Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Found this

943336_10151704890492078_2115259059_n.jpg

Stunning. Can't wait to get a look at it.

Norwood had their chance and they blew it. It is not going to happen.

What was the go with this? A bit like the East Perth proposal?

I think the AFL realises how volatile promotions are. Port were massive and are far from a juggernaut – they're not even the biggest club in their own city. Clubs will comparatively lesser support but just as much non-support would shrivel and be useless.

There'll always be people who associate with interstate or no clubs. Pandering to that tiny percentage is just illogical.

I think the AFL realises how volatile promotions are. Port were massive and are far from a juggernaut – they're not even the biggest club in their own city. Clubs will comparatively lesser support but just as much non-support would shrivel and be useless.

There'll always be people who associate with interstate or no clubs. Pandering to that tiny percentage is just illogical.

You'd imagine any future SA club in the next 50 years or so would base itself in the South or East of the city, with Adelaide at West Lakes and Port in Alberton any possible third club would have to tentatively claim the south of the city in some attempt of geographic distinction (to avoid a Melbourne Heart situation) and possibly tee up the support of Norwood, Sturt and South to get some foothold in the football market in Adelaide. But as stated above, no single SANFL team we ever be promoted to the AFL ever again.

The SANFL approved a composite club in 1981 (like the Crows) but were told the VFL werent accepting applications (much like East Perth in 1980). In 1985, the NFL recommended a joint Port-Norwood side be entered in the VFL, but again the VFL stated it wasnt ready for expansion. Shortly after, the VFL board of directors appointed the VFL Commission, which was the forerunner to the later Independent AFL Commission, part of the change of direction was the decision to expand in 1987. The SANFL in the meantime declined an invitation in late 1986 to be part of the VFL having decided to join on its own terms (including not paying a license fee, and a restriction on team numbers to 14 - it ended up getting neither of these demands met).

I cant find anything on a norwood solo bid for the AFL until the joint bids that came before the Port sub license in the 90s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are there any transport options from Adelaide oval to the airport? If so how long would it take or what would a taxi cost?
Thinking of flying in/out for port game (sun twilight)
Cheers

well if you want a good look at adelaide oval, i hope you have foxtel

otherwise you'll be waiting until round 9

round. 9.

Ridiculous, just because the Swans have Buddy, doesn't mean we need to be bombarded with them all year. :thumbsdown:

BothShowdowns this year were quality games (especially the 2nd one), were in not for the Goodes incident, both Sydney vs Collingwood games were completely unremarkable.

ridiculous, but not surprising in the least

a grand total of four port games on FTA next year. reward for a good season and new stadium :thumbsu:

You get all 22 on TV where it counts though, so that 4 FTA argument is kind of irrelevant.

That said, the biggest game in SA for the year should have been on FTA.

You get all 22 on TV where it counts though, so that 4 FTA argument is kind of irrelevant.

A major money maker for a club is sponsorship.
Clubs will get more money through that if on FTA.
When a club has 1,000,000 eye balls a week on them ~80 of the season on FTA (ala. Collingwood) you're going to get considerably more in sponsorship than if you're only getting 300,000 eyes on you on foxtel 90% of the year (ala. Port)

This 'maximising tv money' is going to ruin smaller clubs.
Clubs like Port, Bullies, Melbourne, North etc. wont get tv time, smaller income now. But ontop of that, kids will be swayed to what they see on tv. Ratings show more watch FTA, so naturally, more kids will be swayed to the current bigger teams. Over time the fan bases of smaller teams will shrink and larger teams grow because of this. Creating a bigger divide and ruining the game more.

going off on a bit of a tangent here, but it's not irrelevant. how are you supposed to pitch the club to sponsors looking for national exposure? holden probably get more value out of sponsoring nathan buckley's collar than renault do as port's major sponsor.

they won't stick around long if port are only on national tv four times a year; there are only so many cars you can sell in adelaide. and they would have been entitled to expect better as reward for taking a gamble on a struggling, unfashionable club.

edit: dirty bird beat me to it

This 'maximising tv money' is going to ruin smaller clubs.
Clubs like Port, Bullies, Melbourne, North etc. wont get tv time, smaller income now. But ontop of that, kids will be swayed to what they see on tv. Ratings show more watch FTA, so naturally, more kids will be swayed to the current bigger teams. Over time the fan bases of smaller teams will shrink and larger teams grow because of this. Creating a bigger divide and ruining the game more.

Couldn't agree more. It feels like a cop out when the CEO's go to the US on a fact finding mission to "research" equalisation when the FTA scheduling isn't equal at all. I'm more interested in the stadiums and teams interstate because I can't just walk to the games like i can in Melbourne, yet I can't watch them on TV, instead I have to watch Carlton play every friday night at Etihad.

Guess I'll have to go back to my rents to watch the first showdown on foxy, the last one was too good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back