Game Day Adelaide vs Geelong "Catsablanca"

Remove this Banner Ad

They were non competitive. To say so is not negative.

To approach our season on the basis that we should accept in advance defeats of this variety is a far more negative view point in actuality.

Great win loss record, can't beat top four teams. We've seen this particular movie already.

If we had won last night, would you have counted it as us beating a top 4 side?

To approach our season on the basis that we should accept in advance defeats of this variety is a far more negative view point in actuality.

Great win loss record, can't beat top four teams. We've seen this particular movie already.

We were pantsed last night, i said as much in the squiggle thread

BUT, we have beaten top 4 teams. We beat last year's grand finalist on their own ground, whilst holding them to their first EVER quarter at home scoreless. We were also down by 24 points at one stage. That was pretty good.

The Sydney win was epic and one of the best wins in quite some time. They're currently 2nd

Would Geelong have been counted as beating a top 4 team had we actually played a decent game and won? They were 7th pre match

Or do we wait to the end of the H&A season and see who is top 4 then and count the wins at that stage? Then we can truly see who finishes top 4

Let's say Hawks, GWS, Sydney and us finish top 4. We can't play ourselves, so we have played 3 of those teams and we're 2 and 1. That's a pretty good record. Would that be good STO? Would you be happy with that?

Just remember, you said we were in for a long season after round 1. That was not a correct call. Do we need to win against the better teams? Yes! Luckily we'll get more shots in September. We've put ourselves in that position

Logic says we may struggle against Cats, Hawks and Swans, but sometimes footy aint logical.... Logically Cats shouldn't have lost to Pies, Blues to Saints... but they did. Let the emotion ride and let's have some fun!

Last edited:
The "our record against top 4 sides is poor" argument is self fulfilling, because the outcome of the game changes the ladder.

We win, we get 4 points, they don't. We move up the ladder, they slide down. If we had won last night, we wouldn't have beaten a top 4 side, but somehow we lost to one.

Unless you win literally every game, the argument has only 3 possible outcomes:
1. We have a good record against top 4 sides, but a bad record against others.
2. We are top of the ladder.
3. We have have a bad record against top 4 sides.

Geelong are the exemplar. Good record against fellow competitors, yet inexplicably lose to Carlton, and other cellar dwellers.

At season start .....would you have taken our current win/loss record and ladder position after losing Dangerfield?

We're still on an upward curve ...last year to this year, with some serious talent developing in the SANFL ..Menzel, Hampton, Keath, Doedee, Wigg & Greenwood .......it would have to be an extreme sourpuss to be discontented

We could be back in 2nd next week too.....
Well, we should still go in as favourites for all our remaining games.

To beat swans percentage we need to win by 76 points and score 1.34 points for every point the bombers score. That is assuming Sydney hold their percentage at 134%. For example, if bombers score 50 points, we need to score 143 points to get to 134%.

Second spot is up to us to achieve.

At season start .....would you have taken our current win/loss record and ladder position after losing Dangerfield?

We're still on an upward curve ...last year to this year, with some serious talent developing in the SANFL ..Menzel, Hampton, Keath, Doedee, Wigg & Greenwood .......it would have to be an extreme sourpuss to be discontented

I reject the logic that says that you set your goals at the start of the season and don't adjust them based upon the circumstances that present themselves.

I'm also far from convinced that our talent in the SANFL is better than that developing for other clubs.

The "our record against top 4 sides is poor" argument is self fulfilling, because the outcome of the game changes the ladder.

We win, we get 4 points, they don't. We move up the ladder, they slide down. If we had won last night, we wouldn't have beaten a top 4 side, but somehow we lost to one.

Unless you win literally every game, the argument has only 3 possible outcomes:
1. We have a good record against top 4 sides, but a bad record against others.
2. We are top of the ladder.
3. We have have a bad record against top 4 sides.

Geelong are the exemplar. Good record against fellow competitors, yet inexplicably lose to Carlton, and other cellar dwellers.

You've just now realised the correlation between winning and ladder position?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only the likelihood of top two. Winning in the first week of finals is the goal, much harder if away but I think it's not a killer to our season to lose away to the Cats.
I agree that winning the first week of finals in a top four qualifying final is the goal.

I think these games give an indication of whether we can win in the first week of finals.

I reject the logic that says that you set your goals at the start of the season and don't adjust them based upon the circumstances that present themselves.

I'm also far from convinced that our talent in the SANFL is better than that developing for other clubs.
of course you don't ......how to answer a question without actually saying anything or taking a position

of course you don't ......how to answer a question without actually saying anything or taking a position

Your problem is that you've always assumed more of your content makes it of a higher quality.

If the argument being advanced can be rejected simply, a more expansive answer is unnecessary.

Good one, smart arse. You don't see why your "our record against top 4 sides is bad" argument is ridiculous?

The entire collection of a tracked ladder is ridiculous! Why rank the teams when the winning and losing the next week will impact upon where they finish?!

And other riddles that noone with any sense is asking.

Your problem is that you've always assumed more of your content makes it of a higher quality.

If the argument being advanced can be rejected simply, a more expansive answer is unnecessary.
upload_2016-7-24_18-56-34.png

The entire collection of a tracked ladder is ridiculous! Why rank the teams when the winning and losing the next week will impact upon where they finish?!

And other riddles that noone with any sense is asking.

Riddle me this original Riddle which you still haven't answered:

Last night, apparently we lost to a top 4 side.

If we had won, did we beat a top 4 side?

Riddle me this original Riddle which you still haven't answered:

Last night, apparently we lost to a top 4 side.

If we had won, did we beat a top 4 side?

Why are you asking me to explain the relationship between winning and ladder position?

Do you also want me to explain how shoelaces work?

Why are you asking me to explain the relationship between winning and ladder position?

Do you also want me to explain how shoelaces work?

Please do.

While you do, please also explain how a record, the basis of which is inconsistent, can be consistently relied upon to support your argument.

Unless your argument is specious, and you know it.

Of course our record against top 4 sides is bad. The nature of the ladder means is it basically GUARANTEED to be bad, unless we are clearly the best, or wildly inconsistent.

Please do.

While you do, please also explain how a record, the basis of which is inconsistent, can be consistently relied upon to support your argument.

Unless your argument is specious, and you know it.

Of course our record against top 4 sides is bad. The nature of the ladder means is it basically GUARANTEED to be bad, unless we are clearly the best, or wildly inconsistent.

At what point do you want to realise that your last paragraph removes the utility of all that preceded it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Adelaide vs Geelong "Catsablanca"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back