Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks mate. We'll do that Friday, however we might organise a limo for the Sunday after terrorising the bookies at Morphettville on the Saturday :thumbsu:
Use the tram, definitely. But get off at City West stop (the one after the Railway Station) and go up onto the bridge, and walk to AO that way. Saves you walking all the way around the oval. Map: http://goo.gl/maps/JCl01 :)

There is GA standing room at the back of seats in both the new stands so I would expect GA ticket holders can enter through Torrens Stand.

I would assume for the test these would only be for those who have bought a seat but have chosen to stand. Would be a logistical nightmare allowing GA ticket holders into the Torrens Stand, though if the scanners are as state of the art as we're told they are, I'm sure they'll be able to count x number of GA's before stopping them if they allow GA people to stand at the back of the Torrens Stand.

What impact will a Rolling Stones concert have on the oval surface? The first showdown is only 1 week after the concert. Be a shame if it's not looking its best on such a big occasion.

What impact will a Rolling Stones concert have on the oval surface? The first showdown is only 1 week after the concert. Be a shame if it's not looking its best on such a big occasion.

I went to both the AC/DC and the Foo Fighters concerts at the Adelaide Oval and the ground was fine after both of them. You really won't know until after the concert and a lot will depend on the weather anyway??

One thing's for sure, the Adelaide Oval has some of the best ground staff in the world and they'll be under a lot of pressure to get it right. I highly doubt it'll be anything but perfect on the night! If they didn't think they could do it, it wouldn't be happening, I'd suggest? The Adelaide Oval doesn't have a flawless record for nothing!

Mate you can catch the Tram all the way from Glenelg to the Adelaide Train Station stop. Once you're there, get off, walk through to the new footbridge over the River Torrens and straight into the Oval!

Is the footbridge going to be ready for the cricket? I thought it was a fair way off completion and was planned to be finished in time for footy season.

Is the footbridge going to be ready for the cricket? I thought it was a fair way off completion and was planned to be finished in time for footy season.

Yes, the footbridge will be open temporarily for the Test Match but it won't be complete. Once the game's over, it'll be closed off again as a construction site and won't be finished until the beginning of the AFL Season in March 2014. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong?

Yes, the footbridge will be open temporarily for the Test Match but it won't be complete. Once the game's over, it'll be closed off again as a construction site and won't be finished until the beginning of the AFL Season in March 2014. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong?

Yes that's correct. Looking at the bridge recently it's going to be fairly uncomplete for the ashes, even if it's technically useable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on the photos coming out recently (Crows' launch, etc), the southern (river/city) end of the Western Stand will be the Chappell Stand, and the northern (cathedral/scoreboard) end will be the Sir Edwin Smith Stand.
1453490_10152073896433919_276149826_n.jpg

758554-1406a736-58e3-11e3-ba26-b7fc4856beca.jpg

I believe the middle section will be the (Sir Donald) Bradman Stand, but I'm wondering whether they will name it in the same style as the other two thirds of the pavillion, given the different design. Maybe either side of the clock, or on the front of Level 4?
Do people think the Torrens (southern) stand and the different names of the parts of the eastern pavillion will be named similarly? I know there's currently advertising on the front of level 2 on the eastern but this could change when the stand names are made official and the stand is completed.

Confirming Sir Donald Bradman Pavilion, named on front of level 4.
You can see it here - it's very hard to pick especially as it's half in shade.
1461763_10152073896688919_1411816583_n.jpg

hitthepost I think the signage is just for the ashes test match. Should be gone by the end of the cricket season, it might stick around during the big bash season.
Yeah, they're just maximising advertising space.
Would anticipate most of that same space to be utilized with football advertising in footy season though, as it would get a lot of camera time. Maybe with gaps for the pavilion names in the middle of each section.

I thought I would wander down to have look last night and the gate was open with no security???
So I strolled in and took these pics.

The place is a coliseum. I don't think pictures really capture how compact the ground is and how close all the seats are. There is no other stadium like it in Australia. It should become a very intimidating ground.

I just hope the playing surface is not too small for open and free flowing football.
TEeJzBU.jpg

gzLL9ao.jpg

3htgvEr.jpg

gFmoN4y.jpg

hoM0rYo.jpg

P1kCfHR.jpg

Looks amazing! Can't wait to ride in for The Showdown and then have a debrief at The British!!!

Looks great in the pics from the above link. First class all the way.
Only thing is the footy will look amature on TV.

Kicking goals at the city end, no probs but at the other end on 'the hill' which is no longer a hill, it will be like a bloody amature suburban match with kids lining up to fetch the footy.

Also on a windy day the city end will be the scoring end. Best seats in the house, members side, city end.
Wonder how long they'll leave the massive gap there.

Also on a windy day the city end will be the scoring end. Best seats in the house, members side, city end.

Depends on which way the wind is blowing. If its a gale force southerly, northern end will obviously be the scoring end. I think too much is being made of the gap at the northern end.

I thought I would wander down to have look last night and the gate was open with no security???
So I strolled in and took these pics.

The place is a coliseum. I don't think pictures really capture how compact the ground is and how close all the seats are. There is no other stadium like it in Australia. It should become a very intimidating ground.

I just hope the playing surface is not too small for open and free flowing football.
There's an extra 4m width to be added on the eastern side once they complete that side of the ground. Then it will have pretty much the same dimensions as Subiaco.

Looks great in the pics from the above link. First class all the way.
Only thing is the footy will look amature on TV.

Kicking goals at the city end, no probs but at the other end on 'the hill' which is no longer a hill, it will be like a bloody amature suburban match with kids lining up to fetch the footy.

Isn't that a good thing? Might be a little bit of fun for security to get the ball back but really, people on TV seeing the fact that there are excited kids at the game can only be a good thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back