Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be great to see it land a Socceroos friendly, seeing as AO missed out on seeing Asian Cup action.
There is rumour that New York Red Bulls will play Adelaide United at Adelaide Oval in February.

Tim Cahill and Thierry Henry play for the Red Bulls.

There is rumour that New York Red Bulls will play Adelaide United at Adelaide Oval in February.

Tim Cahill and Thierry Henry play for the Red Bulls.

Adelaide Oval would still be incomplete though, and the centre wicket will still be in place.

Can't see this happening.

I'd say any Soccer matches happening at Adelaide Oval would be either in late September/Late March if using an Australian team (United etc) or in winter if using the Socceroos, otherwise they'll be playing on the cricket pitches - which has been done before but I doubt anybody from either cricket or football saw this as ideal.

Went for a look just before. Absolutely stunning.

I think that Adelaide Oval will be by far the best stadium in Australia and will be up there with the very best in the world. I've been to Yankee Stadium, The Emirates, Wembley, MetLife, etc. and from what I've seen, Adelaide Oval certainly stacks up against them. It may not be the biggest stadium, but it is a high quality build that is a fundamental asset to the masterplan of Adelaide's progression.

BOi0W.jpg

That appears to be a very similar design to the newer MCG stands (must be what's 'in' these last 10 or so years). If that's the case, it'll be an amazing stadium to go to.

Reading an adelaidenow article on the rolling stones gig.

Opens by saying up to 70,000 people will attend (as has always been stated as the concert capacity due to use of the ground) but then ends by saying because of the size of the stage (and presumably blocking off of the Northern end) that capacity will be 45,000.

Terrible journalism! Surely the capacity can be cleared up.

I suspect it is the latter number with the former being the number hyped as the max possible and the government not wanting to reduce excitement by revealing it wont be the case here.

Really should have had them use a stage that is positioned in the centre of the ground (can still have ramps going to all 4 directions to reach the fences), premium sears around it, GA on the hill and use the whole stadium instead of 2/3 of it

If they put the stage at the northern end people can sit in 85-90% of the eastern and western stands, and 100% of the southern stand. Plus all of the playing arena not covered by the stage.
473794-adelaide-oval-redevelopment.jpg

I am. MCG is over rated.

Agreed, worked at the MCG for quite a while and really unless you sit in the long room every match the ground itself is completely soulless, no real character except for the fact that it is big. Yeah it has history but the ground itself is nothing spectacular. People say the ground has great atmosphere with big crowds, but come on any large crowd of passionate fans will create their own atmosphere.

Been to a couple of grand finals at the MCG, Anzac Day, Collingwood v Carlton, Carlton v Richmond and all that but they have nothing on a test match at the Adelaide Oval. My most cherished sporting memory as a spectator; the intensity on the field, true greats of the game at their best, the crowd's enthusiasm, the barmy army, watching the stands fill up after lunch time as everyone in the city realised what has happening, watching the sun begin to set over the George Giffen Stand and seeing Australia's score click over to 168 on the old scoreboard...I doubt I'll ever witness a better spectacle.

The Adelaide Oval before its redevelopment was Australia's perfect cricket ground. But now AFL is coming to the ground and the redevelopment is happening I think it will be the perfect multi-purpose oval, perfect size for the city, world class facilities for spectators and players, perfect location, and most of all it's ability to retain a sense character. Touring around the new Western Stand this summer the SACA members have facilities equal to that of the MCC (I personally would say better because I love the side on positioning), and that Sheffield Shield looks magnificent taking pride of place in the members' stand. The MCG is overhyped, the Adelaide Oval has and always will be the best.

Agreed, worked at the MCG for quite a while and really unless you sit in the long room every match the ground itself is completely soulless, no real character except for the fact that it is big. Yeah it has history but the ground itself is nothing spectacular. People say the ground has great atmosphere with big crowds, but come on any large crowd of passionate fans will create their own atmosphere.

Been to a couple of grand finals at the MCG, Anzac Day, Collingwood v Carlton, Carlton v Richmond and all that but they have nothing on a test match at the Adelaide Oval. My most cherished sporting memory as a spectator; the intensity on the field, true greats of the game at their best, the crowd's enthusiasm, the barmy army, watching the stands fill up after lunch time as everyone in the city realised what has happening, watching the sun begin to set over the George Giffen Stand and seeing Australia's score click over to 168 on the old scoreboard...I doubt I'll ever witness a better spectacle.

The Adelaide Oval before its redevelopment was Australia's perfect cricket ground. But now AFL is coming to the ground and the redevelopment is happening I think it will be the perfect multi-purpose oval, perfect size for the city, world class facilities for spectators and players, perfect location, and most of all it's ability to retain a sense character. Touring around the new Western Stand this summer the SACA members have facilities equal to that of the MCC (I personally would say better because I love the side on positioning), and that Sheffield Shield looks magnificent taking pride of place in the members' stand. The MCG is overhyped, the Adelaide Oval has and always will be the best.

Careful, they'll run you out of town with that sort of attitude...... a red light has already gone off at Spring Street and you are now officially an enemy of the state.

If they put the stage at the northern end people can sit in 85-90% of the eastern and western stands, and 100% of the southern stand. Plus all of the playing arena not covered by the stage.
473794-adelaide-oval-redevelopment.jpg

Seems like the most sensible option. Not sure why they'd choose a different setup TBH.

I'd say any Soccer matches happening at Adelaide Oval would be either in late September/Late March if using an Australian team (United etc) or in winter if using the Socceroos, otherwise they'll be playing on the cricket pitches - which has been done before but I doubt anybody from either cricket or football saw this as ideal.

Those exhibition matches with overseas teams are always shit quality anyway. Neither team cares about the result and the players mostly care just about not getting injured. They're purely about generating revenue, and consequently I doubt the centre wicket would pose too much of an issue.

I am. MCG is over rated.

Hardly.
I really like the Adelaide Oval design and do think less is more a lot of the time, particularly when you can have fantastic features such as the hill, the view of the fig trees and the cathedral and the strategically placed gaps in the stands, but to write off the 'G as soulless and overrated simply because of it's colossal size and the stands ringing completely around it is ridiculous.
The ground is absolutely bursting at the seams with history all around the ground. The MCC Stand is spectacular, particularly inside. Walking inside the gate and looking straight up to your left and seeing the big 'MAILEY, SARFRAZ, COWPER, RICHARDS' scores, the boards upon boards of recognition, taking the escalators or stairs up and getting a history lesson in sporting excellence... The Olympic Stand usually features history on advertising boards on the part of the clubs - MFC utilise this, it's a shame their crowds aren't bigger to complement the excellent signage. The new scoreboards can be seen from the Eureka Tower and are designed nicely, framed by the glass.
It's all good and well to say it doesn't have that Adelaide village feel, but it holds 100,000 and fills it 80-90% very, very frequently.

Back on topic though, I'm loving the design of Adelaide Oval. I really liked it prior to the redevelopment but having a sports and community hub in the center of the city is pure gold. My Dogs are lucky enough to be playing them in Round 14 next year, I'll be trying my hardest to make the trip over!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes it is.

MCG's just a stadium that does everything good. Nothing great, nothing bad.

I'm interested to know your reasoning behind that.
I don't necessarily disagree with your second statement, just want to know.

I'm interested to know your reasoning behind that.
I don't necessarily disagree with your second statement, just want to know.
3 words - Great Southern Stand.

Looks like CA and SACA are negotiating that if the Redbacks get to host the SS final it will played 30 March-3 April, Sunday-Thursday. So straight after the Power-Crows game they'd drop one pitch back in and play the final, then pull it out again Thursday night ready for Saturday Crows-Swans game.
Good way to show the multi-purpose nature of the venue :p

red seats are level 2?
Unsure. I think it's the red seats open as they're still laying the concrete for the last of the seats behind the sightscreen (you can see the concrete pouring truck on the live stream of the match).
Consistency with the Western Stand says it should be level 2, yes. Wait and see I guess!

Unsure. I think it's the red seats open as they're still laying the concrete for the last of the seats behind the sightscreen (you can see the concrete pouring truck on the live stream of the match).
Consistency with the Western Stand says it should be level 2, yes. Wait and see I guess!

Level 3 are the red seats in the Southern Stand.
http://www.adelaideoval.com.au/84/stadium-map.aspx

Now I'm heaps confuddled :S haha
Red seat are the first tier of the Southern Stand. That is where I am sitting for the footy.

I was at the ground on Friday arvo. They are still putting seats into the top tier of the Southern Stand. The seats are green in the top tier.

Yeah I was confused when they said level 1, but they must be talking about the red seat section.

You'd have to walk through the ground level, but take the stairs or lift to level "1".

Nup, based on the map, only the existing western stand has a level 2 and 4. The new southern and eastern stand have only Levels 1, 3 and 5, so the middle tier with the reds seats is actually level 3 (which will be open today). Make sense;) What would make it confusing is if they will then include the corporate box/TV as a separate level

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back