Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointing Basheer gets a stand name after him and Whicker also gets something but not entirely unexpected, hard to argue with the rest although I never thought Peter Carey was a great of the game

has anyone got the full list of names?

ive found a few articles saying 25 footballers will be honoured but gives hints at who/what are named but not specifically outline the stands.

The one that seems it may include it needs a fully paid up subscription

Disappointing Basheer gets a stand name after him and Whicker also gets something but not entirely unexpected, hard to argue with the rest although I never thought Peter Carey was a great of the game

• Premiership Player 1973, 1985-86 (Captain 85-86)
  • Best on Ground 1973 Grand Final - 6 goals
  • Best & Fairest 1975, 1979, 1981
  • All Australian 1979, 1980
  • SANFL Games Record Holder (448, 1971-88)
  • 19 State Games
  • Inaugural Fos William Medal Winner 1981
  • SA Hall of Fame - Inaugural inductee 2002
  • Australian Football Halll of fame inductee 2009

He wasn't just great he was SUPER!

ADELAIDE OVAL

353610-adelaide-oval.jpg

Opened: 1871​

Owner: SACA​

Operator: Adelaide Oval Stadium Management Authority​

First Hosted AFL Matches: 2014 (One-off match in 2011)​

Capacity: 50,000 seated, plus standing room (after 2011-14 redevelopment)​

Record Crowd (SANFL): 62,543 - Port Adelaide v Sturt, Grand Final 1965​
do you know the ground dimensions for afl on adelaide oval

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure that would be boundaries - the oval itself is 130m wide and 190m long.
is that a change on the old dementions of the old Adelaide oval. m not sure what the exact measurement where but it was really short square of the wicket and ultra long down the ground

is that a change on the old dementions of the old Adelaide oval. m not sure what the exact measurement where but it was really short square of the wicket and ultra long down the ground

The square boundaries have bee widened a little. The wings were very straight and the pockets were very deep. The ground has been, to quote SACA, "ovalised"

The square boundaries have bee widened a little. The wings were very straight and the pockets were very deep. The ground has been, to quote SACA, "ovalised"
The ground was "ovalised" during the Western Stand redevelopment - that was the side with the straight-line square boundary which was the vertical stroke on a D-shaped ground.
Dimensions after current works would change minutely in some places I'd assume but nothing major at all.

Went to Adelaide Oval today for the 1st time since the 2008 (maybe '09?) SANFL vs VFL game where Clint Alleway was best afield.
Southern Stand looks epic!, same as the new Northern scoreboard!
I'm starting to see what people think of a "soulless stadium" but I view it more on an intimidation level. I walk into the SCG, into the GABBA and even into ANZ Stadium. It just feels like a block of concrete.

Adelaide Oval feels like the MCG. You just feel intimidated by the sheer size of the stands upon arrival.

Looked around the northern end a bit.
hitthepost - You showed photos of the old concrete sections at the northern end, with the positioning, the 4 central ones are almost certainly to be the footing for the goalposts. I walked in a straight line behind the goal and between the 2nd and 3rd pots was 7.5 steps, being 6'6'' that's about the width of the goal area, while the ones to the side are man holes for stuff underground. Be it controls, or a tunnel.

The new concrete slab behind the goal, I'm undecided. It's probably for the behind the goal nets as seen at the MCG, but it doesn't cover the whole area behind the goals. It stops about 2 metres from each behind post. If it were 3-4 metres longer on each end i'd instantly say it's for a retractable net, but I'm unsure. Not sure on what else it could be though.

Tried to sneak into elsewhere on the field, but after 30m someone saw me and made me leave :(

The new concrete slab behind the goal, I'm undecided. It's probably for the behind the goal nets as seen at the MCG, but it doesn't cover the whole area behind the goals. It stops about 2 metres from each behind post. If it were 3-4 metres longer on each end i'd instantly say it's for a retractable net, but I'm unsure. Not sure on what else it could be though.
Thinking it's a sight-screen area

Thinking it's a sight-screen area
As in for cricket?
I doubt that, doesn't go the entire width of the pitch area.
If there's a game playing off one of the wider pitches, this wont cover it.
It's weird.

As in for cricket?
I doubt that, doesn't go the entire width of the pitch area.
If there's a game playing off one of the wider pitches, this wont cover it.
It's weird.
How often do you play a Test where you need a rotating advertising board on pitch #1 or #8?

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back