Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL have announced that Showdown will be in ROUND 2, Saturday 29th March, Peter Rohde tonight said it will be either a twilight game 4:10pm or night game 7:10 pm. So should be great time for all footy fans either way.

What do you all think will be acceptable average crowds at adelaide oval next year? I think the Crows will be hoping for 45-50,000 and Port will be hoping for 30-35,000.

History in the making as the new turf finally starts to go down at the Adelaide Oval!!

uje4ype3.jpg

http://m.adelaidenow.com.au/news/so...at-adelaide-oval/story-fni6uo1m-1226744339846

AFL have announced that Showdown will be in ROUND 2, Saturday 29th March, Peter Rohde tonight said it will be either a twilight game 4:10pm or night game 7:10 pm. So should be great time for all footy fans either way.

What do you all think will be acceptable average crowds at adelaide oval next year? I think the Crows will be hoping for 45-50,000 and Port will be hoping for 30-35,000.

40,000 a pass mark for the Crows for mine.

We only averaged 33,000 this year, so a 7,000 increase would be a pretty impressive result.

Games against Melbourne, GWS, Bulldogs etc will struggle to attract 40,000 I would have thought, even with the new stadium.

40,000 a pass mark for the Crows for mine.

We only averaged 33,000 this year, so a 7,000 increase would be a pretty impressive result.

Games against Melbourne, GWS, Bulldogs etc will struggle to attract 40,000 I would have thought, even with the new stadium.

first year, I reckon these games will attract larger than normal crowds as the general public take the opportunity to see the new stadium. I would expect at least a 5,000 increase over the average crowd numbers fort these teams

first year, I reckon these games will attract larger than normal crowds as the general public take the opportunity to see the new stadium. I would expect at least a 5,000 increase over the average crowd numbers fort these teams

As would I. I'll certainly be going over when Melbourne plays there, and I won't be the only one.
Looks awesome.

As would I. I'll certainly be going over when Melbourne plays there, and I won't be the only one.
Looks awesome.

Reckon this is why the game that unveils it will get a good timeslot (the 7:10 on FTA as opposed to the 4:40), showing off the stadium to the rest of the country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have thought 40-45k for the Crows and 30-35k for Port.

Half the Crows supporter base is geriatric, so you have to wonder what the "I don't like driving in the city/I don't like the city/There's too many people/I love Football Park/Nursing Home" impact will have on Crows attendances.

They certainly aren't as popular as they used to be when they were selling out Footy Park from the early nineties to the early noughties, but they should get an increase at the Oval.

I would have thought 40-45k for the Crows and 30-35k for Port.

Half the Crows supporter base is geriatric, so you have to wonder what the "I don't like driving in the city/I don't like the city/There's too many people/I love Football Park/Nursing Home" impact will have on Crows attendances.

They certainly aren't as popular as they used to be when they were selling out Footy Park from the early nineties to the early noughties, but they should get an increase at the Oval.

Ditto for the Eagles, the move to the city should revitalise the support base, and my bet is that you will have a much younger demo attending games in the city.

I could rave on, but a waiting list of 10,000 ( REALLY 30/40K) for a seat at Eagles games is not good for football, although good for the Eagles, younger families who are the future get sick of waiting.

3rd team needed for WA.

Ditto for the Eagles, the move to the city should revitalise the support base, and my bet is that you will have a much younger demo attending games in the city.

I could rave on, but a waiting list of 10,000 ( REALLY 30/40K) for a seat at Eagles games is not good for football, although good for the Eagles, younger families who are the future get sick of waiting.

3rd team needed for WA.

Following that tangent for a moment, hopefully Adelaide/SA is in that position in 15 years time and a Norwood-Sturt can become our third team. A third WA team seems the most likely next "new" team to enter the AFL comp. Hopefully another SA team follows after that.

Following that tangent for a moment, hopefully Adelaide/SA is in that position in 15 years time and a Norwood-Sturt can become our third team. A third WA team seems the most likely next "new" team to enter the AFL comp. Hopefully another SA team follows after that.
There is never going to be another AFL team here in Adelaide. There is not enough demand for it.

There is never going to be another AFL team here in Adelaide. There is not enough demand for it.

Maybe not in my lifetime, but I would suggest it will happen. Mght take 50 years but it will happen. By then Melbourne might be actually able to support 10 teams....

Maybe not in my lifetime, but I would suggest it will happen. Mght take 50 years but it will happen. By then Melbourne might be actually able to support 10 teams....

There would need to be a major demographic shift for that to happen. Adelaide (and SA) is getting proportionally smaller every year as the population growth is considerably less than the rest of the country - and that's been happening for a long time. It was only 30 years ago that SA was larger than WA. Now WA has nearly a million more people, and most of that increase has been in Perth. 50 years ago Queensland was about 50% larger than SA. Now it's about 200%.

Obviously no-one knows what's going to happen over the next 50 years, but certainly the ABS isn't expecting much to change. If that's the case, then the prospect of a 3rd team isn't going to get any better.

I've got a few mates who don't go to AFL games, but frequently go to Norwood games at the Parade.

A few mates does not make a supporter base, but I think there's a significant number of ppl who are neither Crows, nor Power fans and who've been put off by the AAMI Stadium factor and the bingo demographic at Crows games who would fancy jumping on board a "new" team that also has a rich history.

Whether there's enough corporate support is another question entirely and I'm sure the answer is no unfortunately.

I'd love to see Norwood get promoted to the AFL; rich history, one of the best jumpers in footy and the Norwood v Port rivalry in the AFL would be epic.

Norwood had their chance and they blew it. It is not going to happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back