Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Makes me think a lot of Norwood Oval - Long skinny ground, stand around one pocket and along one wing:
coopersstadiumnorwood.jpg

And the Edwin Smith Stand at Norwood looks like a larger version of the Cresswell Stand too

It's interesting that the huge scores in the shield game, and characteristics of the pitch haven't been analysed yet. I'm betting many knockers were hopeful of a goat track type score so they could trash the drop in pitches.

All I have seen and heard is its been good for batting, not heaps of bounce, and takes spin. Transmission normal, and this pitch is in its first effort.

It's interesting that the huge scores in the shield game, and characteristics of the pitch haven't been analysed yet. I'm betting many knockers were hopeful of a goat track type score so they could trash the drop in pitches.

All I have seen and heard is its been good for batting, not heaps of bounce, and takes spin. Transmission normal, and this pitch is in its first effort.

Sounds like your typical AO pitch

The Cricinfo report only says that
its drop-in pitch failed to deteriorate quickly enough to afford the bowlers enough variation for a result

So really Damian Hough probably played it a little safer than he needed so it wouldn't crack up at 12.30 on Day 1.

adelaideoval113sx2.jpg

The way I remember Adelaide oval, Creswell Stand, terraces.

Really looks nothing special from this angle.
Great photo. Thats exactly how it looked back in early eighties when i first watched a Test. I remember watching the likes of the great D.K. Lillee, Marshy and the Chappells. It doesnt look like much from that shot, but it was a very special, beautiful place to be to watch cricket.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/spor...sque-adelaide-on-global-map-1-6248607#content

This article from Yorkshire Post provides a very good view of the new oval.
I especially like the comparison to Wembley:
...the Oval has always exuded a genteel and enchanting quality that few other venues in the world have been able to match.
However, a bit like Wembley in the old stadium’s final days before demolition in 2000, the jewel in South Australia’s sporting crown had started to fade.

Makes me even more proud of our new jewel!

Then again, he ends it saying it's now FIFA compliant?
I thought FIFA requirements were that there was 0 standing room.

I know the surface, media and lighting were all now FIFA compliant, but I thought that hill still was a hidnerance? Or is that only for the world cup?

I know the surface, media and lighting were all now FIFA compliant, but I thought that hill still was a hidnerance? Or is that only for the world cup?
Yes. They'll need a temporary stand if they want people to watch from the hill.

Simple solution to that. Don't put people on the hill. Empty hill = FIFA complaince, as would temporary stands.
Friendlies can be played there, but World Cup or other major international events can't unless they do something about/with the hill.
Remember NZ played the Socceroos there in a friendly when the only upgrade was the Western stand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It gets the 40,000 required without the hill, they could always just close it off.

Great to hear that the Southern stand has already been completed, according to that article anyway.

It will be open at the shield game this week

there are any number of bundeslegia grounds with standing including Allianz in Munich, they actually took the seats out, they only put the seats back in for UEFA/FIFA games. many others have very basic seats that are used only for UEFA games.

at AO they'd just block off the hill and the ground is compliant.

just had a thought, maybe for really big games they could have the guys from Flemington and Rosehill racecourses come in and have the hill as a flower garden. would certainly make it unique.

Went for a look just before. Absolutely stunning.

I think that Adelaide Oval will be by far the best stadium in Australia and will be up there with the very best in the world. I've been to Yankee Stadium, The Emirates, Wembley, MetLife, etc. and from what I've seen, Adelaide Oval certainly stacks up against them. It may not be the biggest stadium, but it is a high quality build that is a fundamental asset to the masterplan of Adelaide's progression.

BOi0W.jpg

I think that Adelaide Oval will be by far the best stadium in Australia and will be up there with the very best in the world. I've been to Yankee Stadium, The Emirates, Wembley, MetLife, etc. and from what I've seen, Adelaide Oval certainly stacks up against them. It may not be the biggest stadium, but it is a high quality build that is a fundamental asset to the masterplan of Adelaide's progression.

BOi0W.jpg
Holy shit, that is stunning!

BOi0W.jpg
Might look the best but the MCG is and will always be the best stadium in Australia. The atmosphere it can generate is amazing. No other place like it.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

Might look the best but the MCG is and will always be the best stadium in Australia. The atmosphere it can generate is amazing. No other place like it.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

No one is saying otherwise. Adelaide Oval is great, but nothing compares to the MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back