a football player.
Look at the SCG, after how many years and there still isn't anything for Swans? No Kelly stand, no Lockett stand, no nothing. I believe AO will be the same. As much as I want a bradman stand and chappell hill and Ebert Stan and Robran Stand. I realise it's not going to happen.

From recent developments, I think AO will be a cross between the SCG and MCG. All the stands are named after cricket people (SCG) while respecting people of all sports who played there with statues (MCG)

I actually doubt there will be a stand named after a football player.
Look at the SCG, after how many years and there still isn't anything for Swans? No Kelly stand, no Lockett stand, no nothing. I believe AO will be the same. As much as I want a bradman stand and chappell hill and Ebert Stan and Robran Stand. I realise it's not going to happen.

From recent developments, I think AO will be a cross between the SCG and MCG. All the stands are named after cricket people (SCG) while respecting people of all sports who played there with statues (MCG)

I actually think they will have footy named stands. This is very much a 50/50 partnership. It isn't the SACA anymore, it's the SMA that runs the ground which again is a 50/50 partnership. The MCG is different as the MCC are still the custodians of the ground, I assume the SCG is the same. Depending on whether they carve up the stands (ie like the 3 names on the old members) I would suggest there would be atleast 2-3 Footy named stands. Fos Williams is a no brainer from a Port perpective, who they choose from the Crows is perhaps harder to guess. Then I'd suggest they might also have someone like Oatey as well or even Basheer (which would be a travesty).

Might the stands even have Footy Names and Cricket Names?
So in Summer it's the Blewett Stand, in Winter it's the Modra Stand?

Might the stands even have Footy Names and Cricket Names?
So in Summer it's the Blewett Stand, in Winter it's the Modra Stand?
I like that idea, and PapaG. I suspect they'd go with someone who has a history with the oval so I doubt any Crow players/officials would get a stand.

I'm willing to go with sanfl players actually.

Western - Robran
Southern - Farmer
Eastern - Ebert
Northern - Evans

ps. That's if HTP's suggestion comes to fruition

Though, watch Glenelg/Norwood/Sturt/Centrals/West/South/WWT complain that it's all Port-North. Well, sorry guys, 2 best players ever get the wings, 2 best goal kickers ever get the ends.

I like that idea, and PapaG. I suspect they'd go with someone who has a history with the oval so I doubt any Crow players/officials would get a stand.

I'm willing to go with sanfl players actually.

Western - Robran
Southern - Farmer
Eastern - Ebert
Northern - Evans

ps. That's if HTP's suggestion comes to fruition

Though, watch Glenelg/Norwood/Sturt/Centrals/West/South/WWT complain that it's all Port-North. Well, sorry guys, 2 best players ever get the wings, 2 best goal kickers ever get the ends.

if the comments about the people with statues not having stands is true then you need to rename your wings...

Adelaide isn't big enough to support 2 city stadiums. It was an insane plan then, and that insanity has only increased with the power of hindsight.

Purely on population, that is not true.

Boston Massachussets has (on 2011 figures) 687,800

Fenway Park (Boston Redsox cap 36,000) Boston CBD
Gillette Stadium (New England Patriots cap 68,000) about 22 miles from the Boston CBD in the suburb of Foxboro.

NOw I grant that Gillette Stadium is a bit of a hike from the CBD, but he reasons it was built there are purely political as it was initially planned to build a "Megaplex" in Boston to house stadia for the Red sox and the Patriots but was eventually dismissed due to public pressure to retain the originalFenway park stadium.

if the comments about the people with statues not having stands is true then you need to rename your wings...

Agree. Get a statue, no stand.

That's why I think Bradman and Chappell is a monty. Perhaps another cricketer and then 3 footballers. Reckon Fos Williams is almost a lock. I think there will be a massive outcry if there is no Crows representation, but struggle to work out who it will be. Blight was perhaps the obvious one, but he has a statue. Surely it couldn't be Gra Gra could it? Roo, McLeod or Bickley are the only others that would be a chance. Then maybe a SANFL great which could include an administrator ie Brebner or Basheer, or Oatey or maybe Neil Kerley. Can't think of anybody else.

Gillette Stadium (New England Patriots cap 68,000) about 22 miles from the Boston CBD in the suburb of Foxboro.

NOw I grant that Gillette Stadium is a bit of a hike from the CBD, but he reasons it was built there are purely political as it was initially planned to build a "Megaplex" in Boston to house stadia for the Red sox and the Patriots but was eventually dismissed due to public pressure to retain the originalFenway park stadium.

Baseball and Gridiron grounds, not exactly any choice but to build separate stadiums now then is there

Correct me if I'm wrong but one of these is a baseball stadium, the other is a football stadium.
Brisbane has 'Gabba (football/cricket) and Suncorp (rugby/soccer) - as the playing fields are different shapes.
Adelaide doesn't have any sport of non-oval field that requires a capacity 30-50,000.

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back